I am Happy my new decoder really worked - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 03-30-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
nrscroller
Gang Labourer

I am Happy my new decoder really worked

I have an older Atlas GP I got on craigslist with old sound in it and it just would not act right going over my switches so I actually found the original dcc board the guy left in the box it came in. I tore out the sound and wired back the original board and my engine runs better than ever. I changed cv29 to 7 so it reversed the board so engine is facing the right way when forward running.
Now I have another decent engine in my fleet
nrscroller
nrscroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
J.Albert1949
Conductor

Is that one of the Atlas factory boards that has the "jumper" on top that you move from one set of pins to another to change from dc to dcc?

I picked up an Atlas SD35 at a train show that had one of those boards in it.
It ran the locomotive, but produced a significant "hummm" in the motor while doing so.
I ended up changing it out for a 3rd-party controller, after which the engine ran much better.

I recently tried the same [Atlas] dcc board on another engine (Proto 2000 GP38) to see if it would work, and again -- ran the engine, but same "hummm".

I'm wondering if this was characteristic of older Atlas dcc decoders?
J.Albert1949 is offline   Reply With Quote