Model Train Forum banner

Coupola Cam

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Millstonemike 
#1 ·
This the message I sent Lionel Service:

I have been trying to reach you since you New Years. I have called every day since then. I get the recorded “next available” message but no one ever answers.

I received a 6-85078 PRR CoupolaCam Caboose for Xmas.

I have downloaded the app to my iPad and successfully established the wifi link to the caboose. With the link established, I click on the app and get the following error message:

Push Message
no valid “aps-environment” entitlement string found for application

I have no idea what an “aps-enviornment” entitlement string is!?!

When I click “OK” on the message I get a screen showing that then camera is wifi connected. When I click on the camera, I get a message asking if I want to change the password, I click “skip” and it takes me to screen that I think should be camera imagery. In the center of that screen is a whirling download icon. It never down loads anything, and the figures in lower left corner never change.

I have tried several times using the “reset” button on the bottom of the caboose, but nothing changes.

The set up is a simple 54” circle of Fastrack. Power is the A circuit of a Lionel VW transformer set at 18 volts. Until I get the camera working, I am not attempting operation with a moving train.

PLEASE call or email me.

See less See more
#4 ·
For short duration stops, you can try reducing the VW's throttle to the minimum before it goes to 0 volts. That 5 or 6 V AC to the track may keep the camera going. Of course, an engine on the track likely wouldn't move but will start to get hot after a short time as all the energy from the low track voltage in its motor windings will be dissipated as heat.

#9 · (Edited)
CupolaCam Battery Back Up

Based on GRJ's comment I did a little research. A Li-Ion battery solution is quite feasible. In fact, building your own "CupCam" from scratch is quite easy using off the shelf components, perhaps for <$30.

Several details can be gleamed from the Lionel parts diagram (below). The configuration is fairly straight forward. There's the self contained camera /WIFI unit, an on/off switch, a regulator module and an LED board.

The "OEM" camera runs on 3.7 V. Perfect for a single cell Li-Ion battery - the popular 68650 battery size. One could replace the existing Lionel voltage regulator with an adjustable AC/DC regulator, a 68650 Li-Ion battery and a 1S Li-Ion charge unit. EDIT: Given the Camera comes with a battery a separate 68650 cell is not needed.

The camera would hook up to the switch as currently designed and the Li-ion battery. A single-cell 68650 battery holder would finish the installation. Indications from the Camera offering indicate a 68650 battery with a 2700 maH rating would run the camera for 4 hours w/o track power.

It's possible the existing Lionel regulator module can be reused in place of the additional regulator module. It depends on the Lionel module's output voltage (e.g., ~5+ V).

Safe Harbor statement: Improperly designed Li-Ion systems are dangerous (remember the Hover Board fires?). You need to insure your battery and battery management module are compatible with respect to over/under voltages & currents.

Diagram Line Technology Circuit component Electronic component

Diagram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.