Why I have not been active on the S Scale Forum - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #21
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Broke, that is one nice thing about AF locomotives. Most parts are interchangeable.
Those reading tenders came with Atlantic locomotives, but will work with your K5s.
If you don't care, I don't care.
But Al, I do care! I just don't have the money presently, to acquire two proper K5 Tenders. For some strange reason, all the new golf clubs and cars that I am buying my doctors curtail my train addiction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
I see two tender shells lettered for Reading Lines but two six coupled chassis. These do not go together. Are there four parallel projects on your bench?
Thanks for the info Tom! I learn things and promptly forget them. I admire those such as you that have so much knowledge.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:58 PM   #23
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Proper K5 tenders are not cheap. Really no tender is cheap. I think they are all over priced. You can almost buy the loco and tender for what people want for just tender.
Crazy world sometimes. I don't even look at ebay anymore. No money for trains, plus
I have enough trains. LOL, never thought I would say that. Well, I am trying to convince myself I finally have enough trains. They are all over the place here. I have some of most scales. It was not the smartest thing I have done. I go a little hobby crazy. That's why I pay 65.00 a month for storage unit to store them Not too bright. Don't know if it will happen but it is time to reduce inventory.

When I was about 20, I wanted all my stuff to fit in one cigar box. Should have stuck to that.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 AM   #24
flyernut
Yard Master

Prices can be stupid. I needed a tender for a 4-piece boiler 302. I finally got not 1 but 2.. I paid $16 bucks for 1 and $12 for the other. I recently picked up a very nice 4-piece boiler 302 and it came yesterday. All original with just some very minor scuffing, a truly nice little loco.. But it won't run....I did one of my services on it, and now it really flies.. I was going to flip this one but it runs too darn well and looks the part. The nice thing was the seller asked $40 bucks or best offer, and I was just wanting to bid on something and I offered $20...He took it!!!
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:34 AM   #25
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Good prices flyernut. I see sellers wanting 20 to 30 just for same tenders. I bought all my 302s complete with loco and tender for 20 to 30 ( not my 4 piece).
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 AM   #26
C100
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: S, HO
What I am Not Active on S-Scale

Hey Broke,
I know you do not have 50 acres of wheat growing, but a great resource for anyone that gardens is Jim Crocketts "Victory Garden."
That has been my "Bible" for a long, long, time. That was a show on PBS hosted by Jim Crockett out of Boston. That book is still available on Ebay for cheap money. When my tomatoes start to produce fruit, we prune them to keep the size in check and put energy into the fruit instead of the leaves. Did A.C. Gilbert produce a tomato variety??
Going out to pull weeds.
C100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:05 AM   #27
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by C100 View Post
Hey Broke,
I know you do not have 50 acres of wheat growing, but a great resource for anyone that gardens is Jim Crocketts "Victory Garden."
That has been my "Bible" for a long, long, time. That was a show on PBS hosted by Jim Crockett out of Boston. That book is still available on Ebay for cheap money. When my tomatoes start to produce fruit, we prune them to keep the size in check and put energy into the fruit instead of the leaves. Did A.C. Gilbert produce a tomato variety??
Going out to pull weeds.
Thanks for the info! I just ordered one for under $2. Gilbert should had produced a tomato, after all they produced everything else. I really enjoyed my chemistry sets!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:32 PM   #28
dooper
Brakeman

Tomato plants are of two kinds, determinate and inderterminate. (sp?) Determinate are like bushes. Indeterminate are more like vines and need to be staked. Both home grown types are the best. I have not been on line as we have bought a lake house on a chain of 7 lakes. Getting moved in and getting boat ready to launch. The good news is we have an unfinished lower level (lake side) large enough for a large layout (about 40ft by 20ft) .
now for the planing stage. If I am allowed.
Al
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:53 PM   #29
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
For tomatos we just buy the nicest looking Heirlooms in the local stores. I got over trying to grow anything decades ago.
Al, I hope the basement floor is at least 5' above the historical high water level. Given that. I am most envious of a 20'x40' layout space. If I had that I would devote a small piece to a train store entry for display of all my original new condition boxed items. Then I would fill the rest with an expanded version of my current 17'x21' track plan including more staging tracks.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #30
dooper
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
For tomatos we just buy the nicest looking Heirlooms in the local stores. I got over trying to grow anything decades ago.
Al, I hope the basement floor is at least 5' above the historical high water level. Given that. I am most envious of a 20'x40' layout space. If I had that I would devote a small piece to a train store entry for display of all my original new condition boxed items. Then I would fill the rest with an expanded version of my current 17'x21' track plan including more staging tracks.
Well Tom, I may have spoken too soon. "She who must be obeyed" will only allow me a 10x15 feet for a layout. She has other plans for the rest of the space. The lower level is a walk-out, the upper is ground level. Sorry for the delay in responding but just got home today. The chain has a dam at one end, so flooding is not an issue.
Al
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote