trivia question - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
dooper
Brakeman

one of AmFlyer's contact's wife is one also.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #12
JMedwick
Gang Labourer

Oak park...
JMedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #13
dooper
Brakeman

BINGO Dooper stands for Dear old oak parker -- where i went to high school - Oak Park and River Forest High School. I grew up poor in River Forest, one of the richest suburbs. Full of gangsters, home of Tony (big tuna) Arcado - as a kid if you had the guts on halloween your would get a 10 cent box of Cracker Jack ( this was 1952 -3). Same school as Earnest Hemingway, home of the creator of Jay's potato chips, Kool Aid, inventor of the Twinkee, Mars candy. And Sloan Valve, you can't go to any men's room with seeing a Sloan valve.

My father was a fireman with four children, and on his day off he would work for these people as a handy man, and I worked with him, it was tough seeing classmates in their room while I was washing his windows.

Anyway, a great education. (Paul Harvey lived there) - "Now you know the rest of the story/."

Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Your hint is of no help to me. I used to live in Cary, IL which is kinda a suburb of Chicago to the west but I still have no idea.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #15
mopac
Station Master

Wow, lots of famous people from that area.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #16
dooper
Brakeman

Sam Giancano, the mafia head after Tony Arcado lived in Oak Park until he was assinated in basement. His daughter was 'the mafia princess'. Had a classmate who lived two doors away. The FBI always had people watching 24/7.

And Ray Croc lived there also (have you heard of McDonalds).
Old 06-28-2019, 05:23 AM   #17
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooper View Post
BINGO Dooper stands for Dear old oak parker -- where i went to high school - Oak Park and River Forest High School. I grew up poor in River Forest, one of the richest suburbs. Full of gangsters, home of Tony (big tuna) Arcado - as a kid if you had the guts on halloween your would get a 10 cent box of Cracker Jack ( this was 1952 -3). Same school as Earnest Hemingway, home of the creator of Jay's potato chips, Kool Aid, inventor of the Twinkee, Mars candy. And Sloan Valve, you can't go to any men's room with seeing a Sloan valve.

My father was a fireman with four children, and on his day off he would work for these people as a handy man, and I worked with him, it was tough seeing classmates in their room while I was washing his windows.

Anyway, a great education. (Paul Harvey lived there) - "Now you know the rest of the story/."
Interesting!

IIRC Frank Lloyd Wright lived in Oak Park, IL and designed homes there.

My current neighbor worked many years at Sloan Valve.

I spent my summers in Cicero with my grandparents back in the 60's, not far from Oak Park. My wife worked at the place (Borden) that made Cracker Jack in the 1980's (after they moved to Northbrook, IL). We gave out boxes of Cracker Jack at Halloween - Borden's gave us around 48 boxes each year just before Halloween. At that time we lived not far from Cary, IL in unincorporated McHenry, near Burton's Bridge.

Lots of connections.
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #18
dooper
Brakeman

I have been in many of FLW's home in Oak Park and River Forest. Jerry Sloan played basketball with my brother - three years older than I. And, let us not that Earnest Hemingway graduated from OPRF, but he was smart and got out of town as soon as he could.

The Borden dairy was a few blocks away. As kids we would cadge some chocolate milk from the returning drivers. And even better, a Hostess bakery was next door (twinkies, snowballs, and cupcakes). When the boss was not around they would give us the seconds that could not be sold. Oh to be eight years old again.
Al

P.S. you and MoPac both lived near Cary at one time.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
mopac
Station Master

I still love snowballs.

In Cary we lived by a trout lake and a pay lake for fishing, if that rings a bell.
And I remember a ski jump ramp. I was a little guy, maybe 5th grade.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:32 PM   #20
dooper
Brakeman

I do remember seeing the ski jump ramp as a young lad - unique - you reminded me of it. Cary was in the boondocks - my father had a friend living there so I was there once.

I have not been able to find and snowballs. I was devastated when Hostess went bankrupt. They brought back the twinkie but not the snowballs. They say that if the earth is devastated the only thing that will exist are cockroaches and twinkies.

Had dinner last night with a a bunch of classmates from high school. One of whom married the daughter of the man who invented the twinkee. Another who was my first ever date who's father built Meadowdale race track, subsequently turned in Carpentersville. ill.

I know a lot of people with money. Why do I always pay?