New to DCC looking for help. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #1
porky
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Question New to DCC looking for help.

Many years ago I purchased 2 Bachmann 80T Shays. One had a decoder installed at Caboose Hobbies. Digitrax I recall. I don't remember them soldering anything. My question is this; If it is Plug N Play can I swap it out for a sound decoder and just add a speaker and be off and running? I have never run the train as life intruded, but now being retired and ready to get going. If I have to solder stuff that small I will have someone else do it. I will not frustrate myself with that. I need help from someone with experience with these locos. Thanks for reading this.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
CTValleyRR
Train Master

In theory, yes, plug and play is just that. However, a sound decoder needs more wires, and some plug-ins are less user friendly than others. Open it up and have a look before you purchase anything. Make sure that the sound decoder you want to install has the same number of pins as the socket on the loco.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
telltale
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N / HO
Opted out of thread. Admin please delete this..

Last edited by telltale; 03-24-2019 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: opted out
telltale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
porky
Hobo

Smile

Thanks for the reply. I will be looking into it soon. My wife loves the trains and that makes it an easy sell. I am hoping the speaker install goes easy, I'll just take my time. Not sure on getting the coal load cut or putting it in the cab. The latter will look crappy I think. Thanks for the help.
porky is offline   Reply With Quote