The 312 engine that started my journey is running! - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 07-18-2019, 11:33 PM   #41
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
For a missing oil wick, I bought a sheet of felt the correct thickness.. It will last me until I'm long gone....
I actually knew I could do that and will snag a sheet of felt if I run across one. Truth be told, I just didn't feel like going shopping. And if I ask the wife to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby, it is likely to trigger a spending spree, negating any potential savings to me. Could end up being the most expensive piece of felt ever!

BTW, I used your idea to (drill) chuck the armature and polish both the commutator and shafts. I'd actually done something similar when building pinewood derby cars with my son (axles), but it never occurred to me until you mentioned it. Great idea! Definitely better than the rudimentary job that I did by hand. Unless the armature is indeed faulty, this is going to be a great running unit when I am done.

Last edited by shaker281; 07-19-2019 at 12:06 AM..
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019, 04:54 AM   #42
flyernut
Yard Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
I actually knew I could do that and will snag a sheet of felt if I run across one. Truth be told, I just didn't feel like going shopping. And if I ask the wife to go to Michael's or Hobby Lobby, it is likely to trigger a spending spree, negating any potential savings to me. Could end up being the most expensive piece of felt ever!

BTW, I used your idea to (drill) chuck the armature and polish both the commutator and shafts. I'd actually done something similar when building pinewood derby cars with my son (axles), but it never occurred to me until you mentioned it. Great idea! Definitely better than the rudimentary job that I did by hand. Unless the armature is indeed faulty, this is going to be a great running unit when I am done.
I won my Pinewood derby race back in 1958 while a cub scout.I was dis-qualified as the winner as I had oiled the axles on my racer. I was given 2nd place and the 2nd place award was a AMT model kit of a 1958 Ford fairlane.
flyernut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:19 AM   #43
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
I won my Pinewood derby race back in 1958 while a cub scout.I was dis-qualified as the winner as I had oiled the axles on my racer. I was given 2nd place and the 2nd place award was a AMT model kit of a 1958 Ford fairlane.
A 1958 AMT Fairlane is not bad.
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote