Great Britains Brexit of the European Union - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > Union Station
Forgotten your password?

Union Station Off topic discussions - take a load off after a busy day of model railroading.

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Atlanta
Brakeman

Great Britains Brexit of the European Union

Hey Ya'll,

Boris Johnson won the election as new british prime minister, so je will do the Brexit to end of January of 2020.

What will that have for consequences?

For importing model train stuff to the European Union it will be sometimes cheaper than actually.

The british general sales tax (V.A.T.) is 21 % in some other EU member states below of that, so we can save some money after doing the custom declaration.
A well plus.
The actually regulation is negative, because when buying something anywhere with higher general sales tax, than we need accept this and do not get back the difference of our national lower taxes.
It is a bad minus.

For travelling it could happen to use visa and passport to enter Great Britains borders.

For all people who will lose their jobs I am in deep sympathy with them and hope they will find new jobs as soon as possible.

Inside UK it can happen that Scotland will leave the UK to go back into European Union.

The Brits are a little curiously sometimes and hard to understand...?

What do you think?

Ya Ingo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
I don't understand all the effects of Brexit. But the majority of British voters did vote to leave the EU, and it's good to see that their government will try to do that. Governments should do what the voters choose.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 AM   #3
seayakbill
Yard Master

Don't know anything about the pros or cons but I do not believe it is to the advantage of a powerful country to be controlled by a group of lesser countries.

Take NATO as an example, the USA for decades has been carrying the load. Canada, France, and Germany are nothing more than Gold Diggers, depending on the USA to cover their expenses. The USA should exit NATO ASAP and let those freeloaders carry the load.

Bill

Old 12-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Severn
Engineer

The United States is nato. We helped create it at the end of ww2 to confront an aggressive Russia then called the Soviet Union so as to avoid a third european war. Nothing has changed there that I can see. Russia is still aggressive and would like nothing more than the dissolution of nato so they can get back in the domination game in there. As for so called lesser nation's. Germany and France are not lesser nation's to the UK. I have friends there who pretty much think brexit will further encourage Scottish independence interests and result in the break up of the UK. Whether brexit will be a good result in the end for them time will tell but it's no means assured.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
seayakbill
Yard Master

Since there is no longer a Soviet Union, the Russian Army is no match for a combined Europe if they have the backbone to stand up to Russia which they have not displayed. The USA no longer needs to be a contributing member of NATO, if Europe can't protect their borders then they have not learned anything since the fall of Nazi Germany and then the demise of the Soviet Union.

Bill
Old 12-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
Severn
Engineer

We are the backbone by design since we did not at the end of ww2 want a revival of European military prowess to that level and I don't think we want it today. Why give up the high ground.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Fire21
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N-Scale.
All I ask is that each member country of NATO pay their fair share. The USA has carried them for far too long. NATO is mainly for the defense of Europe against aggression. If they won't stand up (and pay) for themselves, why should we?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #8
Severn
Engineer

And what makes you think they aren't? The pay structure is negotiated anyway. As far as I know they meet their obligations. As for me, he who pays the most runs the show and that's worth something.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
Millstonemike
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severn View Post
..., he who pays the most runs the show and that's worth something.
Akin to my brother's favorite phrase; "He who writes the checks runs the ship."
Old 12-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
seayakbill
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severn View Post
And what makes you think they aren't? The pay structure is negotiated anyway. As far as I know they meet their obligations. As for me, he who pays the most runs the show and that's worth something.
Each country is required to pay an equal % of their GNP, I think it is 2%, may be wrong on that %. Something that Canada, France and Germany along with some smaller countries have not done. I believe France is close to the amount this year after Trump rip them 2 years ago. Germany has a ways to go and have stated they may get there in 10 to 15 years.

Bill
Closed Thread