Rebuilding 312...what is this part? - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #21
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
If you decide to get a repo flyer/lionel set ask about it here. I know a bit about them.
I have 4 of the sets. Not sure why but I do. As flyernut said avoid the early 80s sets.
They have open frame AC motors with a terrible reverse unit. I have one of these sets and it has been a pain. I have 3 sets from the 1990s. They are better with DC can motors.
I might buy a 90s A-A PA set with can motor and switch shells with my 80s Southern Pacific set. I like the paint scheme. All the sets have nice paint and nice passenger cars.
Just ask if you come across a set you might want. 375.00 is a good price for one of the sets. I bought a Pony Express (Union Pacific) for 375.00.
They used to go for 500.00.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #22
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Some thoughts on your train collection. The yellow/blue diesels are very desirable, worth getting in operating order. If they were run frequently the power trucks may need a bushing replacement to get the engine working properly.
The 1947, 48 and 49 production items can be identified by year if the original couplers are present. 1947 couplers have a thick shank but no weight. In 1948 a brass weight was added to the couplers. In 1949 and beyond the weight was black. A 1947 312 would have the smoke in tender. 1948 and beyond were smoke in boiler.
Does the 716 dump car have an outside sliding pickup shoe or pickup contacts under the truck between the wheels. The latter would be 1947, the former 1948 and later.
Most 1947 girder cars had a plastic base, either gray or off white. 1948 and later were diecast. Once you know the year of the set you can look for the correct 627.
I am not familiar with the MRC AC100. Since it has horn and whistle buttons it may not be a pure sine wave output. Those buttons will not activate original Gilbert horns/whistles and the harmonics in a non sinusoidal output will cause the horn in your Santa Fe diesel to sound continuously.
Thanks for all the great info! I have smoke in boiler and the coupler is a LC to KC conversion. The 716 dump car has the sliding shoe. So we are looking at 1948 and later.

Thanks for the advice on the MRC AC100. Any suggestions on a good mid-priced transformer?

I am going to try very hard to get those Chiefs running again. The good news is the B unit has not been butchered!
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #23
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
If you decide to get a repo flyer/lionel set ask about it here. I know a bit about them.
I have 4 of the sets. Not sure why but I do. As flyernut said avoid the early 80s sets.
They have open frame AC motors with a terrible reverse unit. I have one of these sets and it has been a pain. I have 3 sets from the 1990s. They are better with DC can motors.
I might buy a 90s A-A PA set with can motor and switch shells with my 80s Southern Pacific set. I like the paint scheme. All the sets have nice paint and nice passenger cars.
Just ask if you come across a set you might want. 375.00 is a good price for one of the sets. I bought a Pony Express (Union Pacific) for 375.00.
They used to go for 500.00.
I've seen a NIB American Flyer 6-48147 AA set for around $430 shipped. It would serve well since I have a good B unit, but I would rather get my originals running. Still, it is interesting as a backup unit, while I get things worked out. But, I don't know if they are 80s or 90s. Thanks for the info and I will take you up on advice before making a big purchase.

This might be a dumb question, but if using a unit with DC can motors, would that entail buying a DC transformer?

Old 06-27-2019, 02:21 PM   #24
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
With the exception of some 332 and 342 steam engines all American Flyer engines will run with AC track power.
If you want to use original Gilbert transformers the 4B, 8B, 12B, 15B, 17B, 19B and 30B are all fine to use if in good condition. I always liked 19B's but they are expensive. The 15B is a less costly alternative with a dead man's handle. The 4B and 8B are not expensive and do not have rollers to wear out.
In a modern transformer MRC made a single and a dual control pure sine wave transformers but they will be expensive when you find one.
Since I operate modern Legacy engines I use a pair of ZW-L's which are off the charts expensive. For my Christmas layouts I use an MRC AH 101. They are 270W dual control but not pure sine wave. I simply just use engines on that layout without the built in horns and whistles.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:29 PM   #25
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
The 6-48147 was cataloged in 2009. It is a good, modern production conventional engine.
The full retail on that engine set was $369.00. Also the MRC AC100 will work well with and activate the sounds on that engine set.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #26
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Not a dumb question at all. The electronic reverse units convert the AC to DC for the motors. AC works fine.
I use a lionel ZW transformer. Hope to get a ZW-L someday. They are expensive. 8 to 900.00 range. I use the
ZW over an AF transformer because start voltage is 2 volts and AF transformers start at 7 volts. So slower speed
can be achieved with the lionel.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:59 AM   #27
shaker281
Conductor

Wow, thanks guys. This is great stuff! I spent an hour on the phone with Jeff Kane at TT and ordered many bits and pieces today. Great guy and really helpful on a phone order. I'm testing with my 25w transformer from the All-Aboard set, but am going to look into transformers next.

Soon I will start tearing into the Santa Fe Diesels. I've already ordered some missing parts (screws, plastic horns, bulbs) and new wire and finger assemblies for that project. I'm sure I will start another thread when I start running into questions on that!

And I ordered some new "windows" for my 751 log loader and light sockets for some passenger cars and cabooses and other odds and ends. But I do digress...
Old 06-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #28
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Wow, thanks guys. This is great stuff! I spent an hour on the phone with Jeff Kane at TT and ordered many bits and pieces today. Great guy and really helpful on a phone order. I'm testing with my 25w transformer from the All-Aboard set, but am going to look into transformers next.

Soon I will start tearing into the Santa Fe Diesels. I've already ordered some missing parts (screws, plastic horns, bulbs) and new wire and finger assemblies for that project. I'm sure I will start another thread when I start running into questions on that!

And I ordered some new "windows" for my 751 log loader and light sockets for some passenger cars and cabooses and other odds and ends. But I do digress...
I'm glad you tried Jeff.. he's a great guy and has tons of stuff for any gauge, plus he ships on the honor system.. I've put in orders with him before and have received them the next day, (he's only around 25 miles from me).. And to set the record straight, my opinion on Jeff is in no way a slam on Doug Peck and PortLines. Both guys are extremely knowledgeable and very helpful... I use them both, but Jeff is my first choice.
flyernut is online now   Reply With Quote