Thought this 486 Santa Fe Chief was toast - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
shaker281
Brakeman

Thought this 486 Santa Fe Chief was toast

But, It is looking pretty good now. Was missing a wire from the front truck to the light bulb, I actually found the original piece of wire and replaced it. Light works. Worse though was the spot welds on the front subchassis were drilled out (don't ask). Still, after cleaning out the holes with a 3/16" drill bit, I was able to pop rivet it back into position. Not original but very secure and serviceable. And barely noticeable. Finally I polished the wheels and pickups and oiled the axles/wheel hubs lightly. I am waiting on chassis screws from Train Tender, as those were missing too.

This makes me very happy as I was disappointed with my 10-year old self for cannibalizing this beauty!

I did learn that even a small amount of water will remove the front decals. Oops, but easily fixable. Now to see if the 484 locomotive can be salvaged! It has cut wires and a loose armature and who knows what else!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2930.JPG (2.83 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by shaker281; 06-29-2019 at 12:49 PM..
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
That is a nice looking engine. Looks like the horns are missing. You are making amazing progress on the repairs.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
shaker281
Brakeman

Thank you. Horns are on the way.

I've got the 484 engine unit apart and one of the motors completely disassembled. It was almost completely frozen up from dried grease. I think I can make it work if I am lucky. It was cut free from the harness , but enough wire is left at all points to splice, solder and heat shrink. The brushes look good.

The field clamp, with the screws to adjust (center) the field was loose, so it may need adjusting. Any ideas on how that is done?

Also, what grease can I use on the gears? I have some Mobil1 synthetic (red) that I use on automotive suspension and NAPA wheel bearing grease. But, I suspect there is something more specific to the job. LOL - The original manual I have says to use Vaseline.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #4
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
For gear lube I use a white lithium grease. The Lionel guys seem to like Red and Tacky.
I have only had to re center two diesel fields. I just did it by trial and error. Start by approximating the position by eye, then run, readjust, run, repeat until satisfied.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I use the white lithium also. Many years ago I did use Vaseline, but it seems to melt and run off the gears. Gone. The white lithium sticks to the gears. You can get a tube of it almost anywhere. Menards, any auto parts store.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
shaker281
Brakeman

Then white lithium it is!