Nce PowerCab to SB5 booster question... - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
MatroxD
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO and N
Nce PowerCab to SB5 booster question...

I purchased a SB5, and an UTP panel. The question I have, is the flat cable that came with the powercab, can I use that between the booster and the UTP panel(until I can buy or if I can get a clear understanding, make my own cables)? I know I have to use my 4 wire coiled cable between the UTP and the "powercab" controller (which becomes a procab in this case). I am wondering, because the flat is a 6 wire cable versus a 4 wire cable like the coil. This is what I am confused about if someone could instruct? I am thinking I can, but just want to be sure.

I plan on making my own cables in the future, but this is my first time with a booster..

Thanks for any and all input....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #2
gregc
Engineer

i believe you can. the outer 2 wires on the cable provide a connection between the PowerCab and the track on the PTP.

While they are daisey chained on the UTP, i don't believe they are used by either the SB5 or the ProCab.
gregc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:19 AM   #3
MatroxD
Conductor

Thanks. I watched a ton of video and viewed schematics, and all seemed to use the 6 on cables. I just did not see anything that "specifically" said, do or do not, that is why I was asking. They all just say the "cab bus cable". But oh well, I guess it's good enough to try it. I may call nce on Monday also, just to be sure.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 AM   #4
MatroxD
Conductor

Worked out fine! Now on to step 2.....

Old 03-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
I am seriously considering adding the Smart Booster to my system too. Three sound equipped locomotives and a fourth without seems to be taxing my Powercab.

After sitting Br.120 on the rails and plugging in the power supply, Br.187 started stuttering on the rails, lost it's programming, and so did the other three.

Removing any sound locomotive from the rails alleviates the problem.

I'll be adding DCC turnout control within a day, and the signalling will also be drawing DCC power, as little as that is.

Does the Powercab now get plugged into the Smart Booster instead of the facia panel?

NCE seems to be lacking in clear documentation on a lot of their product ad copy.
MichaelE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:00 AM   #6
gregc
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I am seriously considering adding the Smart Booster to my system too. Three sound equipped locomotives and a fourth without seems to be taxing my Powercab.
function 8 disables sound on many decoders. Does it also reduce power consumption?u

Quote:
I'll be adding DCC turnout control within a day, and the signalling will also be drawing DCC power, as little as that is.
why not get a wall wart for powering accessories like signals?

Quote:
Does the Powercab now get plugged into the Smart Booster instead of the facia panel?
Not sure if the PTP should be replaced with a UTP which the Smart booster connects to via the connectors in the back. A PowerCab plugged into a UTP should recognize the cabbus signals from the SB5 and behave as a PowerPro.

The one jack on the PTP connects the outer two wire to track which are used by the PowerCab as a PowerCab.

Quote:
NCE seems to be lacking in clear documentation on a lot of their product ad copy.
https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Old 03-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
MatroxD
Conductor

Quote:

After sitting Br.120 on the rails and plugging in the power supply, Br.187 started stuttering on the rails, lost it's programming, and so did the other three.

Removing any sound locomotive from the rails alleviates the problem.

You know, I was in the same boat with my considering and how many locos I keep parked with sound and lights, etc.. Well, not saying anything bad about the powercab at all, but at least it runs better on mine,with the booster. That is extremely evident (was pretty much instantly). My S2 runs at much lower speeds stably.

And the way it goes, and I don't think I went into detail even on my thread. But, the powercab power supply isn't used at all (neither is the bus jack that plugs into the back of the powercab panel, as there is a new one that comes with the SB5). You take your bus to the main layout, plug that into the front of the SB5, then, take the flat cable, and that goes between the powercab panel and one of the two bus jacks in the front(right hand side) of the SB5. Then, the coiled cable connected to the powercab (now, with the booster functions as a procab) goes into either of the two front backs on the powercab panel (pcp). You can, like me, run it this way, until you can pick up an UTP panel. There is a schematic under "reusing a pcp".

But once you get the UTP, you simply plug the flat cable into the jack on the back of the UTP that is labeled cab bus. Then, once again plug your cab with the coiled cable into the front of the UTP. You can then, use the other jack on the back of the UTP for daisy chaining UTP's and other cab bus items. You will need extra cables for the additional items, so you can purchase them, or make your own cables. I'm going to try and do the latter.

To get the cab back up and running, your going to need (this, if course is after you have the UTP) another 6 pin/6 wire cable (another flat cable basically) and you them re set up the powercab panel with the power supply and the flat cable, swapping the cab use, as you can disconnect the cab from the booster/main system, and things will continue running, so you can do your programming on the programming /test track (the powercab setup). Basically, in the end, you have 2 systems...

Hopefully this makes sense as like you said, some of their documentation is lacking imho... Lol

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
MatroxD
Conductor

Just because things are working that much better...

Last edited by MatroxD; 03-05-2019 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: And you know, I called walthers yesterday about the bad switcher, and they gave me a rma number, but with the way things are running, I'm tempted to see how /if it will reprogram, once I have the powe
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post

why not get a wall wart for powering accessories like signals?
A wall wart doesn't provide the logic used to run the signals.
MichaelE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
gregc
Engineer

Quote:
A wall wart doesn't provide the logic used to run the signals.
you're going to control the signals as DCC accessories, not just power them from DCC.