Fred's 312 - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 11-04-2019, 01:20 AM   #41
AFGP9
Conductor

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
Flyernut, as far as being closer together, I would welcome that for sure since I know of no other Gilbert American Flyer guys around where I live. The closest ones I know are a 100 miles from me.
I cross paths with them at two train shows that are held each spring and fall 80 miles from me. Around here it is either HO or O gauge.

I had to learn how to fix stuff by default since there is nobody to ask. Anyway, I used to build race engines so I thought how hard can it be to tackle steam engines. As you stated, patients is a definite requirement. So I bought every repair manual there was. Of course the internet in general was a lot of help but the best thing I ever did was join MTF back in 2015. Lots of good information, especially from you, flyernut and the rest of the guys who chip in with advise or information.

Kenny

Last edited by AFGP9; 11-04-2019 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: Spelling
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 AM   #42
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Kenny, no S guys around me either. There is a S club in St Louis, but they don't seem to
run old Gilbert locomotives. I agree this forum is a huge help for us. I joined here in hopes
that someone could help me get my 282 running correctly. LOL, actually I got no help that fixed my 282. Lots of suggestions but none helped. I did get it fixed but I stumbled on to the fix. I have learned a huge amount from the guys here. Of coarse I have to mention flyernut. He gave me so much help on repairs. He helped me like we were old friends from way back. Joining the forum was the best thing for my S experience. Or the worst thing for all the money I have spent and the more boxes of trains around the house. Like I really needed more. S was my least used scale till I joined. Now it is 95% of my train time.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #43
flyernut
Yard Master

I finally got Fred's 312 on the lay-out. She's about as fast as his PA diesel,lol.. It runs very, very well, e-unit cycles perfectly, but the smoke out-put is non-existent. It smoked fairly on my test bench, but on the lay-out, it's very disappointing. I can't let it go out like that so a smoke unit is going in, and that means a complete tear-down.. Oh well, you'll have it by Christmas, I promise,lol!!!
flyernut is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #44
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
I finally got Fred's 312 on the lay-out. She's about as fast as his PA diesel,lol.. It runs very, very well, e-unit cycles perfectly, but the smoke out-put is non-existent. It smoked fairly on my test bench, but on the lay-out, it's very disappointing. I can't let it go out like that so a smoke unit is going in, and that means a complete tear-down.. Oh well, you'll have it by Christmas, I promise,lol!!!
It likes you so much because of all of the love and care that you have given it, I refuses to leave your good home!
Old 11-05-2019, 07:23 AM   #45
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
It likes you so much because of all of the love and care that you have given it, I refuses to leave your good home!
Thanks buddy.. I treat everyone's stuff like my own, even better.It's raining here today so it's a good rainy day project.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #46
mopac
Station Master

You are a good man, don't care what the others say about you. Just kidding.
Thanks for taking care of Broke.

Broke, I have a feeling this 312 will be your new favorite locomotive.
The K5s are nice engines.
I really don't have a favorite, I like all of them. They all have their place.
I have a nice roster and hope I never buy another one.
Well, I would like a 303, 307, 287, 295, 316, 325, and a K335.
I have issues.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #47
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
You are a good man, don't care what the others say about you. Just kidding.
Thanks for taking care of Broke.

Broke, I have a feeling this 312 will be your new favorite locomotive.
The K5s are nice engines.
I really don't have a favorite, I like all of them. They all have their place.
I have a nice roster and hope I never buy another one.
Well, I would like a 303, 307, 287, 295, 316, 325, and a K335.
I have issues.
I don't care what they say either buddy,lol!! Because of Fred's,(Broke), eye-sight, he sent me a additional tender for a little re-hab. I polished up the pick-up wheels, took off any corrosion from the copper pick-up strips, and tore apart the e-unit, doing my normal service; polish the drum, removed any rust/corrosion from the drum's axle ends, smooth out the drum axle hole with some rolled up sand-paper, and adjusted/oil the brass pawl. Installed the drum and put on new upper and lower fingers, and installed one of my wire harnesses.Assembled and tested with one of my test mules and everything is 100%. Added some new wiring from the rear truck to the upper finger as it seemed to be very brittle. Sorry for the bad pictures.001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG
Old 11-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #48
mopac
Station Master

Smart thing to do Broke. That will fix you up.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #49
flyernut
Yard Master

Well, I finally finished with Fred's 312 and spare tender. Like I said earlier, the loco is indeed fast, but I still don't like the amount of smoke that's coming out. I have it already boxed up and ready to ship, so it is what it is...I hope it meets Fred's expectations.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #50
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: American Flyer S Scale and some N Scale with a maginfier glass
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
Well, I finally finished with Fred's 312 and spare tender. Like I said earlier, the loco is indeed fast, but I still don't like the amount of smoke that's coming out. I have it already boxed up and ready to ship, so it is what it is...I hope it meets Fred's expectations.
My expectations are never as high as your work! I only wish that I could compensate you for your expert efforts on my behalf! Thanks Buddy!!!