Model Train Forum banner

Basic Electricity and Electronics

58K views 100 replies 35 participants last post by  gunrunnerjohn 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#8 ·
is this article about special type of electricity applicable only to O scale? hmm, then why is it stuck in O forum? IMHO, get in touch with the author, get his permission and re-post article in its entirety (with reference to original) in the appropriate section. that would be a good sticky

That is what I meant to say when I posted that, quoted above.

It would benefit others too, but it is in the O gauge section and others might not see it.

What would be the right forum spot for it as a sticky?

#4 · (Edited)
I have found the more electrical knowledge you have the more fun it can be. Consider this tread an intro if you have no background and an interests to learn. This is how I started. afew years back I was just curious about LEDs then I wanted more. Now electronics is a second hobby to me to others it probably was a living. :) If anything my purpose is to give information out to save time and generate interests.

One thing I have learned recently is I can answer a question here and there but I have found some question undaunting, too little information given asking for a book worths. As a result a general question will give you a general answer. A specific questions gets the direct answer. A lot of information is here you just need the time to take it in. Our membership is getting larger and our depth is always increasing with it the greater assistance we can provide.

When I started I was frustated at the lack of onformation available now I have volumes, so much I can't remember it all and I have to revert to sources or my printed pages of interests.

Anyways have fun!

After having done a few projects. People are not theory orientated. Members have been honest about their education on the subject. I can credit them with paying attention.What I have had to do, is read up on theory from other sources and then directly apply it to the hobby. So Ohm's law is discussed under the LED, to get it to work by varing the resistance. Quite a feat for me being self taught in electronics. I like any site with Basics. I had to find one with symbols to interpret diagrams. My favorite is the England Kelly Park School Electronics Club. I am a big fan.
Technical questions are scarce, I started with an LED then I made it blink. Now I can copy a diagram so I do have more talent now than before.

Let's see where this goes or let me know what you want to do?

#7 ·
is this article about special type of electricity applicable only to O scale? hmm, then why is it stuck in O forum? IMHO, get in touch with the author, get his permission and re-post article in its entirety (with reference to original) in the appropriate section. that would be a good sticky

#13 · (Edited)
Being a MOD is a learning curve. All I wanted to do was edit.

I am confused about the article. What article???
Should this go to Beginners forum or maybe Technical.

Last time I got stopped by a popup so I am sure someone else can do it.

#23 ·
oic - then thats cool. i thought the power was only connected at station concole type area. I have no idea how much track yet. thinking of starting with kit (about 4x6 scene) and using that as a base unit to run track all over house. just rough guess here but maybe few hundred feet track ultimately. This is starting now but also keeping in mind a house I am designing that will incorperate my train in its design

#33 ·
OK, I actually went through an "A" school and then a "C" school in the Navy in the 60's, don't know what they call them now. I was a Fire Control Technician, though for most of my tour I ran Special Services on an aircraft carrier. :) Oh, and all of that was also in San Diego.
How cool! Boot camp for me was North Chicago, then BEEP and IC/A school in San Diego (78/79), then back to N. Chicago for CCTV school and then out into "the Fleet"!

10 years later I got out and went to work as a civilian TV/Radio Engineer and have been doing that ever since.....hence the reason I get along well with DCC!

:D --We need a "Go Navy" smiley!

Jim

#30 ·
OK, I actually went through an "A" school and then a "C" school in the Navy in the 60's, don't know what they call them now. I was a Fire Control Technician, though for most of my tour I ran Special Services on an aircraft carrier. :) Oh, and all of that was also in San Diego.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.