UTLX modern decals - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Painting, detailing and decaling
Forgotten your password?

Painting, detailing and decaling Tips, techniques, and discussions about painting, detailing or decaling rolling stock or scenery.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
dalehenigman
Hobo

UTLX modern decals

I have an Atlas undec. 25500 tank car I would like to decal for UTLX, but cant find any decals. Does anyone know where to find modern UTLX decals, or why they seem not available? I would think they would be popular for those doing tank cars......Thanks......Dale.
dalehenigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
I'm guessing you're not looking for HO scale, because I see those all over the place.

Try Microscale or Tichy Train Group. They both have a lot of different sets. But also Google "decals for model railroads" and you will turn up another dozen companies, many of whom would be happy to create them for you.

You will need to provide a scale, though, and you should really know what the model is of. Atlas is a model railroad manufacturer; you will need to search for decals for the specific car IOW, it's not an Atlas 25.5K gallon, but (maybe) aTrinity?. UTLX is a leasing company, not a manufacturer.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
UTLX is a leasing company, not a manufacturer.
UTLX = Union Tank Car Co. which is both a major lessor and manufacturer of tank cars. While they do have some cars from other builders (usually secondhand fleet acquisitions), the majority of the UTLX fleet are built by UTC.
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
I'm guessing you're not looking for HO scale, because I see those all over the place.

Try Microscale or Tichy Train Group. They both have a lot of different sets.
He said "modern". Unfortunately, Microscale's UTLX sets are 1960s-70s style lettering, and Tichy only does steam era.
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv_acr View Post
UTLX = Union Tank Car Co. which is both a major lessor and manufacturer of tank cars. While they do have some cars from other builders (usually secondhand fleet acquisitions), the majority of the UTLX fleet are built by UTC.
Good point. i thought they were a rebuilder / refurbished. Still, the, the make and model of the prototype are what you would need to identify the decal set.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv_acr View Post
He said "modern". Unfortunately, Microscale's UTLX sets are 1960s-70s style lettering, and Tichy only does steam era.
So I guess those are "ancient history"? Most of the sets I saw said, 1960 and later." That sounds to me like the design hasn't changed.

I guess I should have given the OP more credit for looking. Wouldn't have been the first time someone posted an "I can't find it" thread about something that is plentiful...