Size comparison of scales - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > General Model Train Discussion
Forgotten your password?

General Model Train Discussion Mostly anything goes, especially train related!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #41
MtRR75
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdeen View Post
Did my fuzzy brain do this scale speed approximation right?

If 60 mph = 88 fps, then on a 1:87 scale, 60 mph should be about 1 foot per second.

If true, then timing my HO train at a moderately slow rate, it took four seconds to go four feet (1 fps). Therefore it was going a scaled rate of about 60 mph.
Your calculations are correct.
MtRR75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 AM   #42
rkenney
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, O27, N, STD Gauge
Railroad scale speed calculator:

http://www.mcr5.org/articals/speed.php
rkenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:24 AM   #43
microbuss
Brakeman

I likes G scale cause it is nice to cuddle a loco
I likes HOn3 too
BUT both are REALLY expensive
microbuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2015, 11:09 AM   #44
norgale
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: ho
I'm usually happy if my trains will run a any speed. However when watching some video of a long freight going a scale 25 MPH on a hug layout with fifty foot long straightaways I get really really impatient and bored. Even real RR's don't move very fast. It takes five days for a train to cross this country and that time hasn't improved in many decades.
Speed 'er up boys. Get 'er done!

https://youtu.be/LhOs0tddGKg
norgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #45
Water Stop
Dispatcher

When I recently converted from O-scale to HO scale, I experienced an instant 3-dimensional expansion of space.

HO is 1/87.1, and O-scale is 1/48.

The linear ratio between these scales is 55% or 1.81, taking the reciprocal.

Thus, what used to be 1.127 scale miles on my 124-foot main line run is now 2.045 scale miles.

My artificial mountains are now 1.81 times as high, or 81% higher!

The volume and weight ratio of exactly-scaled O and HO locomotives is 1.81 cubed, or 1.81x1.81x1.81, or 5.93 times the mass!

That's all.....

Water Stop Hal
Water Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #46
jimtone
Gang Labourer

scale

I'm trying to find the correct scale of the Mar-Line trailer truck that came mounted on the Marx flat car? I can't determine if it is 1:64 or not? When I find the actual trailer and or tractor truck, I never see any dimensions describing the size. My brother has the Marx 666 set with that car and trailer truck, and I have the same flat car but would like to find a similar trailer truck to mount on it. The originals are far too expensive and I'm wanting to find something else to fill the bill. I'm pretty sure the width is about 1 9/16 inch. The 1:64 th trucks I see look to be Hot Wheels size and that isn't the correct size. Any info would help.
jimtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #47
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
I'm not sure it was any scale. I've seen some Marx truck/flatcars from the 1950s that look to be around 1/50 scale, but many (don't know the era, but they look older) seem to be toys that just were desiged to be the right size to play with.

With respect to finding a truck/cab of the right size, it's likely to be 1/43, 1/50 or 1/64 so you could just watch for those until you find one that looks good with it.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #48
jimtone
Gang Labourer

I'm sure the truck mounted in our set was made by line-mar with the red truck and white trailer. I've seen that Sear sets came with thr rigs painted in Sears green and grey or orange with Allstate lables mounted on the same flat car or 2 trailers mounted back to back with no truck. Line-Mar has Marx pressed into the bottoms of the chassis.I will keep watching but thought there was an absolute measurement "sience" being discused here that I could learn to try shopping for other pressed steel vintage trailer trucks. I'm willing to make allowances for non original brands but even these aren't being given away so I really don't want to buy the wrong size several times before finding the correct one.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #49
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
I have one seen the Sears version with my own eyes. ERTL makes a couple of different ten-wheeler tractor trailers, each available in dozens of different company livery, that are very close in size the the Line-Mar Sears truck. The first time I saw a Line-Mar Sears truck at a swap meet, I thought i was one of those until I picked it up and looked more closely.

Here is one of the ERTLs so you know what I'm talking about . . .

http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_mod...ductCode=E9030

If you can't find the real thing these might do. You can often find them at swap meets for as low as $15. If not, you can check out ERTL offerings of trucks of the site in the link about. They have tons of trucks about that size.

the other option is o go to ebay and try o find one just like you want. My experience is that if it is old Marx stuff you want, you eventually succeed but it can take up to a year to find and score something rare that you want, and it can be cost more than you are originally want to pay - but after a year of looking, you do.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #50
jimtone
Gang Labourer

They have many of those savings bank trucks listed on Ebay for very low prices with the branding of AHL, but they are die cast which has to make them very heavy compared to the pressed steel model Mar-Line trailer truck that came with the 50s Marx set. I've saved several of those AHL trucks in "My Ebay" after writing the sellers for size verification on the width but still feel they'll be heavier than what I'd want to carry as a load. If I could verify the exact scale size, I'd be able to search other makers of pressed steel trucks from the same era. It's tuff writing so many listers asking for dimensions that may never be answered or takes days waiting. I've had one clown write me with the dimensions the day after their truck sold?? I also feel that waiting and searching is the only way to purchase an original and I'm not in a hurry, but thought getting the scale would help this from going wrong. Most listings don't have any size reference in them with some trucks looking exactly like the original Mar-Line but turning out to be 4 inches wide? If I were selling a vintage toy truck with photos on line, I'd have a ruler sitting next to it in every shot. It kills me that so many people listing on line are not willing to communicate with the buyer. If you are in an "E" business, it's almost impossible to not explain questions folks are asking?? "MODERN LIVING"!