Model Train Forum banner

New CT Outdoor Garden RR

32K views 180 replies 22 participants last post by  DMASSO 
#1 ·
We finally were able to start construction of our outdoor garden railroad. Time, laborers and money constraints have already required changes. Hopefully we can button some of it up before the winter. raising money for track building supplies, track and power will be another undertaking.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Wall is only for the dirt retention. The track will be on the interior area and most likely on elevated tubes embedded in the ground.

We had a plan with two loops of track and the wall closest to the building had several in and out curves which are nicer but we went with a straight wall. We will stop as soon as we fill it in and resume in the spring. we need to raise lots of money so it may take a bit longer.

I have carried more blocks in three days than I ever want to do again. I am on my third pair of gloves.

Thanks for looking.

#6 ·
Here is a little update. The main wall is complete. Next step, after may 15, will be the top cap stones. Then it will be filled in and compacted.

Biggest problem is raising the money for track and structures.

Attachments

#8 ·
Don, is the area around there secure?
What is that some kind of park?

I don't remember you talking about where it is and about the building in the pictures? It looks like a RR station, nice. Is that some kind of building for a train club?

After you lay all the track I guess you will be adding some structures? And I guess the trains themselves will be stored inside the building, but I would worry about all the rest just sitting there all out in the open.

Some people get their kicks by doing strange acts of vandalism these days. The Wackos!
I would be worried about someone wrecking all you did after you get it all done.

You need money?
I think one of those walls would look good around my front yard & my low sitting front porch would look nice redone in the block too ..........how much?:p

#9 ·
Never mind about what it is, I just saw the address in your signature.

You ought to make it an actual link like this.
More people might click on it. You know how?
Just copy and paste the link below and insert it into your signature. Make it a clickable link.

http://www.bmrailways.com/page1.htm

#10 ·
Who manages the web site? You?

This needs to be updated?
Upcoming Shows
There are none?

The INFO LINKS
Needs this added, why not?:)
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/index.php

The Welcome page needs a little history on the building that houses the trains.

And more pictures are needed.:D

#11 ·
Thank you. Yes we are a club made up of all volunteers for the Town Of Stratford. The train looking building houses a G shelf, O, S, HO and N layouts. Our O layout was in the July 2015 issue of Classic Toy Train magazine. We are in a town park and there is no security. Our building is alarmed and we will be putting LED lights on it and a video camera.

The track will remain outside, but we will have to bring in the trains and structures.

Eddiem( on OGR forum does our website ). There are no current shows in our area. Photos are on the photo page when you click the highlighted words.

www.bmrailways.com

#12 ·
Thank you. Yes we are a club made up of all volunteers for the Town Of Stratford. The train looking building houses a G shelf, O, S, HO and N layouts. Our O layout was in the July 2015 issue of Classic Toy Train magazine. We are in a town park and there is no security. Our building is alarmed and we will be putting LED lights on it and a video camera.

The track will remain outside, but we will have to bring in the trains and structures.

www.bmrailways.com
The building itself?
An old RR station moved there? Or one just built to look like one?
Nice building.:thumbsup:

Raising some bucks?
Have Andre make models of it for you to sell up there.:)
Do you do raffles at the open houses? 50/50's?

#14 ·
Building was built in 1999 to house an HO layout which was then followed with other gauges.

We cannot do raffles or charge entry fees based on the guidelines of the park. We have a donation stand which is not a big money maker but we have some good Saturdays. If we get train donations, if we cannot use the items we will sell on ebay. The Mayor's recent golf tournament for charities gave us a donation. Two weeks ago, my family gave me a surprise 70th birthday party, at the park pavilion. All presents were for the train museum which allowed me to deposit over $1,100!

www.bmrailways.com

#19 ·
That is a large area, I can think of a lot of ideals for structures to add.
I think some kind of circulating water running through would look nice. Just add a pump to keep it flowing.
Add a working water wheel/mill, line a river bed with the rubber membrane they use for fish ponds and run the water back to a holding tank.
Then you can add some bridges crossing the river in spots.

I see a lot of room for different structures, too bad you could not fence the area off?

What structures do you have planned to add?
You guys (and gals?) going to make your own structures?

Build them like the T man did.:smilie_daumenpos:
http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=86762

#20 ·
Buildings are in the planning stage but we would like to duplicate some of the buildings in the park. They are a bit complicated so it will be a little protracted.
All buildings and trains will have to be put away when we are closed. I know that is a pain but it is the best we can do.
We are trying to keep it simple as possible. We have a new track plan and I will post as soon as I get a copy.
Thanks for all your input.

#22 ·
Crude drawing....but if you re-position the inside loops passing cutoff (the red splotch) to the inside, you could have a longer passing cutoff for the outside line.

Green Sport venue Grass Golf course

#23 ·
My garden railroad has been outside since 2003. I did away with My remote switch machines ,too much to maintain.all rail joints were assembled using electronic contact grease. I'm u seing track power, with very little electrical problems. Biggest problem, deer stepping on track and buildings,and eating plants. Good luck ,I'll keep checking in

#25 ·
Big Ed,

Here's the thinking on the plan we developed...

1) we probably don't need a siding that's more than 12' long.

2) with the current plan, the reach to set up a train on either loop siding is about 2'. We just have to watch out for trains passing by on the outer loop. If we put the passing siding on the inside of the inside loop, we need a club member with 5' long arms to put a train on the siding. ;)

Or, we would have to walk across the layout being careful not to step on or hit the trains on the other 3 tracks that we would need to step over. :D

Here's a better look at the plan:

Drawing

At this point, nothing (except the wall, literally) is cast in stone!

eddiem

#26 ·
Big Ed,

Here's the thinking on the plan we developed...

1) we probably don't need a siding that's more than 12' long.

2) with the current plan, the reach to set up a train on either loop siding is about 2'. We just have to watch out for trains passing by on the outer loop. If we put the passing siding on the inside of the inside loop, we need a club member with 5' long arms to put a train on the siding. ;)

Or, we would have to walk across the layout being careful not to step on or hit the trains on the other 3 tracks that we would need to step over. :D

Here's a better look at the plan:

At this point, nothing (except the wall, literally) is cast in stone!

eddiem
5' arms! :eek:
That would be a Gorilla! Maybe. :D

You know I completely forgot how big the layout is.
I see your point.
I like large passing sidings, but I guess 12' is kind of long.
But as the G scale trains are large, that is not really that long of a train in G scale.
Considering that the average G scale car is 16", long minus the locomotive and tender (what?Around 20"?), that works out to a 7 or 8 car train in the 12' area?
Unless I calculated wrong.
12' = 144"
144" minus 20"(loco&tender) = 124" left.
124" divided by 16" (rolling stock) = 7.75 cars so say an 8 car train.
How long of a train are you going to run?

As far as walking on the layout aren't you planning some kind of path to walk through? You are going to be placing structures around it right? And taking them in.
You also may need a designated path for future accidents if they occur?

But in the end it is your guys (and gals?) RR, to do as you see fit to do.

I just throw my thoughts out while I am thinking them.
I am not one to hold on to my thoughts.:)

I do love the stone work, looking good.:smilie_daumenpos:

#28 ·
Never again will I gripe about all the work when I built my tables.
Never again will I gripe about not being able to reach a problem in the middle of my tables.
That is definitely a labor of love. You gotta love labor to do it!

But I can see once the foundations are complete, the rest will be really a good time.
I want to see this when it's done. Should be really nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.