Did my locomotive blow a decoder card? FIXED. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-01-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Did my locomotive blow a decoder card? FIXED.

After getting the ZDF Express set up last night with the replacement ESU Loksound 4.0, I ran four trains at once for about an hour last night. No hitches or problems of any kind. The Loksound 4.0 is really nice and sounds great and the new Br.120 runs very smoothly.

Tonight I was going to make a short video of the Br.120 while the sound was going.

I plugged in the NCE Powercab power supply and the DB Br.187 started stuttering forward for about 20mm and you could hear it making a repetitive noise for a few seconds. That stopped.

Afterward, every locomotive on rails had lost its programming except ÖBB 2143. I don't know why this locomotive was unaffected by this. It ran normally and had all sounds, lights, etc, that it had when I last programmed the CV's for it.

The rest wouldn't respond to any commands.

I started reprogramming each locomotive and reset all of them using 008-008 CV. All of the locomotives reprogrammed fine except for Br.187. The NCE recognized the card and knew it was there. It made small noises while being programmed as they always do, but this locomotive will not respond to any commands after repeated programming attempts.

If the decoder is blown, would it still be recognized by the controller?

I did not remove the decoder, nor even take of the body shell to inspect. I don't have time tonight. I seriously thought about swapping the Loksound 4.0 from the Br.120 into the Br.187, but if there is something wrong with Br.187 I don't want to chance damaging the Loksound 4.0 from Br.120. I've already had that decoder replaced once.

Last edited by MichaelE; 03-02-2019 at 08:40 PM..
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
MatroxD
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Something sounds up with it. I think for this reason, I'm going to begin having a couple "spare" test decoders on hand. Some of these things honestly, it seems like you could sneeze and blow them out.. Jeeze... Every device that has blown on me, has done exactly what you are describing... Hasn't been that many, but still...

I feel your pain, my little Plymouth switcher went out last night (shorted out I'm thinking).. It was just sitting there and started making a sizzling noise after I switched from programming to the main....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Tonight I was able to work on the Br.187.

I reset the decoder card and tried reprogramming it multiple times. Nothing helped there. What I did notice that I did not notice the night before is that when I selected the locomotive '096' always appeared on the locomotive selected line of the display. I didn't pay any attention to it.

I took off the body, removed the decoder card and reseated it. After placing on the tracks I tried another reset and this time it did reset to the factory 003 assignment. I thought I might have found the problem and proceeded to reprogram it again.

Afterwards the locomotive responded. All functions returned and it is once again hauling passengers carriages.

While researching this problem I found many stories of the difficulty programming this particular sound decoder that TRIX uses in their locomotives. They weren't kidding.

So far the only glitch I"ve had is that I can no longer change the overall volume using CV 63. It did not respond to any settings, even turning the volume off altogether.

I'll have to dig a bit deeper for this. I still do not know what caused this, but IIRC, this locomotive was the last one I shutdown after the last session. Tonight I will change locomotives in the controller before pulling the plug.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
MichaelE
Dispatcher

I was able to access CV 63 when programming on the fly in Main Track mode. Volume is fine now.