My new classification yard - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Layout Design Forum
Forgotten your password?

Layout Design Forum Discussion resource for planning your dream layout, large, small or micro!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
MikeL
Brakeman

My new classification yard

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start constructing a new and better yard for my layout. Attached is my first draft.

My layout is currently app. 10' X 6', the yard will be about 10' X 1'. This is about the maximum space I have.

Any thoughts / comments? Do I need a run around track? If so, where should it go?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png yard snipping pic.PNG (83.7 KB, 9 views)
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Dennis461
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO
Lets do an example. All yard tracks empty; pull engine out of shed; couple to caboose on the caboose track; put caboose on end (right side) of middle yard track. CANNOT be done without using the main line as a runaround
Old 09-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #3
CTValleyRR
Train Master

I would say connect the right side of all those leads with a ladder parallel to the one on the left side. For more fluidity, add some crossovers in the middle, as well.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
MikeL
Brakeman

Thanks Dennis and CTValley.

For the crossovers, does it matter which tracks should be used (1-2 starting from the top, 2-3, 3-4?

I have another DCC question: Is it recommended to have feeder wires on all the yard tracks?

Mike
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
I have another DCC question: Is it recommended to have feeder wires on all the yard tracks?
That's not so much a DCC question as a power reliability question. More feeders=better power reliability. Only difference between DC and DCC is you can wire the whole thing as one power block and leave it on all the time, instead of using toggles or "power-routing" switches to turn off power to tracks not being used (in order to park an unused engine somewhere.
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Dennis461
Engineer

Found some good reading material

Add many feeders.
Old proverb, better to have them and not need them
rather than
need them and not have them

Found some good reading material

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/d3h1.pdf

http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html

https://nmramcrdiv10.yolasite.com/re...c%20120615.pdf
Old 09-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Quote:
Thanks Dennis and CTValley.

For the crossovers, does it matter which tracks should be used (1-2 starting from the top, 2-3, 3-4?

Mike
I'm the resident "feeder contrarian". Not that I don't believe in feeders, but I do think many model railroaders waste a lot of time, effort and money installing far too many of them.

If you're not going to solder your rail joiners, then, yeah, install as many as you can. If you're soldering the joiners, one pair of feeders every 10 feet or so will be sufficient.

It really isn't that hard to add them after the fact, if you find you need another set or two.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
DonR
Train Master

Mike

Your choice of turnouts relates to the question,
do I need drops on my yard tracks.

Some turnouts, such as Peco Insulfrog, are
power routing. They 'turn off' power to divert if
points are set to straight. If you prefer to have
all your yard tracks powered at all times and you
use Insulfrog turnouts, you'll
definitely need drops from the frog rails of each track.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #9
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West runaround track

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm about to start constructing a new and better yard for my layout. Attached is my first draft.

My layout is currently app. 10' X 6', the yard will be about 10' X 1'. This is about the maximum space I have.

Any thoughts / comments? Do I need a run around track? If so, where should it go?

Thanks
MikeL;

The top two tracks, one labeled "existing track", are a runaround track. If the "existing track" is part of the main line, then you don't have a runaround track that is separate from the main line. Is that what you are asking?

Your yard contains several crossovers. Depending on what type of turnouts you are using, the crossovers may be a problem.
If you are using Atlas "Snap Switch" turnouts, they have a tight 18"radius curved diverting route. I'm assuming HO-scale here.
The N-scale Atlas "Snap Switch" uses a 19" radius curve for it's diverging route. For N-scale, that's a wide curve, but it is still a curve.
In a crossover, the diverging routes of the two turnouts that make up the crossover meet head on. If curved, those two diverging routes will then form a reverse curve. In HO scale, they form a tight reverse curve, which is even worse. Yards are where a locomotive is most likely to push a string of cars backwards. If those cars are going to be pushed through a reverse curve, they may derail.

Now if you are using any other turnout, including Atlas "Custom Line" turnouts with a frog number (#6, #8, etc), or Peco, or Micro Engineering, or Walthers/Shinohara, then the diverging routes will be straight track, not curved. This eliminates the reverse curve where the two diverging route tracks meet. There is still an inherent reverse "curve", of sorts, in the fact that the cars must still go one way, and then the opposite way, as they traverse the crossover point rails. However, with #6, or larger, turnouts, this will be a pretty mild reversal, and it should be reliable.

There are also potential reverse curves where the yard connects to the main oval curves at either end. Look at the left side of your diagram. A train is traveling through a left-hand curve (the oval mainline) and as it peels off into the yard, it must suddenly turn right. Tha same situation exists on the right side of the diagram. Using curved turnouts, cut into the existing main line curve, will help. If the outer leg of these curved turnouts then enters straight track for 80 scale feet or so, then the reverse curve is eliminated. If your existing oval curves are 18" radius, and you are using Atlas "Snap Switch" turnouts, then the curved diverging route of the turnout should be cut into the main line curve, with the straight route of the turnout going to the yard.

Traction Fan