Just spent my Fathers day money. - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Just spent my Fathers day money.

In my family we mainly give money for presents. That way you get what you want instead of a gift you won't use or don't care about. I just bought a nice 326 Hudson off ebay. Seller says it is excellent. From the pics I will agree. It was not a bargain but was nice. It is serviced, lubed, LOL, it runs good, reverse unit works consistently, new harness from tender to engine, new capacitor and speaker for the tender whistle ( could not care less about these new parts, I am sure it still sounds like crap). I have a nice 322 Hudson but wanted a 326 for the pulmor tires. When I get it I will post pics in the "what have you added to your roster" thread.

This should be a link to the ebay item.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Fl...IAAOSwNCRc-UHr
Take a look at the pics. No one else bid on it. That always scares me LOL. Click on the sold banter.

Shipping was cheap, only 8.29

I did screw up on something. One of my sons gave me money and the other son gave me an Ebay gift card. I wanted to use my gift card but did not get to. I clicked on pay now and it took it all out of my checking. It never went to page where you put in codes to pay for item. It will still be good and I will buy anouther steamer soon. I don't need anymore but can you really have too many.

Last edited by mopac; 06-24-2019 at 03:20 PM..
mopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
dooper
Brakeman

Quote :I did screw up on something. One of my sons gave me money and the other son gave me an Ebay gift card. I wanted to use my gift card but did not get to. I clicked on pay now and it took it all out of my checking. It never went to page where you put in codes to pay for item. It will still be good and I will buy anouther steamer soon. I don't need anymore but can you really have too many.

I totally agree, you can never have to many steamers. I have quit counting.
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
mopac
Station Master

Seller says 1952 on the year but I just got a message from him I would have to hook up the 5th wire and he told me about the red dot on plug. Sounds like a 1953. I thought I saw a white smokestack in the pics. Already mailed it so should be here thurs.

Hey dooper, wouldn't it be cool to know the production numbers on these steamers? I have never seen them.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
mopac
Station Master

Wow, we may have a record here folks. I paid for this locomotive at around 1:30 PM yesterday. Seller mailed it same day. It has already went through main post office for St Louis and it is on the way to my local post office. Should be in my mailbox around 1:00 PM
tomorrow. That is fast. From Tennessee to Missouri. Not all that far but it would not be quicker if guy was 5 miles from me. I better put down some track on the floor so I can test run it. Many of my steamers I bought untested, which means they do not run. This one suppose to run good. Nice to unpack them and put on track and run it. They cost more that way but sometimes worth it.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
dooper
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopac View Post
Seller says 1952 on the year but I just got a message from him I would have to hook up the 5th wire and he told me about the red dot on plug. Sounds like a 1953. I thought I saw a white smokestack in the pics. Already mailed it so should be here thurs.

Hey dooper, wouldn't it be cool to know the production numbers on these steamers? I have never seen them.
Yes it would. I kinda remember seeing something, but can not remember where. They were probably thrown into the trash, like much of their parts when they went bankrupt.

There may be some reference to numbers in Don Heimburger's book. By the way, Heimburger is the S Guagian person. And he lives in my hometown - River Forest here in Illinois

Maybe AmFlyer can shed some light.

Last edited by dooper; 06-25-2019 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: additional info
dooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
You are referring to the interview with Maury Romer published in Don’s book. Maury was very vague about quantities. All the factory production records were destroyed.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
The largest collection of Gilbert paper I am aware of is held by Andy Jugle. Andy lives in the Chicago suburbs. He always attended DuPage along with Dave Garrigues. Years ago I bought some rare duplicates Andy had. Andy was at the most recent S Fest in South Chicago, he had a table. The most knowledgeable on approximate quantities would be Bob Bubeck. He has researched this extensively for his AF rarity guide. But all these remain only informed estimates.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #8
flyernut
Yard Master

That rear tender step appears to be bent, or repaired...
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
mopac
Station Master

I hope not but it is common. Seller showed that pic for some reason. I am a sucker for good strong cab numbers and it appears this one has that. I saw the step and figured it was repaired. At least it is there.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:43 AM   #10
mopac
Station Master

Seller had a couple Hudsons for sale with the large motor but those were over 300.00.