Looking for local assistance in disposing AF Stuff - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #1
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Unhappy Looking for local assistance in disposing AF Stuff

"Now is the time for all good men to ....RYRYRY"
I am looking for someone local to assist me in disposing of my American Flyer Stuff. I want someone to come physically to my place and sort, pack and dispose my small collection. I am willing to either pay for the service or trade some for the service.
It seems like it is time to give it up. I have been trying to rebuild/rewire a 312 for the past three weeks but all I do is add two more problems to the one that I was trying to fix. Vision, shaking hands and loss of mental dexterity brings me to this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goodbye cruel world.jpg (53.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg failure.jpg (239.4 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Broke, you have caught me off guard. Did not see this coming. Certainly hope you reconsider. Flyernut has said many times he will help with repairs. All you would have to do is run the trains. You have a nice layout, I don't have one. I think you need to reconsider this decision. You would miss your old flyers, and then what would you do
when they are all gone. What do you want to do, play ping pong? I understand the shaking and eyesight. Can't help with that. I know you would miss your trains if they are gone. Send flyernut 2 or 3 at a time and let him take his time. He is a busy guy.
But he would do it for you. Quit working on them. Its causing frustration. Your mechanic days are over. But you can still be an engineer. That's the fun part.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #3
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Fred, we respect your decision but are you really sure? We really hate to lose a fellow S gauge operator from our fold, we will miss you.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
dooper
Brakeman

I totally agree with MoPac and AmFlyer.
Al
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
Jwh2000
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S scale and O scale
Fred, Please rethink.
Jwh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
flyernut
Yard Master

Fred, please re-think.. I'll fix or attempt to fix any steam engine you have, free of charge, parts,etc. Just send them to me.. and if I have a little extra cash, heck, I'll even pay the shipping.. My heart goes out to you about the health concerns, and you're always in my thoughts and prayers..My cousin faced the same problems and he ended up selling his entire collection of post-war Lionel... Even if you do decide to sell, you had better stay with us in the forum, we all appreciate you and your thoughts..
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
Kelpieflyer
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S (the best) and some O
Hey Broke,

I know that you don't know me except as a person on the forum, but I would be happy to help repair things also. Like everyone else, no charge. I can tell that you enjoy the trains, so think about taking the guys up on their offers.

I've been a flyer guy since 1969 when I got a surplus stock All Aboard set when I was 6, and cant get it out of my blood.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #8
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Broke, can you still run trains? Do you enjoy running AF steamers? Have you read these posts? You have friends that will do your repairs. Don't get stubborn on us. Take the help.
If you still want to get rid of your trains then do it. But just know you did not have to.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 AM   #9
AmFlyerFan
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: S
Send a message via Yahoo to AmFlyerFan
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
It seems like it is time to give it up. I have been trying to rebuild/rewire a 312 for the past three weeks but all I do is add two more problems to the one that I was trying to fix.

I think your 312 issue is clouding your mind. Put it away for a bit and enjoy your other S stuff. If it was easy, it wouldn't be as much fun. We've all seen how active you been in the past, hopefully this will pass.
AmFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM   #10
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
It is very nice to see how many good friends, that I have never met, on this forum! I truly appreciate all the well wishes expressed. Of course I don't want to depose of my American Flyer's and I get much pleasure just looking at them. My motive was to try and please my wife. She doesn't care if I have them but is getting tired of my frustrations and sometimes bad temper as I deal with wanting to do what I use to do in the past. (It is not just the trains, but I will leave that alone. lol)
Thanks for letting me know that I have friends that care! I will ask the moderator to delete this thread and put it all behind me.