trivia question - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #41
shaker281
Brakeman

Very cool! Yeah, Texas is huge on drag racing and car culture and those guys can go all year long. I'm lucky if I can go 6 months out of the year. After the 66 Mustang I got a 70 'Cuda and pretty much ruined it's collectability, well me and the rust belt winters. Still, I drove it for 10 years before selling it. Didn't have another hot car until I bought the 2003 Mach 1 nearly 20 years later. I've been making up for lost time, lol. I doubt I'll ever sell the Shelby though. The new ones are rumored to list around $75K and up. We'll see in the fall. Ford has been mum.
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #42
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
I just saw in last day or 2 Ford released the pricing. I did not read the article cause I knew I could not afford one. I bet your 75,000.00 is close. I think around 650 HPs.
Nice toy.

My GTO ran low 13s. And every once in awhile I would hit the 12s with great shifts.
Doesn't really seem all that fast but it was late 60s and double AA fuel dragsters were running in the 8s. Now they run in the 3s.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:33 AM   #43
shaker281
Brakeman

High 12's in a 60s car is really good. Most people think they were a lot faster, but they were very limited by the tires of the time. Many could not even get into the 13's. But, they looked cool as heck and were easy to work on!
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #44
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Mopac, that reminds me of the infamous red car, blue car pair of GTO test cars released to the press. All the journalists commented how much faster the red 4 speed was. One magazine recorded a [email protected] quarter mile. Many years later Pontiac admitted it was a specially built ringer with a 421.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #45
mopac
Station Master

my GTO would do 112 to 115 in the quarter. It was fast and I think the 3:93 rear gears helped. With that rear end I don't know if it would hit 120 in a long run. It was set up for the quarter. It was turning 3,000 RPMs at 60 mph so 120 would be 6,000 RPM and it would not turn 6,000. At about 5,500 the valves would start floating. And like I said It would start to run out of gas. With the original 3:23 rear end it may have done top speed of 130. I never tried it, That is too fast on public streets. I still have some time and speed tickets from the track somewhere around here. And a couple trophies around here. I got one for my 57 chevy. LOL, K/ stock class. It was cool but not fast. Seems like it was 17 or 18 second quarter mile.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 PM   #46
dooper
Brakeman

l I am glad my little trivia question brought many together. Jewel still have some stores in the Chicago area. Dominics closed a couple of years ago. I miss them. Do you remember Meadowdale race track? It was created by a man named Bessinger. His daughter was my first date ever. Had dinner with her a few days ago. Her father closed the track and created the village of Carpentserville. She is still living off rent income from there.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:37 PM   #47
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
I do not recall that track. I moved from Pa to Woodridge in 1975, was it operating then?
A 115 trap speed is impressive for a near stock 1965 GTO. My 442's would not quite hit 100 with a 3.42 rear gear. The 442's I owned were oversquare design, they would rev to 6k w/o valve issues but shifting above 5200rpm was an exercise in futility. The 65 GTO came with a 4GC carb, not sure what you had on the 428. Mine had Quadrajets which properly tuned were very good carbs.
The Quadrajets had multiple sizes of fuel inlet valves, when I put in a hotter cam with ram air and much richer secondary metering rods the engine would starve for fuel. The issue was solved with a larger fuel inlet valve, the pump was ok.
Times have sure changed, my daily driver will trap above 125 with the top down and the A/C on. Just change the transmission control from Comfort to Race and hit the gas. With enough room just hold the throttle down and it hits the 186 speed limiter. On the freeway it gets 20mpg.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 PM   #48
mopac
Station Master

My 428 had a quadrajet when I got it. I put it in the GTO with the quadrajet. I could tell my car was not as fast so I put my tri power on the 428. Much faster. I heard people had trouble with the tri power. Keeping them tuned together. I never had any trouble with mine.
They worked great. The GTO would run on the center carb until full throttle. I could feel
when the other 2 carbs were going to kick in. I would try to beat people with the center carb. I beat this one guy and he just knew that if we raced again that he could take me.
So he puts up a hundred bucks to race again. Lot of money in late 60s. For a hundred bucks I was not going to hold back anything. I blew the snot out of his car. He really got mad at me. It was his fault. He realized I was sand bagging the first race. I had a friend with a beautiful 4-4-2. It was fast but we never raced each other. Not sure why.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #49
mopac
Station Master

Coolest car I ever drove on a track was a Pontiac ex cup car. 650 HP. We have a nascar track here in St Louis. I don't think we have had a cup race here but what ever the nascar minor league guys raced here Earnhardt Jr has raced here as he was coming up to cup racing. Richard Petty had a neat deal here. For a price you could drive a race car on the track. It was called the Richard Petty Driving Experience. So cool. My wife got me a drive for one of my birthdays. There was like 6 cars on the track at once, but they would not let us pass unless someone was really slow. Which there was some. Half of the guys driving were scared. Not me. I wanted to go. I was a nascar fan at one time. Not so much now. Your instructor drove in a car behind you. There was radio in the helmets and they could talk to you. I think I got 9 or 10 laps. My speed was in the 140s.
Would have been much more for me If the slow guys would get off the track. They held me back. First 2 laps my rear end felt like it was going to come around in the curves. My instructor told me the tires would hold so I did not worry about it. Would like to have done 170. That's what the pros did on that track.
Instructors had a kill switch for the cars, if you were being an idiot they could kill your car.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #50
dooper
Brakeman

I never into fast cars, only fast women and convertibles. Do not own a sedan. An older sebring and a Nissan Cross Cabrolet, a convertible SUV. One of about 15,000 ever built.

Meadale Race track closed in mid top late 60"s.

n

Last edited by dooper; 07-02-2019 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: add a word
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote