trivia question - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #21
shaker281
Brakeman

http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/EN/...er+Grove/0726/

And let us not forget this place! Apparently re-opened.

https://santasvillagedundee.com/

On a related note, those old rides from 1950's Santa's Village would have been a much bigger version of American Flyers - LOL! Many were sold off and hopefully collected and refurbished when it closed in 1979.

I still live near Cary, in Algonquin, Il. And yes, this used to be considered "the boonies". Not so much anymore.

Of course, near Oak Park was Fairyland.
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #22
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Wow, you guys are bringing back memories. Was a long time ago. I remember the names Fox River Grove and Algonquin. Seems we used to go swimming at Fox River Grove. A beach I think. I remember some poor fool was killed going down that ski ramp on a motorcycle during the summer time. He did not make it. No idea how he got the bike to top of ramp. I remember Cary as a very small town. Neat down town. The train stopped in Cary and my dad rode it to work every day in Barrington. Another neat area. Strange what you remember. A person was hit by the train downtown and story was they never found his head. My wife saw a guy hit by a train and body parts do tend to fly off.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #23
mopac
Station Master

We probably only lived outside Cary for about a year. My dad moved us around a lot.
He was a trouble shooter for the business he worked for. By the time I was in 8th grade I had been in 11 different schools. We lived in West Virginia, Kentucky, 2 cities in Ohio, Michigan, 2 cities in Illinois we also lived in Peoria, Texas, and finally Missouri. I was 11 when we lived in Cary. I remember riding my bike to down town Cary. We lived on a black top road across from a large farm. Many acres. Its probably a subdivision now. I collected coins then and I would go to the bank on Saturdays and get rolls of coins to go through. I also remember taking a bag of silver half dollars to the bank and cashing them in for paper money. That bag would be worth many hundreds of dollars now. I still regret doing that.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #24
shaker281
Brakeman

So funny, I did the exact same thing at that age, going to local banks and the local Jewel Food store and trading rolls of coins for other rolls of coins, I still have my childhood collection.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #25
mopac
Station Master

Jewel is who my dad worked for. Not the grocery store part but the home shopping part.
He actually sold the 282 I have had since 1955 to my grandmother in 1952. Yes Jewel used to sell
American Flyers. I have my coins also. LOL, not all the halves I had.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #26
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Jewel is who my dad worked for. Not the grocery store part but the home shopping part.
He actually sold the 282 I have had since 1955 to my grandmother. Yes Jewel used to sell
American Flyers.
You are NEVER going to believe this - Mine Too! They used to have family picnics at Jewel Park in Barrington each year! This is the box I had some of my train stuff in. The name was changed from Jewel Home Shopping to JTs General Store at some point. My Santa Fe Chief set (the one I am restoring) was bought in 1957 by my father before I was even born. He gave it to me around 1967 when he thought I was old enough to appreciate it. This was shortly after I received the All-Aboard Pioneer 600 as a Christmas gift from my Grandmother and Great Aunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2931.JPG (3.04 MB, 2 views)
Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #27
mopac
Station Master

Small world isn't it. I also have been to the family picnic in Barrington. Too funny. Days gone by. I remember JT"s General store. My dad, my brother, and me worked for the Jewel Tea Co. I ran vacation relief during the summers when I was in high school and
college. I was offered a very good job with Jewel. I had finished my college and a Vice President for Jewel offered me a regional manager job
with Jewel. It took my dad at least 10 years to obtain that. I saw how hard my dad had worked and usually out of town 3 days a week and I did not want that.

I ended up selling new Fords for 30 years. The last 10 I was sales manager. I loved the job but high stress. The dealership owner and Ford on me to sell more more more. Its a numbers game. They were never satisfied. Had 2 heart attacks in 2006 and pretty much retired. LOL, have not had a heart attack since so I think it was the job. It had its good points. For 30 years I always had a new car to drive and gas and insurance and only had to buy a car for the wife.

Last edited by mopac; 06-29-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Old 06-29-2019, 11:06 AM   #28
shaker281
Brakeman

I did vacation relief too for a year. My Dad started in the business in about 1970 and eventually bought his route and continued until he retired late 1980s.

You cannot make this stuff up!

And going full circle to user names mine refers to the 2003 Mach 1 that I had with the shaker scoop, I know a lot about Fords! I used to have a business relationship with the sales manager at a now defunct operation in West Dundee. I bought my cars directly from him before business hours. Was sorry to see that place close down. My close friend was the finance manager at a Pontiac dealer and he told me a lot about the stress level.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #29
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Interesting discussion. I lived in Woodridge Center in the late 70’s, then at 1455N near the lake in the city in the early 80’s. I returned to Chicago in 1990 and lived in Wheaton for 3 years. It was wonderful being close to the DuPage monthly meets. It cost me a lot of money.
Sorry, but my wife shopped at Dominic’s, I avoided grocery stores. Now I just have this Entemann’s Bakery delivery truck on my layout.

603D2302-00BB-4E7B-B1C9-3FACE203F508.jpg
Old 06-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #30
mopac
Station Master

Cool bakery truck Tom. Very nice. Have you bought any of the lighted autos from Menards? I have a few. Headlights and tail lights light up. I am half way watching for an American Flyer semi truck.

Shaker, so your dad was a Jewel man. My brother bought his route also. Wasn't always that way. It was a great service back when most women didn't work and were home all day. Many families back then only had one car and the father took it to work. With most women working now it killed the home shopping service. No one home during the day. Jewel wanted my dad to go to Orlando, Fla. but my dad saw the end of Jewel Home Shopping service coming and did not want to be left in Florida so he retired.
Cool you had a Mach 1 with shaker hood. I had a 65 GTO with tri-power and 4 speed.
It was bad to the bone. I miss it. I bought it in 67 and sold it to an old girl friend about
1970. I had it in college and the guys would wake me up in the middle of the night and want me to drive them around. They always came with gas money.

Sorry Tom, I just remembered the Menards cars are O scale. So of coarse you don't have any. I do O also.

See Shaker, we like pics. Post them if got them.