Model Train Forum banner

No power, no circuit board?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  CTValleyRR 
#1 ·
Hope someone can help me.
I have a claim that the train I sold someone is "missing the circuit board required to power the engine" and "mth repair center told me you cannot get parts for these engines anywhere". Can someone give me a quick briefing on the internals of a mth HO engine?
The whole story sounds made up as I informed him to replace the battery before buying as it was NIB never opened and >20 years old.
He claims he tried recharging the battery first, I informed him that wasn't going to work. Then the claim it is missing parts. Forgive my ignorance but is it primarily a single circuit board and a battery component? I need your expertise to explain the basics and how to respond.

Thank you

sebastian

#5 ·
Model # 20-2223-1. Yes original everything as the box was never opened. If I opened it to replace the battery, it would be considered used and of significantly less value.
Any information on the internal boards and power supply would help. I have never taken one apart.

Thank you

#6 ·
Model # 20-2223-1. Yes original everything as the box was never opened. If I opened it to replace the battery, it would be considered used and of significantly less value.
Any information on the internal boards and power supply would help. I have never taken one apart.

#7 ·
Hi Sebastian: That model # comes up as an O scale DL109 locomotive. Is that correct?
If it is O, it may be better to post your question in the O scale forum section. A lot of those members never see the HO section.
But....one of the moderators here, Gunrunnerjohn, is an O scale electronics technician and he does check in on all the forums so I’m sure you can get some help. Hope it works out well.

#8 ·
I'm anything but an expert on MTH units, but nothing I've been able to dig up shows anything about a battery. So I don't know what to tell you.

However, I've seen enough horror stories about buyers on EBay and similar sites to know that there are some bad eggs out there, who will stop at nothing to try to scam you out of something you listed for sale. And, frankly, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you aren't one of those unscrupulous sellers who try to palm junk off on unsuspecting customers.

Was the box sealed? If so, tell him he received it in the condition promised in the listing and the sale is final. You are under no obligation to try to help him make the unit operational. Did you note that it was 20 years old? Anyone buying a 20 year old loco ought to expect the worst. But really, if your listing honestly reflected the condition of the loco, then he's full of it, and he's just trying to get something for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.