Started the 484 basket case rebuild - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
shaker281
Brakeman

Started the 484 basket case rebuild

Things are going better than expected. I was able to butt splice w/ solder and shrink wrap the wiring harness back to the rear truck. The green wire was broken off right at the brush contact point. It was a bit of a pain, but I think I am happy with the result. Turns out that if you get the brush contact hot enough the actual brush starts to come off! That required care, but I believe it is serviceable. Added a bit of wire to the black wire that goes to the top of the truck and Bob's your uncle!

The entire rear motor is now cleaned up and ready for reassembly too. If I can get the field centered it may be A-OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2944.JPG (3.39 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2945.JPG (2.84 MB, 2 views)
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #2
flyernut
Yard Master

Make sure the wires going to the brushes are in the correct position to keep contact on the armature shaft.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
shaker281
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
Make sure the wires going to the brushes are in the correct position to keep contact on the armature shaft.
Thank you, I had to trim some insulation to prevent binding and they seem to self center once the springs are attached, but that is a concern I have.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #4
shaker281
Brakeman

I got one of the 484 motors running! The worst one too. My rewiring and brushes turned out OK. I haven't rebuilt the reverse unit yet, but a lot of contact cleaner really freed it up. Not only was it sticking, but it wasn't directing power to the motors. Now it is.

I centered the field and everything seems OK. I am not sure what I would be seeing if it were not fully aligned, but so far so good.

Now I am starting on the motor that I have not pulled apart yet. The primary problem has been hardened grease and the reverse unit being filthy! Of course I am cleaning the armature and greasing gears and oiling bearings and axles as I go.

I had two stripped screw holes on the first motor for one of the bearing hold-downs. The screws would not tighten. But I used a small strand of solid copper wire inserted in the screw hole, as a sort of "heli-coil" and it worked perfectly.

This is starting to get exciting!

On edit: I just got the front motor and truck reassembled and she's a runner! Works perfectly and have cycled the reverse unit about 40 times successfully.

Last edited by shaker281; 07-01-2019 at 06:53 AM..
Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
shaker281
Brakeman

Here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2957.JPG (4.23 MB, 1 views)
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
Looks nice. Keep plugging. I do not have any original diesels. Just steamers.
I do have 4 sets of fly/onel diesel sets and passenger cars. From the 80s and 90s.
I have let my steamers pull a string of the passenger cars.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
shaker281
Brakeman

Thanks! As a backup plan I was bidding on a running 484 unit. It is up to $150 with shipping , so I'll probably let that one go. Now when my parts for the smoke unit rebuild get here, I can focus on getting the 312 together finally. And then reconditioning the 751 log loader, which will be mainly cosmetic, as everything works functionally.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
A nice set you now have running, congratulations!