My new project - Page 7 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #61
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
Update 7/10: I got the "Your order has been shipped" email from hobbylinc.com. My order from Fifer Hobby got to Spokane, so it should be in tomorrow's mail. I ordered the art boards from amazon.com.

Musings: I got to thinking about it, and I may not need the bridges and such. If I can disable the locking pins on the EZ-track, I can do it with 5" sections of EZ-track, which is a lot cleaner. I went looking for flower bushes for the trailer park. if I want them, they'll have to be HO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 10:11 AM   #62
traction fan
Station Master

West Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNfan View Post
I guess my drawing is a little crude - the track isn't a circle but like a racetrack; with two little 5" straightaways that straddle the yellow line and aren't permanently attached (I'm thinking little Atlas bridges). The idea is that as I've pictured it, it's sitting on a 34"x34" foldable card table. When I'm done watching the train go around in a circle, the "scenery piece" comes off, and then board comes apart at the yellow line. Each half goes on one of the shelves, the "scenery piece" goes in a shallow Rubbermaid or Sterilite tub with a lid and the two bridges with it. I've done some experiments and Bachmann EZ-track and Atlas code 80 generally work together and you can actually span a 5" gap in EZ-track with nothing more than a 5" piece of Atlas code 80 and the train will never notice. Enough of the end of the Atlas track sits on the end of the EZ-track to support it. But for appearance I want bridges and something the ends of the bridges can rest on and cover the ends of the EZ-track ("cribbing" made from HO ties?)

Yeah, I know I'm going to want a power connector on each half, and it does seem a lot of work for a little train chasing it's caboose. But considering how little my house is, a train chasing it's caboose beats no train. Just ask "Full Throttle".
Now I understand a bit better. You have only that space, no more; and you want continuous running. That limits you to an oval.
You refer to the second, front, shelf as "the scenery piece." If you plan to build scenery, here are some thoughts/questions. Is there any chance of cutting away part of the shelf below the bridges? This would give a reason for having bridges. Perhaps the creek I suggested, that would border the trailer park, could pass under the bridges? That would give the "trailer trash" folks someplace to fish. It would also let you put larger, actual abutments under the ends of the bridges, though cribbing for a very low bridge/culvert is a good idea.
If the scenery included some form of view block that separated the oval into two scenes, that would help disguise the "round-and-round" look. If your original, fixed, shelf is attached to the wall, or part of a piece of furniture, then the view block could be a hinged/removable backdrop along part of the line between the two shelves. Can you post a photo of your existing shelf? I'm not able to visualize it from your description.

Going further, if you want, you might use a turnout, or two, instead of straight track, on one, or both, sides of your oval. Yes. I know turnouts on bridges are quite rare, but there are some real-life examples. This is particularly true when the bridge is very low, or it's just a culvert cut into the roadbed. Or you could simply forget the bridge, in favor of a turnout.

Having two separate scenes, with a siding in each, would allow some basic operation, setting out, and picking up cars, along with running around the oval. If you choose do this, I recommend using Peco turnouts, for their reliability. Atlas code 80 "snap switches" and Bachmann EZ-track turnouts are not known for reliable operation, to put it mildly. The Bachmann EZ-track ones are also quite expensive. On your small layout, switch machines wont be needed. They would just add cost, and be in the way. Just flip the Peco turnout(s) by hand. Their built-in spring will keep the points in place. Or you could use Caboose Industries ground throws, if you prefer.
Power connectors shouldn't be a problem. Any two-terminal plug & jack set will work.

have fun;

Traction Fan
Old 07-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #63
GNfan
Engineer

Note:When I use the word "infield", I mean the auto racing sense of "the area inside the racetrack" and not the baseball sense.

Actually, my idea is that the "scenery piece" is a third 14"x18" sitting in the middle of the infield that can be lifted out and safely stored when not in use. My idea is to build up the remaining area in the infield with cardboard to the same level (1/8") out to the EZ-track, and then cover it with some appropriate scenery mat (I've seen some JTT Scenery "wild grass" ones that could work).

One of the reasons I abandoned the Plywood Prairie RR was how long in took to set up my collection of little buildings and such. The solution I came up with was a lavishly scenicked "scenery piece" on a single board - and that's what the "ShadyLane Trailer Park and Rental Cabins" will be. And if I can wangle more permanent "right-of-way" for a permanent layout, I can move it without taking it apart.

Last edited by GNfan; 07-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: poor punctuation
GNfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #64
GNfan
Engineer

It's this kind of thing,

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid-...-Shelf/3338622

with the existing one being about 6 feet off the floor and space for another at 6˝ feet. The 14"x29" section below the yellow line on my diagram goes on one shelf when not in use, the 14"x29" section above the yellow line goes on the other, and my 14"x18" "scenery piece" goes on the lid a upside-down plastic tub.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #65
GNfan
Engineer

Update 7/11: I should have gone out for a Slurpee.

