Lionel Lion Chief Plus Smoke Unit Issues - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
Martin
Gang Labourer

Lionel Lion Chief Plus Smoke Unit Issues

I purchased a Lion Chief Plus Atlantic Coastline last summer. Had it for one month and no smoke on Power Unit. Train shop tech fixed it saying broken wire.

However, he said there was too much liquid smoke in the chamber.
Said only do 2 drops in each end unit. Doing this I found it was not smoking or very little and I had to blow in to the holes to get it started but it only smoked a short while. (this is occurring with power and dummy units) At York I spoke to Lionel and they said smoke lasts like maybe 20 minutes of run time.

Owners Manual says 4 drops in each hole but when I called Lionel they said 2 drops in 2 holes but perhaps try the center ones.

I notice I get the best smoke when I run it like 20 minutes and its standing still after blowing hard in to the holes but once I start running again the smoke stops billowing.

Pardon my language but what the hell is going on? I am looking for advice and common experiences.

Lionel said they would look at it as its under warranty but if there is nothing wrong they might charge me when I send it back to them.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
DennyM
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Well, I can tell you that a club member who has a LC+ GP7 has issues with his smoke unit. It smokes, but the fan doesn't work. He has another LC+ GP7 and the fan works, but it has other issues.

It's possible you have too much fluid in the unit. Run the engine a short while with the smoke unit on and see if it starts to work. I had LC+ GP7 and it didn't always smoke good. Then there were times when it smoked real good. I had to run it a few minutes before it would smoke good. I'm just going by how I dealt with mine.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
L0stS0ul
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O
My lionchief plus steamer said a tiny amount as well in the manual. It has to be a mistake. I took it apart and 4 drops is a joke for a fan unit. After a couple of hours the smoke batting was completely charged and unusable. The stock batting is also a joke. I replaced my batting with the Lionel rope wick and I now use 20 drops in the smoke unit per run. If I do more than that I don't get leaks but it takes longer for it to start smoking. Like minutes.

I believe they use the same smoke unit in all the plus engines from what I have seen.
L0stS0ul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
L0stS0ul
Dispatcher

Found my thread about it

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=97450
L0stS0ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Bill Webb
Dispatcher

Seems like smoke units that are a constant problem would get a redesign or copy MTH in the interest of customer satisfaction. I can't think of a bigger and more constant solvable problem with Lionel's engines than thus one.

I just looked at their 0-8-0 switcher. Electric coupler on the tender only. Come on, it is a switcher. MTH has on both ends. This will be our third MTH purchase; used to ignore but no more.
Bill Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
My Legacy B6 has couplers on both ends, I wonder why they left it off the 0-8-0?
Old 03-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Bill Webb
Dispatcher

I reread the thread again and John's comment. We have two MTH passenger trains and have stayed away because of their control system requirements. But we are going to bite the bullet and start buying MTH when they have something that we need. Lionel is no longer doing the job satisfactorily. And we have over 70 Lionel engines. Kinda senseless QC.
Bill Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
DennyM
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Bill,
My Lionel TMCC 0-8-0 switcher has front and rear Electro couplers.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Lee Willis
Train Master

Scales Modeled: O-Gauge
Mine (17) all work fairly well and smoke okay. These are not smoke units like in premium locos like Legacy and MTH Premier, but mine smoke okay. Not sure what your locos problem is though. Good luck with it.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #10
seayakbill
Yard Master

Lionel certainly struggles with their smoke units.
seayakbill is offline   Reply With Quote