Model Train Forum banner

Remember the old Atlas Blueprints phamphlet? The Super Pretzel or the Dogbone

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  rsv1ho 
#1 ·
I can't decide which one to model. Any suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks, I have had this booklet for years, just found it with a bunch of other train stuff.

Never built a layout using one of it's designs, always did my own. But I like both of these and can't make up my mind which one to use.

Getting close to crunch time. .

Attachments

#6 ·
Depending on your available space, you may want to pay attention to the different dimensions between these. The pretzel is 8' long on each leg, but the dogbone is 10' long along one side and 6' along the other.

I would be more partial to the dogbone as it could be adapted for a mountain scene and has more space in the center to build out a small yard. Plus the reverse-loop gives you more flexibility.

#7 ·
On the table you show, either one will fit...in N-scale. Neither will fit in HO, except, and unless, you go with 18” radii...I think. You’ll hate it tight ‘n contorted like that.

The pretzel is most suited to a flat surface, but you’d want careful use of scenic dividers to make it work well.

#9 ·
Thanks all, I just got back from Lowes and bought another 4 X 8' plywood sheet cut in 4 X 4' sections doubling my space.

Going to make an L with one piece and add the other to the opposite end giving me 8' in one direction 12' in the other.

Both plans are laid out in one foot grids with the Super Pretzel showing 8 X 4' in both directions. Somehow I will make it work for HO.

And yes, more space and radius is best.

Bob

#12 ·
Progress has been made, now that the base is completed the fun begins.

I added the two 4X4' sections making the layout 8X12' larger than the Super Pretzel or Dog Bone which presents somewhat of a problem. Neither offers a constant minimum 22" radius necessary to run larger Y2/6 Mallets without the fear of rerailing.

So, like my other layouts I think I'm just going to wing it. Thinking about a 22" radius outer track with inner tracks working off that using some of the ideas presented in the Super Pretzel and Dog Bone.

Thoughts?

Attachments

#13 ·
Have you thought about using flex track instead of sectional? A lot fewer joints means a lot fewer problems down the road. Don't forget to change out the snap-switches for some #6 or #8 turnouts so your locos are happy.

You should get ahold of some track planning software (several free choices available). You could try laying out the plans from the book using 22" or larger track and see how it works out. You could also try to rough out a staging yard to take up some of the extra space (inside the mainline).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.