Model Train Forum banner

S Scale and American Flyer Information Resource sites

45K views 53 replies 21 participants last post by  AmFlyer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#24 ·
I like that site as well. Notice though they have changed the address a bit as well as eliminating the pictures. Need to go to main site as the above old link as posted does not work. http://americanflyerexpress.com/ or http://americanflyerexpress.com/?page_id=1046 for the AF Products Directory (need to use the blue selection bar at the top for tabs, what appear as buttons 1/3 way down do not act as selection buttons)

#6 ·
Great site with lots of AF wiring diagrams, etc. ...

Reckers, have you seen this site?
I was wiring everything bass ackwards:eek:
The color drawing had me all confused(I'm incredibly color-blind)
Had the "Better Half", look at the drawing. When she started :laugh:, I knew where the problem was(she really gets off on that!)

Hopefully, I'll be up and running soon. Keep your fingers crossed:)

Thanks for all the help!!!

http://www.rfgco.com/wiring.html

Jim

#10 · (Edited)
August first was the Two Year Anniversary of American Flyer Cabinet-Top Layout web site. These model S-scale trains ran on two rail track, with smoke, choo-choo, rail sounds, and much more "realistic appearance".
With over 48,000 views from 95 different countries we thank those who help build the dream of having a model train layout, no matter what country you live in. We will be adding more information to our web site as it comes available.

AZ-Flyer

#13 ·
I don't know if this is listed yet.

I never realized the some of the American flyer Locomotives were so big.
I guess all you old dogs know what they look like, maybe the link will be of help to someone new to Flyers.

http://www.geocities.com/theupstairstrain/engines-Northern.html

Edit,
I see the site is listed but not this page.

#15 ·
Does anyone make 'S' Scale anymore

When I was a boy my first train set was an American Flyer 3 rail system and that was the Christmas right about the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Do not remember much about it except that if the tinsel from the tree fell on the track it made a short.

The train only came out at Christmas and then I was not allowed to play with it unless my father was there

Some years after the war we moved to florida and a friend had a Lionel set, also 3 rail, and we put my loco on his track and poof it smoked and that was that, have no idea what happened to it after that.

Just Curious, I do HO gauge now in my old age

#16 ·
Hmm....I wonder why your AF loco was not OK with a
Lionel transformer. Should have been essentially
the same voltage as the AF transformer.

I see a lot of S scale cars at train shows but I have not
looked closely at them to know whether they are new
or restored.

Don

#17 ·
I remember taking that loco home and breaking out my AF track and trying to run it and nothing, so I put it away and never spoke of it again, did not want to face the wrath of my father.

Every year in the fall we could not wait for the Sears, Montgomery Ward and Penny catalogs to arrive, then we would circle the stuff we wanted, I used to droll over the train pages and circled the one I wanted, it never came tho, not until I was 14 and then I got an HO set for Christmas, you had to assemble everything, including the engine. Engine and tender, it was an 0-4-0, two flat cars and caboose, I used to take a little piece of punk. get it smoking and drop it in the smokestack.

#22 ·
I just noticed this unanswered post. All prewar Gilbert American Flyer was designed to operate on AC, even the HO engines. American Flyer transformers pre-Gilbert had multiple winding taps and some pairs of posts could provide as much as 24V. In 1938 Gilbert brought out a new line of transformers with only 3 posts, a Base Post, a 7 to 15V Post and a 15V Post. Along with this new engine designs were produced with worm gears and universal motors designed for 7 to 15V. The old design American Flyer transformers were still made, at least in 1938, but were not catalogued. The Gilbert designed engines should never be operated at 20V. If the commutator is dirty and the gears not well lubed it will cause the motor to fail. The postwar Lionel transformers will operate Gilbert trains, just do not let them run at full throttle and do not connect the accessories across 20V terminals.

#28 ·
That is a big project you have undertaken, there is clearly a lot of work that has been done. This should be a great help to people getting into American Flyer and to those who are not electrical or repair wizards. I clicked through a couple of links to understand the types of things included, while doing so I noticed an inadvertent color error. Under the heading "American Flyer Wiring Instructions", the second box is entitled "White". However the Gilbert wire color in the text is called out as black when it should be white since this sentence it discussing wire color per Gilbert for connections to the 7V to 15V post.
I encourage you to keep going.

#31 ·
Not sure if this thread is used any longer, but attached find a fabulous custom painter/detailer of all things trains (including S-gauge): thomscustomtrains.com

#32 ·
Thanks. No one is maintaining the listings. I checked some of the links in the first post, about 1/3 no longer work, the balance are good. Today there are a lot of new relevant sites, but some old, good ones, like the Denver Model Railroad site with its massive collection of links, have disappeared. I maintain a long list of web sites relevant to S gauge in my computer browser and share any that are relevant in response to specific requests and questions. That way I know the link I am providing works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.