It's alive! - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #21
shaker281
Conductor

Those readings are very helpful. Thanks again for your help. I have cleaned the turnouts and only have one attached presently. The sluggishness was happening before I attached it though. But, I'll remove it temporarily to limit the variables.

13v at output of transformer while train is running full speed. 12.7v at track. I cleaned the track terminal and track at attachment point. The wire is 16 gauge and I tinned the wire at the terminal end, and with spade connectors crimped on at the transformer end.

Unloaded voltage at transformer output is 16.15. Voltage halfway around track at engine location 12.4.

So, I think I am losing around .5v unloaded at transformer and up to 1.3v at engine wheels 180 degrees around. I think this would account for what I am seeing in terms of speed. I've cleaned all the track pins, but there might still be some high resistance points there. And I am suspecting the transformer could stand internal cleaning at this point too.

Edit: OK, I've cleaned the internal contact points on the transformer and a few track pins that looked nasty still. I am up to ~13.4v at train wheels while running. I suspect that a bit more track pin cleaning and some OX100 will help some more.

Last edited by shaker281; 07-12-2019 at 02:16 PM..
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #22
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy55 View Post
If you do consider re-busing your power trucks you may want to consider the cost.Two trucks with shipping back and return will surely be over a hundred bucks.You may consider looking for a donor two motor PA.It may be cosmetcally bad with good running chassis.Although that opens another can of worms as the donor may have same chassis issues.If that is the case you have another project.....
I'm thinking less that the engine is the problem at this point and more just a transformer that needed cleaning and some 60-70 year old track that needs additional care.

I agree though. I doubt I'd pay that to ship and repair. I'd probably buy the tools and give it a go myself or buy a donor chassis, as you suggest. I like a project and always enjoy acquiring tools!

Edit: I've now gone all the way around with a meter, looking for any sections that are higher than 0 ohms through the pins, and cleaned those spots. I am up to 13.6v at engine wheels, running full out, 180 degrees from transformer. I think that most of my issues are solved.

Thanks guys for the assist!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #23
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
It is always fun to quickly assemble some track and run some trains but at some point all this needs to be properly cleaned and assembled so the trains run good. It sounds like your engine power trucks are not worn nor causing a problem.
I bought my grease at the local hardware, it was stocked near the breakers and breaker panels. I am sure there are other brands that do the same thing.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #24
dooper
Brakeman

RE - Centering of fields - I did mine by eye also. With body removed, you can test by making small adjustments and see how fast it runs. The last time I did it, it really made a difference in performance.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #25
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
RE - Centering of fields - I did mine by eye also. With body removed, you can test by making small adjustments and see how fast it runs. The last time I did it, it really made a difference in performance.
That is exactly what I was wondering: if it made a performance difference. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #26
shaker281
Conductor

So, decided to try re-centering my fields and discovered that one of my 484 axles wasn't engaging the armature worm drive! Apparently the galled screws that I thought I'd repaired weren't holding the bearing cap or brush assembly securely on one of the trucks!

I've made a temporary repair while waiting on new screws and made adjustments to the fields - now she's running much stronger. When the screws and some new fiber washers get here I'll make further repairs and adjustment, but I am finally seeing the true capability of this engine. Along with more track cleaning, and conductive grease on track pins, she is running very smoothly now.

Edit: Just completed the final repairs (for now - lol). I realigned the brush that was a bit off, replaced the galled screws at the bearing caps. Re-soldered a questionable wire to winding attachment point. Greased and oiled wheels and gears. Cleaned the commutators again. Put new leaf springs on the couplers. Centered the fields just a bit. Insulated the (now) magnetized reverse unit pawl that was sticking (with a piece of e-tape). And replaced some non-standard metal washers with the correct fiber ones. She is running fine! Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Last edited by shaker281; 07-21-2019 at 05:01 AM..