Why can't we get engines with dcc and no sound already installed - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
nrscroller
Gang Labourer

Why can't we get engines with dcc and no sound already installed

Hi
I know you can buy the Bachman ones but theykinda suck. I have been in MRR for years and I used to put decoders in my diesels myself, but at 73, I would rather buy a nice athearn sw or other good brand of switchers with the decoders all in. I don't want or need sound so I think they should offer these for people that want them.
Bill
nrscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I really do not know why they do not offer DCC and no sound. But evidently the majority
of buyers want sound, and its cheaper to make all decoders the same way. Just get what you want and turn sound all the way down.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
wvgca
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO 1890's
you can always purchase a DCC ready loco, and install the decoder of your choice ?

wvgca is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
As wit everything else in business, it's a question of demand. Companies obviously don't see enough demand for DCC w/o sound.

However, two observations (aka nothing is ever constant):
1) New production Bachmann locomotives don't suck. They have really upped their game in the last decade.
2) Almost every new DC locomotive made these days is "DCC-ready". Installing a non-sound decoder is usually as easy as popping the shell, pulling out a small jumper board and plugging in the decoder. And the fact that it IS that simple probably accounts for the low demand.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
telltale
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: N / HO
Not sure if I understand..
If you go to ebay and enter 'HO (or whatever scale you want) DCC locos', There are a ton of " DCC ", "DCC ready" (has plug for your separate decoder) and, "DCC/sound on board"(which of course includes a speaker) locos.. Just buy the plain "DCC" ones which of course have a decoder but no sound.. Not sure about headlight control..Isn't this what you're looking for ?
And yes, Bachmann Spectrum line of locos are terrific nowadays..
telltale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
mesenteria
Dispatcher

I can't be certain about this claim of mine, but it seems to me the only supplier/importer of toy trains who provide non-sound DCC-equipped locomotives is Bachmann. The heavy majority of people want the capability of sound if they bother going DCC, so that's generally what the market supplies.

There might be another importer who does provide strictly DCC locomotives, but not with sound.
mesenteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
telltale
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: N / HO
THIS JUST IN ! There is a used DCC/sound HO Bachmann 2-8-0 (Connie) on ebay for $55 and Listed as very good condition. I know the OPer doesn't want sound , but at this price it's a steal ! These are great runners. I owned one but I broke it and Bmann instead of fixing it due no more parts then, gave me choice of another engine type, wherein I chose the 4-6-0 ten wheeler, another golden goody DCC/sound !!
telltale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 AM   #8
MatroxD
Conductor

Scales Modeled: HO and N
I don't think op is looking very much,or very knowledgeable about brands(may be new to looking for dcc also). There are tons of no sound locomotives. You may have to look at online purchases depending on your local availability, but Omg there are tons!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
MatroxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:08 AM   #9
cv_acr
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatroxD View Post
I don't think op is looking very much,or very knowledgeable about brands(may be new to looking for dcc also). There are tons of no sound locomotives. You may have to look at online purchases depending on your local availability, but Omg there are tons!
Honestly it is sort of a fair question. Some manufacturers like Atlas, Rapido, Bowser, etc. definitely do offer their engines in two different options:

- DCC/sound
- non DCC/sound (straight DC)

There's often no "silent DCC" option from these manufacturers.

However as someone else noted above, all modern production "non DCC" locomotives are in fact "DCC ready" and have a standard plug that allows a drop-in installation of your favourite non-sound DCC decoder in minutes.
cv_acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
J.Albert1949
Conductor

When I got back into the hobby, I first thought I'd want sound along with my dcc.
But... I quickly grew tired of the sounds. Perhaps that's just me. I have one dcc/sound engine -- but won't be buying any more of them.

So... all that matters to me is dcc -- smooth operation, sounds not needed.

I would think we're reaching a point where it probably costs no more than a few dollars extra to produce a "native light board WITH a dcc controller built-into it", than it does to produce a light board only (no dcc). I believe that for mid-upper level locomotives, the market would readily accept that small price increase (if any increase was required at all).

I'd like to see engines offered as "dc AND dcc, no sound" and "dcc with sound".

Or perhaps dc/dcc with the option to add a sound card (and speaker, if needed).
Bachmann has seen the light on this, with their dc/dcc "sound ready" product line.

If Bachmann can do this, why not Atlas, Walthers, Intermountain, etc. ??
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote