Cleaning Bankers Set passenger cars - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 07-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: O,S Pre & Post War
Cleaning Bankers Set passenger cars

Hi all, just got the cars to make up my New Haven Bankers set...How can I clean/polish them as there are some “dark” areas on them? Also, what can I use on the light diffusers with the people on them? Thanks for the help 👍

John
hcopter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Sagas
Hobo

John, can you post a picture as an example of the "dark" areas to try to determine what they might be and how best to deal with them? If the paper diffuser has yellowed with age or dirty replace with a good quality legal size paper or you can order replacements from Port Line. The silhouette strips can be cleaned from the inside lightly using a moistened cotton face cloth and dried with a microfiber or cotton towel. If the strips will come out easily, all the better to get the facing side as well. Do one car at a time so as not to mix up the strips as they are usually dedicated to that specific car.

Others here will have more suggestions and I have just given you what works for me. That set is a nice one. J.B
Sagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #3
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Thumbs up

Thanks JB, how do you get the cars apart? John
Ps: I will try to post a picture

Old 07-06-2019, 05:27 AM   #4
shaker281
Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcopter51 View Post
Thanks JB, how do you get the cars apart? John
Ps: I will try to post a picture
That is something I am wondering too. If they are like some of my older cars, all that is visible are brass looking "dots" at each corner. No visible screw heads or tabs.

I am learning that my first choice is always foamy dish soap from a used hand soap foamer and a soft paint brush (Meguiar's detailing brush) and a microfiber towel. I work my way up to rubbing alcohol and Q-tips next and where applicable. I used canned compressed air to displace traces of moisture.
shaker281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:29 AM   #5
flyernut
Yard Master

If the cars are plastic, there should be 4 brass push pins on the bottom of the car in each corner of the chassis.Use a fine bladed screwdriver to lift them out. Don't use the sides of the car as a lever, you could very well chip the plastic. If the pins are stuck and won't come out, use the tip of a soldering iron to heat them up so they can be removed. I've used this method many times without any damage. Use warm water on the silhouettes, anything else or stronger could damage them.As for the diffuser paper, I use a product made by "Pro Art," and it's called newsprint. It mimics the original paper to a tee, comes in 9"x 12", fits the car perfectly, and you get a large pad of it,(50) sheets, for $2.29.. You'll probably pay 50 cents a sheet or more for it from a supplier such as PortLines, plus shipping. Not bad-mouthing Doug Peck, just putting that out there.
flyernut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
That is something I am wondering too. If they are like some of my older cars, all that is visible are brass looking "dots" at each corner. No visible screw heads or tabs.

I am learning that my first choice is always foamy dish soap from a used hand soap foamer and a soft paint brush (Meguiar's detailing brush) and a microfiber towel. I work my way up to rubbing alcohol and Q-tips next and where applicable. I used canned compressed air to displace traces of moisture.
Thanks shaker, this sounds like a good method...I will try it.....
Old 07-06-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyernut View Post
If the cars are plastic, there should be 4 brass push pins on the bottom of the car in each corner of the chassis.Use a fine bladed screwdriver to lift them out. Don't use the sides of the car as a lever, you could very well chip the plastic. If the pins are stuck and won't come out, use the tip of a soldering iron to heat them up so they can be removed. I've used this method many times without any damage. Use warm water on the silhouettes, anything else or stronger could damage them.As for the diffuser paper, I use a product made by "Pro Art," and it's called newsprint. It mimics the original paper to a tee, comes in 9"x 12", fits the car perfectly, and you get a large pad of it,(50) sheets, for $2.29.. You'll probably pay 50 cents a sheet or more for it from a supplier such as PortLines, plus shipping. Not bad-mouthing Doug Peck, just putting that out there.
Thanks flyernut, if I have any trouble at all removing those pins(yes, the cars are plastic) I will just leave it alone...I am very dangerous with a soldering iron The silhouettes are only a little dirty so I may just use a q tip with warm water....Thanks for the "Pro Art" tip also....
Old 07-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #8
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Here is what I am talking about.....Would like to get these looking better....All three are pretty much the same, Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car1.jpg (175.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg car2.jpg (177.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg car3.jpg (289.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagas View Post
John, can you post a picture as an example of the "dark" areas to try to determine what they might be and how best to deal with them? If the paper diffuser has yellowed with age or dirty replace with a good quality legal size paper or you can order replacements from Port Line. The silhouette strips can be cleaned from the inside lightly using a moistened cotton face cloth and dried with a microfiber or cotton towel. If the strips will come out easily, all the better to get the facing side as well. Do one car at a time so as not to mix up the strips as they are usually dedicated to that specific car.

Others here will have more suggestions and I have just given you what works for me. That set is a nice one. J.B
JB, I have posted the pictures as you suggested....
Thanks, John
Old 07-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Those passenger cars have six screws, all visible, that hold the body to the chassis. The easy part is getting the screws out, the hard part is then getting the body off the chassis. In theory the chassis will slide out the end of the body if the body side skirts are carefully spread apart. It is also possible to slightly spread the body sides so the chassis comes out of the body guide slots. In any event it is possible to crack the side skirts getting the body off. Good luck!
From the pictures the dark areas look like failure of the silver paint, not something that can be removed.