My order from Fifer Hobby came today. The "Trading Post" definitely needs paint, but it's the kind of building I wanted. The "SP style" call boxes will work at the entrance, the BLMA trackside boxes are what you'd expect, the steps will work for the trailer that doesn't have them, and the Micro Tech Studios "Electrical Boxes" will go with the green Imex garages. This order gets

So what do I still need? I thought Ma should have rose bushes or something in front of her trailer, but all I found was HO. For totally frivolous reasons I want the Woodland Scenics "Black Bears" figures, and park benches or picnic tables in the grassy areas would be nice. I saw cast metal N scale V-8 engines at Fifer Hobby and I've got plenty of trees, and I could use thread for rope . . . nahhh. The USPS projects my hobbylinc.com order to arrive Saturday. We'll see.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #66
GNfan
Engineer

Update 7/12: My boards and my order from hobbylinc.com came. The trees are - trees, and the figures are (as always) tiny, and the Imex garage is my third one. The grass mat is interesting. The real surprise are the 47% off HO streetlights. They're actually meant to be working - not with LED'S, but tiny 14V, 30mA incandescent bulbs from the AC supply on a "power pack". Since all but one of my structures are cast resin and virtually impossible to light, I think I'll cut off the leads inside the base. But I don't think they're oversized; and if they're still available at the discounted price next time I order from hobbylinc.com, I'd order another set.
Old 07-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #67
GNfan
Engineer

Update 7/13/19 Slight change of plans: To "make a long story short", my wife decided she would rather I use the scenery mat Woodland Scenics calls "Desert Sand" for roads and parking lots rather than use the new paper cutter to cut sandpaper (so no "tarmac", which is probably more accurate anyway). She also agreed that the brownish-green "Summer Grass" mat I had bought wasn't green enough. (I can use it when I fill in the areas between my "scenery piece" and the EZ-track.) Woodland Scenics was still on sale at hobbylinc.com, so this morning I ordered two 12"x14" sheets of "Green Grass" and two 12"x14" sheets of "Desert Sand". I also ordered a set of 1950's 7-Up vending machines (the upright one goes next to an ice machine on the porch of the Trading Post), a set of pallets (to go with the forklift), another set of those HO Model Power street lights, a set of HO JTT Scenery "potted plants" to put out in front of Ma's trailer, and (since Woodland Scenics was still on sale) that set of bear figures. I'm thinking of staging a "tourist kitsch" scene of the standing bear defending her cubs against the Model Tech Studios Yeti figure out behind the Trading Post. They're meant to be statues guests can take pictures with. Elsewhere, an actual sasquatch (the Model Tech Studios bigfoot) and one of the other bears are casually walking along like a scene from "Grizzly Adams".
Old 07-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #68
Country Joe
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O Gauge
I agree with your wife. I don't care for the Summer Grass mat. On my layout I used the Green Grass mat.

President Emeritus of the Olde Newburgh Model Railroad Club

TCA # 15-71249

Country Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #69
GNfan
Engineer

West Musings, and more

I was looking at that Faller "Casks and Tubs" kit I bought (not realizing it was a kit), and it occurred to me how simple it would be to use the casks as planter boxes -just leave off one of the sides and add a pinch of ballast material. In a similar vein, the stoops in the Micro Engineering "Steps and Stoops" are just little "battleship grey" plastic boxes I could pass off as concrete blocks. If they're too tall for Junior's trailer, they could be used for "Rusty's Regret". Maybe I do want that pack of V-8 engines. "If your kids use an engine hanging from a tree as a swing . . ." - Jeff Foxworthy

While I was moving my buildings around, I came to the realization that (for me) that the simplest thing to do was to make a 2" wide "green belt" of grass and trees around the edge of my board, filling the center with a big parking lot, and putting the cabins and trailers around the edge for the shade. I made the attached diagram in Excel and Paint originally to figure out how many trees I needed. The "caption" notes there are 12 trees and I've got 13. One is a big Oak tree - maybe I can make a little grassy area near the Trading Post, put the oak tree in it, and stage "Mama Bear & Cubs vs. Yeti" beneath it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board2.jpg (202.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 PM   #70
GNfan
Engineer

Update 7/18: I got the "Your order has been shipped" e-mail for my latest hobbylinc.com order; but all that means is that the shipping label was created. I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS doesn't actually have it until Monday. I got out to my local Home Depot today. I bought some wooden yardsticks and a small plank to frame the art boards into a 28"x29"; and some hand tools like a square and a small hand saw.

Oops: When I wrote: "I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS doesn't actually have it until Monday." I must have thought yesterday was Friday. I'm starting to have what my mom calls "senior moments".

Last edited by GNfan; Yesterday at 06:46 AM.. Reason: added correction
GNfan is offline   Reply With Quote