need help adding led marker lights to factory PS3 engine - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
machinist
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: 3 rail o scale
need help adding led marker lights to factory PS3 engine

Good Evening Everyone,

I have an MTH GP38-2 from 2013 that is factory PS3 equipped. This particular engine did not come with ditch lights, strobe light or front & rear marker lights. I am swapping another shell(that was a dummy) with a different roadname that requires front & rear marker lights onto this chassis.

The photos show the chassis with the PS3 electronics I am using. All plugs are already being used and accounted for except for the 4 red plugs and 1 white plug(all are 2 pin female plugs) as shown in the photos. The white plug uses purple/green wires. 2 of the red plugs use purple/brown wires. The other 2 red plugs use 2 purple wires to one pin and a black wire to the other pin. I have no idea what these different empty plugs are used for and can't find any wiring diagram for reference. Does anyone know which plugs to use when adding the front & rear led markers? Or a couple of photos of a Premier GP38-2/GP7 or 9 chassis with factory PS3 and the front & rear markers? In addition, does anyone have the correct part numbers for the factory GP38 wiring harnesses with the leds for the front and rear markers?

Thanks for the help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01017 (2).jpg (2.36 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01019 (2).jpg (1.43 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01020 (2).jpg (1.21 MB, 4 views)

USAF Security Service 1967-1971, US Army Corps Of Engineers Pittsburgh District 1993-2012, Pittsburgh Independent Hi Railers

Last edited by machinist; 11-12-2019 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: wire colors
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Norton
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, 3R 1/48
Nick, here is the link to the PS3 Diesel upgrade kit. It has a wiring diagram for those connectors assuming what you have is like this kit. It appears to be the same.

https://mthtrains.com/sites/default/...50as18328i.pdf

Pete
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
I found this, Does it match at all?

ps2diesel.jpg

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkM...BLo3pJN1FGE1Gg
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
machinist
Brakeman

[QUOTE=T-Man;2470918]I found this, Does it match at all?

T-Man,

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately my PS3 setup looks completely different as far as the arrangement of the location & number of pins and plugs. I have one plug with 40 pins and another plug with 8 pins. Thanks for your effort.

USAF Security Service 1967-1971, US Army Corps Of Engineers Pittsburgh District 1993-2012, Pittsburgh Independent Hi Railers
Old 11-12-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
machinist
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Nick, here is the link to the PS3 Diesel upgrade kit. It has a wiring diagram for those connectors assuming what you have is like this kit. It appears to be the same.

https://mthtrains.com/sites/default/...50as18328i.pdf

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response. That PS3 upgrade board wiring diagram looks close but there are some differences from mine and a couple things I don't understand. On the upgrade wiring diagram, pin 31 shows it to be for the led markers and a harness with with a yellow plug-times 2. There are 2 marker harnesses, so where does the 2nd harness plug into? What am I missing? My chassis also has the plates for the spring loaded power feed/plastic connector blocks that are used for the headlight, taillight and rear number boards, so the wires for those items coming from the 40 pin plug are soldered to the plates. The leads from those lights are plugged into the large plastic block with the springs.

Right now, I'm thinking my white plug would be for the strobe light. 2 of the red plugs would be for ditch lights/or markers and the other 2 red plugs for mars lights/or markers. This is just a WAG on my part. It would be nice to see a factory PS3 diagram or the above mentioned photo in my original post. When it comes to wiring & electronics, I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack!

Old 11-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
Norton
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, 3R 1/48
Unfortunately I have not been to MTH school and I think a lot of the factory stuff is only available to their techs. I suspect the polarity out of those connectors is the same though so if you have an LED from an MTH engine that has a connector that mates with those you might just try them one by one to see the effect. ie hit ditch lights and see if anything happens assuming your sound file supports ditch lights.

PS3_D.jpeg

Pete
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Here's the wiring for the PS/3 diesel board, this comes from the PS/3 Diesel upgrade kit documentation. Note that the chain and sound files may not enable all the features, so you have to actually test them to see if they're enabled in your configuration.

PS 3.0 Upgrade Kit Wiring Diagram.png
Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
machinist
Brakeman

Pete & GRJ,

Thanks for the help with the diagrams. I thought this would be a plug and play, but not so fast Ke-Mo-Sabe! With your diagrams and some digging on the MTH site that has exploded views on much earlier GP38-2's along with tracing some of the wires on my chassis, I think I've got it figured out.

Even though this is a Premier factory PS3 engine, there are carryovers from earlier Premier PS2 engines concerning where the power is picked up for the exterior lighting(f&r headlights, number boards, and apparently marker lights). On my chassis, the wiring for the f&r headlights, rear number boards, and f&r markers, is soldered to their corresponding pinouts of the 40 plug connection on the PCB. The wiring for these components is then hard wired/soldered to the flat plates at each end of the chassis as shown in my photos. The black plastic blocks with the copper springs slide onto the body mounting posts. The short wiring harnesses for the headlights/number boards/markers then plug into the plastic blocks. When the engine shell is mounted on the chassis, the springs make contact with the plates on the chassis and the power connection is made. In my case, I need 2 more plastic blocks with the copper springs(one for each end of the chassis) along with the marker light wiring harnesses w/plugs. I envy you guys that are good with wiring/electronics-I hate electricity-LOL. This will be put off for a couple days as I am having surgery tomorrow. Thanks again for the help guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01021 (2).jpg (1.17 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01022 (2).jpg (1.13 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01023 (2).jpg (1.34 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01024 (2).jpg (1.36 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01025 (2).jpg (1.47 MB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01026 (2).jpg (1.29 MB, 1 views)

Old 11-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #9
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Nick, if you're wanting the spring contact blocks, I have them. As for the markers, are you looking for red or green? I know I have several sets of the red markers.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #10
DennyM
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
This is why I love this hobby. So much more than putting a train on the track and running it.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote