Occupancy detection, etc. hardware recommendations - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 05-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
DonR
Train Master

Jerry

How do the load resistors you install on your
cars for occupancy detection affect the operation
of a DCC reverse loop controller? As you know,
we advise that any isolated track section be longer
than longest train of lighted cars to avoid the last
car truck spanning the 'entry' insulated joiner at same time loco
truck spans the 'exit' joiners. This would result in short circuit.
Would your 'loaded' cars cause the same result?

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
fcwilt
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Hi,

My recommended brand is RR-CirKits Simple Serial Bus products.

Pretty much state of art, versatile, easy to install and configure, compact, cost effective and the support is top notch.

They have a device for just about ever aspect of layout automation, etc.

I started with Digitrax gear until someone put my on to RR-CirKits.

Removed and sold all my Digitrax in favor of RR-CirKits.

One thing I really prefer about their approach to occupancy detection is that they use a small coil that you feed one of the block power wires through.

The coil connects to the WatchMan board via small gauge twisted pair. I use pairs from CATx cable.

The advantage of this approach is the power wiring is totally separate from the occupancy sensing so you can optimize each type of wiring.

Frederick
fcwilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
JerryH
Engineer

Don, I don't know. The auto reversers usually have an adjustment to set the trip point. The total load of the train determines where that should be set. If set too high, the booster breaker will trip first and if too low for the total train load, the reverser will trip more than once.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
Mark VerMurlen
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpresley View Post
Does the BXP88 do eight times what the BXPA1 does, less reversing? Is the PM42 required if I use the BXP88 or BXPA1?

Confusing documentation (I am easily confused).

If the BXPA1 does everything needed, I can see the simplicity but otherwise why would I pay $50 for one block vs. $150 for 8 blocks?

Thank you for the help.
Yes, the BXP88 supports 8 times as many blocks as the BXPA1, less the auto reversing. So the only reason to buy the BXPA1 is if you must have auto reversing. It doesn't make economic sense otherwise.

You do not need the PM42 if you use the BXP88 (or even the BXPA1). The new boards incorporate circuit breaker protection themselves without the need of the PM42.

If you do go with Digitrax hardware, for your case, I do think the newer BXP88 is the better option than the older PM42 & BDL168, especially if you don't need auto reversing.

The only time I think the PM42 & BDL168 would be better is if you need multiple blocks within a reverse loop. I think the BDL168 handles that better than the newer boards do, but that may just be my lack of experience with the new boards.

Mark
Mark VerMurlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #15
gregc
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
One thing I really prefer about their approach to occupancy detection is that they use a small coil that you feed one of the block power wires through.
i believe the NCE BD20 is similar and is based on Rob Paisley's Block Occupancy Detector. The transformer is < $2.

But since i'm a DIYer, i've built simpler circuits that are integrated with processor I/O circuits using fewer components.
gregc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #16
jackpresley
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: 027, H0, N in that order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen View Post
Yes, the BXP88 supports 8 times as many blocks as the BXPA1, less the auto reversing. So the only reason to buy the BXPA1 is if you must have auto reversing. It doesn't make economic sense otherwise.

You do not need the PM42 if you use the BXP88 (or even the BXPA1). The new boards incorporate circuit breaker protection themselves without the need of the PM42.

If you do go with Digitrax hardware, for your case, I do think the newer BXP88 is the better option than the older PM42 & BDL168, especially if you don't need auto reversing.

The only time I think the PM42 & BDL168 would be better is if you need multiple blocks within a reverse loop. I think the BDL168 handles that better than the newer boards do, but that may just be my lack of experience with the new boards.

Mark
Okay, thank you for confirming that the BXP88 will do everything I need in one box. That's the way I read it. I think I was confusing the BXP88 with the BDL168 specs.

I think I'll stick with Digitrax for now. I think the BXP88 will do everything I need in one box. So I'll have it and one DS64 quad turnout controller for this layout. Should allow me to cut my teeth.

I need to get it working soon, I came dangerously close to running two brand new expensive locos nearly head on at a 15* crossing.
jackpresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #17
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

The BPX88 replaces the circuit breaker function of the PM42 and does detection and transponding without any additional parts, like current coils or diodes. The BPXa1 is for a reversing loop and again its also the circuit breaker like a PM42. You can't connect the BXP88 up to a reversing loop or even a device that handles reversing loops (PM42, ar1......). So it you were to divide your layout in 8 isolated sections and one reverse loop, you could do that with 1 BPX88 and 1 BPXa1. You would then be able to detect when the locomotive was on any of your 8 isolated sections or the 1 reverse loop. The BXP.. outputs can also send info to signal controllers or JMRI.
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #18
ronatu
Hobo

Have 2 BXPA1 and DS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post
Bxp88 and its reverse loop mate the bxpa1, both detection and transponding. Simple to connect and you get circuit breaker protection. No coils, needed! These are fairly new and replace an assortment of cards.
Can you help me with this device?
I am new in DCC-Digitrax and would like to have 2 autorev loops on my layout.
Have 2 BXPA1 and DS64 for turnouts control.
What I do not have is schematic for connections...
PS - see pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190301_layout3.jpg (1.90 MB, 5 views)
ronatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #19
ronatu
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpresley View Post
Does the BXP88 do eight times what the BXPA1 does, less reversing? Is the PM42 required if I use the BXP88 or BXPA1?

Confusing documentation (I am easily confused).

If the BXPA1 does everything needed, I can see the simplicity but otherwise why would I pay $50 for one block vs. $150 for 8 blocks?

Thank you for the help.
Did you find a solution?
ronatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:42 PM   #20
DonR
Train Master

Ronatu

I'm a bit confused by your layout drawing.

Have your drawn it out using RED for 'outside' rail,
BLACK for 'inside' rail?

I see the two reverse loops that you have identified,
but the connection 'in red' between T2, T3 and T4 could
also create a 'loop' situation.

Don
DonR is offline   Reply With Quote