Nce PowerCab to SB5 booster question... - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-06-2019, 03:50 AM   #11
MatroxD
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
A wall wart doesn't provide the logic used to run the signals.
That, and it's much less cluttered.. That's just me. It's much easier, albeit, it requires a bit more thought up front. That's especially after you begin using multiple of those switch machines. I couldn't imagine going back to the wall warts. That is one decision I don't regret one bit.

And think at last count, I have 52 led diodes(not counting the leds in any of the locomotives, and every single one of the locos has led) in the layout(houses, street lamps, crossing signals, etc, all controlled and powered via accessory decoders (Light It's: very handy little devices). It would have( looking back on the decision to go the accessory decoder versus wall wart{s}) been, and was a pain in the rear to do wall warts even in the small scale I am dealing with. , Just like anything else, the dcc signal and power is easier to deal with, and customize, as it doesn't decay over relatively short distances. It has also proved to be very, very reliable and flexible for effects, if I feel like it.. Not to mention control over powering up, shutting down, and controlling the exact brightness, of every single item, as each has an address, and the address logic(database sheet via MS Excel, and when the time comes, I think it will be easier to go directly into the JMRI/Panel Pro scenerio)..

I don't mess with them often, but you have the flexibility to do so as you wish.. Flexibility, control, and scalability you don't have with a wall wart. I would say for someone who is just beginning with accessories, yes, a wart is a good thing to begin with. But for a full layout, where you want different aspects and controls, there really is no comparison.. And yes, it takes time, but so does the wart approach, without any of the benefits... Not to mention it's cheaper in the long run!

Not to mention, as I think about it, I don't have a single analog bulb in the layout. I even changed the bumpers to led a while back.. Hmmnnn... Well, anyhow, that's my argument and experience against wall warts for your accessories.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement