Rebuilding 312...what is this part? - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #1
shaker281
Brakeman

Rebuilding 312...what is this part?

Hi folks,

I am new to site and just started rebuilding a 312 locomotive that I have from childhood. So, not very experienced and this is pretty new to me. I have an almost complete All Aboard Pioneer 600 set and a late 50s Santa Fe Chief ABA set with log loader and this 312 arrangement that I got around 1969 at a garage sale.

All have been stored for nearly 50 years and I am just assessing what exactly I still have. Most is in pretty good shape and I have cleaned and tested my 25w transformer and am looking to buy something a bit bigger too.

I am sure I will have lots of questions, but I would like to start simple. As I was disassembling the 312 locomotive unit for cleaning and lubrication and repair, out fell a small L-shaped spacer (for lack of a better term) with a small unthreaded hole in it. Of course I never saw where it came from. Can anyone tell me where it goes, maybe a part number or AF part name?

Second question is: Although I have cleaned the reverse unit in the tender with contact cleaner, compressed air, alcohol and Q-tips, It still seems to stick in the operated position most of the time, though it releases at the slightest touch or tap. I see no bent tab or slot damage and the solenoid does operate. Any idea why this will stick in the "up" position?

Edit: I am starting to think that the tab seemingly sticking is maybe a non-issue. If the train were running the slightest vibration or movement would cause it to drop into the resting position.

Thirdly, where can i find a wiring diagram and pictures of the harness that attaches to the tender from the plug on the engine? Mine has two broken wires and it is unclear where they are supposed to attach.

Edit: I found the wiring diagram -
http://www.portlines.com/portlinesclinic10.htm

I have already re-soldered a wire to the headlight, now it lights with power applied. And re-soldered a harness wire to the plug that goes into the engine.

Finally, can anyone advise where exactly I should apply grease and where I should apply oil? I know light oil goes on any linkages, axles and grease in the gearbox, but is there anything else I need to lubricate?

I know this is a lot, but I do appreciate any help that I might get.

Thanks, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2891.JPG (3.73 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2892.JPG (2.76 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2893.JPG (3.10 MB, 5 views)

Last edited by shaker281; 06-22-2019 at 02:31 PM..
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
The factory service manual is online at myflyertrains.org, take a look at the exploded view diagrams it contains. The piece that fell out is the mounting bracket that holds the rear of the chassis assembly in the correct position in the shell. There should be two of these, one for each side.
The reverse unit likely needs rebuilt and possibly replacement fingers. Search on "flyernut" here on the forum, he has posted how to's for this. It is not hard to do.
If it moves, lube it except for the commutator face. Grease on the gears, light oil on the linkage, axles and armature shaft bearings.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
The factory service manual is online at myflyertrains.org, take a look at the exploded view diagrams it contains. The piece that fell out is the mounting bracket that holds the rear of the chassis assembly in the correct position in the shell. There should be two of these, one for each side.
The reverse unit likely needs rebuilt and possibly replacement fingers. Search on "flyernut" here on the forum, he has posted how to's for this. It is not hard to do.
If it moves, lube it except for the commutator face. Grease on the gears, light oil on the linkage, axles and armature shaft bearings.
Thanks! it was the armature shaft bearings specifically that had me wondering about lube.

I'll look up the reverse unit rebuild procedure.

Now that I know what that (rear mounting bracket) piece is, it will make locating it's position much easier. I was looking in the front. And it did seem weird there was only one, the other must still be stuck in place.

And big thanks for the service manual info!

Old 06-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

The brackets go on the drilled pads just in front of the field in you picture.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
The brackets go on the drilled pads just in front of the field in you picture.
Thanks again.

Yes, I found the location. And it seems one is missing. I could tell by the screw heads and two different sized brush springs that this was apart once before. I'll need to make something up to replace the missing piece. I don't see it on the parts diagram from the service manual, so it may be part of the housing assembly. I am missing a few screws too (flat heads on the tender), but those seem to be readily available.

Cannot seem to find that reverse unit rebuild thread by flyernut. I am assuming it was in the S gauge forum and created by flyernut.
Using search terms like, "tender", "reverse", "unit" and "rebuild" has been fruitless, other than a basic post on a tender cleaning.

I have another question as well. When looking at the online service manual the wiring harness is indicated as a PA10511-A and that item is available online, but is 12". The actual length on mine is about 5-6" and seems to correspond to the PA10511 (6"). Can anyone clarify this?

Last edited by shaker281; 06-22-2019 at 04:44 PM..
Old 06-22-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Take a look at Clinic #23 on the PortLines site.
Bookmark americanflyerclub.org. All the sites you should need for reference are listed under the Flyer Website Links tab on that site.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #7
shaker281
Brakeman

Thank you once again for taking the time to help a newbie!

I found the below reference in clinic #23 and it is exactly what I suspected, not a mechanical interference, rather a magnetized pawl. A small square of electrical tape inserted in the gap between the flapper and coil bottom proved this was the problem. Now to disassemble and clean more thoroughly.

"Another trick that usually works....IF that pawl just refuses to drop back down, it may be because the "flapper" at the bottom of the e-unit has become magnetized, and it won't release from the solenoid coil bottom. Easy solution----glue a small fiber washer to the bottom of the solenoid coil. Now, the "flapper" cannot contact it.....it will still operate, but it will drop again when current to the coil ceases!"

Last edited by shaker281; 06-23-2019 at 06:20 AM..
Old 06-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

It sounds like you are making quick progress on the 312 rebuild. The engine will run ok without those two brackets but the rear of the boiler shell will sit low.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
flyernut
Yard Master

AmFlyer has answered all your questions for you..About that wire harness, the 12" is for a Northern, you need a 6". Don't buy the ones advertised on ebay, get it by the 3 foot section. It's cheaper, and you can adjust the length as needed. Also, make sure you have the small felt oil wick in the center of the brush assembly. And, as you re-build, check all your white insulators on your wheels to be sure they are tight and not loose. If they're loose, us some CA to glue them back. DON'T remove the wheel sets from the chassis, if you do the whole unit will have to be re-quartered.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
AmFlyer has answered all your questions for you..About that wire harness, the 12" is for a Northern, you need a 6". Don't buy the ones advertised on ebay, get it by the 3 foot section. It's cheaper, and you can adjust the length as needed. Also, make sure you have the small felt oil wick in the center of the brush assembly. And, as you re-build, check all your white insulators on your wheels to be sure they are tight and not loose. If they're loose, us some CA to glue them back. DON'T remove the wheel sets from the chassis, if you do the whole unit will have to be re-quartered.
As Mopac says, "FlyerNut, you da man!".