Installing different types of decoders in different types of locomotives - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > DCC Forum (Digital Command Control)
Forgotten your password?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #21
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO, O, G, N, OO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabledawg View Post
I'll be watching this so I can do my Bachmann GP35? loco after Christmas. Curious though, my GP doesnt look like yours at all, more like the Athern loco.

Either way, I want to see you work your magic befre I tear into my stuff.
Maybe a pic of your loco to verify its manufacturer? I hope to have all the current projects done by the 27. I am going to my local train store tommorow to among other things pick up some shrink tubing a #74 drill bit ( for the install of the ditch lights) and a resistor or two and maybe even another decoder for the trolley that has a post on this thread for it. Hope my How-To's will be of use to you.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #22
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Okay all,

I have not been able to get much work done on the DCC installs up until this weekend. Some of the things that I got done was the finishing of the sw1,dash9,sd40-2, and almost done with the 44ton. I will be getting all of them updated with finished pictures and details next weekend.

Still waiting on someone to suggest a DC engine to convert to DCC!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #23
cabledawg
Engineer

Scales Modeled: HO, G, Lego
Well, I've done a DCC, light, and coupler conversion on a Bachmann Thomas engine, as well as DCC on Bachmann Spectrum F7A/B units as well as my GP40 (which ended up being the same as your GP38) and soon I'll have to do Toby (another Thomas brand engine) and a really small switcher, although I cant remember what style right now.

You looking for a challenge or just something different than the normal GP's/SD's most people have?
cabledawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #24
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Quote:
Well, I've done a DCC, light, and coupler conversion on a Bachmann Thomas engine, as well as DCC on Bachmann Spectrum F7A/B units as well as my GP40 (which ended up being the same as your GP38) and soon I'll have to do Toby (another Thomas brand engine) and a really small switcher, although I cant remember what style right now.

You looking for a challenge or just something different than the normal GP's/SD's most people have?
Well I am currently working on my GE 44ton switchers which is very limited on space since I decided to try doing it without removing any of the weight, so I am really just looking for a suggestion on and engine to do. I listed a list of my current DC engines earlier in this thread. i currently have a simple non-sound Digitrax DH123D that is up for any engine at the moment. If you suggest a steam engine then I will most likely get another sound decoder to install so that will take a little more time to do but really any engine suggestion will be fine.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #25
NIMT
Yard Master

Have you done a twin decoder install?
Or a twin with sound?
Twin decoders are used to control smoke with one decoder and motor with another decoder.
You program them together with the same address.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #26
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMT.COM View Post
Have you done a twin decoder install?
Or a twin with sound?
Twin decoders are used to control smoke with one decoder and motor with another decoder.
You program them together with the same address.
Sounds like quiet a nightmare to due and like it would take a lot of space to do. I might do a smoke decoder type and then include a sound decoder to make a twin install but i would hate to screw up the programming in one of them. Even if they do have a lock out feature I think I could possibly screw that up but i will give it a shot if I get some engine suggestions.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:19 PM   #27
gc53dfgc
Station Master

Quote:

So did you get to your other DCC installs?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #28
der_fisherman
Hobo

England DIY Train Control

I am helping a friend, who is retired, to try and automate his old system. I was hoping that there is a DIY section on this, but have not found anything yet.
Can anyone help?
regards
Andy
der_fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #29
tjcruiser

Scales Modeled: HO ... and growing Lionel O
Andy,

Pretty generalized question there. Hard to answer in detail without knowing more of your specific goals, experience, etc.

Here's a simple primer on DCC systems ...

http://www.loystoys.com/info/how-dcc-works.html

TJ
tjcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #30
gc53dfgc
Station Master

I can always give pointers and what not for installing decoders in engines. I need to make some time to get the final pictures of the sd40-2 up since it is still running flawlessly without issues. I still need some time for the little switcher that eats up decoders, I might have to do a dual motor decoder if it decides to eat one more decoder just so I know its not a motor draw issue.