Tug of War this time of year - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Chugman
Engineer

Tug of War this time of year

Every year at about this time I have a Tug of War going on with myself about outdoor Christmas decorations.

One side of me loves to look at them and the other side hates to put them up. My same neighbor that has the "beautiful lawn" that makes the rest of us work at ours harder than we want to, also has the "to die for Christmas decorations." What's with this guy?

I look at the weather forecast to decide the best day to do it. I want it to be nice, but secretly hope it wouldn't so I don't have to do it today. LOL

How much do I put up? Just the minimum or go for broke? Maybe just the manager scene in the yard? Or just a few lights in the shrubs? Certainly not the wreath over the garage doors or lights on the eaves. As I watch the neighbor installing his magnificent lights all synced to his specially chosen music.

Maybe I should go down and work on my layout until I can make a good decision? Maybe a little egg nog will help?

Merry Christmas

Art
Chugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
Big Jim
Conductor

Scales Modeled: O Scale
Art,
Decorating your house for Christmas is just like building your train layout. It is yours, find a way that satisfies you and your family. Don't let the house down the street dictate your creativity! Enjoy what others have done, but, more importantly be at peace with your own creation!
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #3
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
My fortune is that my house doesn't have any outside outlets! So I have no reason to put up outside decorations. But the wife busies me with indoor stuff.

Old 11-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Dieseler
Conductor

What Big Jim posted is spot on. I recall when our kids were small putting up so many outdoor lights and one year falling off ladder hanging them around garage gutter now that really hurt.
Now a days the tree goes up and decorated in front of the large front room window and thats about it.
Folks came and went over the years in our area we been here 30 years when sub division was first built and along with some other longtime neighbors they have also downsized the decorations as we have aged.

Some newer young neighbors with small children decorate like some of us use to when we were younger and believe me those homes look very nice and it puts a smile on the Mrs an i face when we look out the window at night this time of year.

Our tree is going up today and will be decorated and lit tomorrow 1st of Dec as that is our tradition while others do so a little earlier .
Dieseler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
seayakbill
Yard Master

Not as much as I use to do. Wife still goes all out inside our home but the outside this year gets 480 of the small lights ( that came from Menards ), 4 strings at 120 per string. I might dig out the lighted Reindeer but that may be a longshot.

Bill
seayakbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Krieglok
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N, OO
When I was a kid, my parents didn’t put lights up on the house. We kids did it because it was fun.

I put them up now, on my house, but the display has become smaller and smaller every year. My kids never took up the task. Like Dieseler noted, you do it more when you have younger kids.

Now we go for very simplified set ups. Bush “light nets” and maybe a string down the driveway. No more spiderwebs of extension cords...

Tom
Old 11-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #7
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
I have never decorated outside.
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Lehigh74
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O
I put the same lights up every year so I’ve got it down pat. Ten 25 C9 light strings on a large yew bush and four C9/C7 strings around windows and a door on the first floor. The 250 incandescent C9 bulbs on the yew bush were too much for a timer…burned it out. So, I switched most of them to screw in LEDs. The lights go up around Thanksgiving before it gets too cold, stop being lit after Epiphany and come down around Easter after it warms up a bit.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:59 PM   #9
DennyM
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
I like to, but the squirrels keep chewing through the wires.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #10
Krieglok
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N, OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyM View Post
I like to, but the squirrels keep chewing through the wires.
Make sure they aren’t in your attic!

Tom