Cleaning Bankers Set passenger cars - Page 3 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Your repair skills and experience are far more useful!
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 AM   #22
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: O,S Pre & Post War
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Since you said this is a NH Bankers set, 1959, I am assuming the band is orange. In the picture it has a red look to it. The only reported late production passenger cars with metal push pins in place of screws were 1960 red band cars. The orange band cars do appear to have been made in 1960, 1961 & 1962 but they are not listed in any cataloged or uncataloged sets made in 1960 or later. If Gilbert did convert back to push pins in 1960 your set may be a post 1959 Bankers set.
Yes, they are the 24776,24816, and 24836 Orange stripe cars....I guess I will just try to clean them up as much as I can....Thanks to all for your input

John
hcopter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 12:28 AM   #23
AFGP9
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
hcopter51

If you plan on keeping those passenger cars I have used a method of painting those cars. Somewhere I read that Michel's had silver metallic 2 oz. bottles of brush on paint that was a good match for the chrome roofs on the 660 series of chrome cars. I had a set like yours as well. This paint is Folk Art #662 Silver Sterling later replaced by #2964. It matches the roofs of the 660 series of chrome cars perfectly. Keep in mind this paint is a silver metallic paint and not supposed to be chrome even though I have used it on the skirts of the 660 cars without an appearance problem.
Since the roofs of these are not smooth, the paint flows very well and looks good when dried. As for the sides. since your cars were silver from the factory, and the sides are like the roof, not smooth, (at least mine weren't), this paint looks good there too. You must use a good medium width, semi-stiff artist paint brush, (sable), to get a good finish. This paint must be stirred well before applying because of the metallic base. I found that it must be applied in long continuous strokes for the best results.
All this being said, this method is for the "looks good to me on my railroad" crowd. One last comment. Because you are using a good quality brush and this paint is a thin base, no brush strokes will show using the long continuous strokes method. I should add that I am also an artist painter and I had a badly peeling chrome 660 on which to practice on the roof and get the strokes right.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
If you plan on keeping those passenger cars I have used a method of painting those cars. Somewhere I read that Michel's had silver metallic 2 oz. bottles of brush on paint that was a good match for the chrome roofs on the 660 series of chrome cars. I had a set like yours as well. This paint is Folk Art #662 Silver Sterling later replaced by #2964. It matches the roofs of the 660 series of chrome cars perfectly. Keep in mind this paint is a silver metallic paint and not supposed to be chrome even though I have used it on the skirts of the 660 cars without an appearance problem.
Since the roofs of these are not smooth, the paint flows very well and looks good when dried. As for the sides. since your cars were silver from the factory, and the sides are like the roof, not smooth, (at least mine weren't), this paint looks good there too. You must use a good medium width, semi-stiff artist paint brush, (sable), to get a good finish. This paint must be stirred well before applying because of the metallic base. I found that it must be applied in long continuous strokes for the best results.
All this being said, this method is for the "looks good to me on my railroad" crowd. One last comment. Because you are using a good quality brush and this paint is a thin base, no brush strokes will show using the long continuous strokes method. I should add that I am also an artist painter and I had a badly peeling chrome 660 on which to practice on the roof and get the strokes right.
Thanks AFGP9, do you know if Hobby Lobby carries this paint or who does? I will try this method and I truly appreciate the advice....Glad there is a way to improve the looks of these cars....The roof and sides of these cars are NOT smooth, they have ridges....Thanks again...
John
Old 07-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #25
AFGP9
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: S gauge/American Flyer
hcopter51

First of all I apologize for not looking at your photos more closely and noticing the sides of your cars better. Those will paint nicely because of the fluted or ribbed sides and the roof. Those are exactly like the ones I had. As for whether or not that Folk Art paint line is available at Hobby Lobby, I do not know. Once I found the paint at Michel's I looked no further. Painted as I explained, you won't be disappointed.
AFGP9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #26
hcopter51
Gang Labourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGP9 View Post
First of all I apologize for not looking at your photos more closely and noticing the sides of your cars better. Those will paint nicely because of the fluted or ribbed sides and the roof. Those are exactly like the ones I had. As for whether or not that Folk Art paint line is available at Hobby Lobby, I do not know. Once I found the paint at Michel's I looked no further. Painted as I explained, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks again, I saw you said Michel's so my fault....I may just look on line and order there....Can't wait to see the end result....Take Care,

John
Old 07-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #27
cramden
Engineer

Scales Modeled: S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Since you said this is a NH Bankers set, 1959, I am assuming the band is orange. In the picture it has a red look to it. The only reported late production passenger cars with metal push pins in place of screws were 1960 red band cars. The orange band cars do appear to have been made in 1960, 1961 & 1962 but they are not listed in any cataloged or uncataloged sets made in 1960 or later. If Gilbert did convert back to push pins in 1960 your set may be a post 1959 Bankers set.
Tom, here's some more confusion to ponder. Dad bought my Bankers set new in 1959 and it came with 3 digit orange cars with metal name plates. When I started collecting years later , only then did I realize that it should have 5 digit cars. Probably Gilbert using up existing stock of cars. I've looked over the years at other Bankers set at shows and on ebay but haven't come across any others with 3 digit cars, only 5 digit cars, although some others may have come like mine. I bought a nice 24816 orange vista dome to add to my original set but had it packed away. I went and dug it out and it has steel pins (7) in total securing the body to the frame. To be honest, I never looked at it before to see how it was secured to the frame. Interesting that Greenberg lists red stripe cars with screws or pins but no others. I don't own any other 5 digit stream liners so don't know how they were assembled.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #28
cramden
Engineer

Here's a couple of pics. of my original set.IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG Here's the 24816

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG
Old 07-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #29
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
I have a 1957 New Clipper NH passenger set. The orange stripe cars are 3 digit in 5 digit boxes. This was common in 1957.
I think most collectors did not pay close attention to screws vs steel pins holding on the floors of the 5 digit passenger cars. There may be a lot more with the pins than were documented.
It is possible there were still leftover 3 digit orange stripe cars in 1959 since there were no cataloged sets using them in 1958. The only way to know for certain is if you have the set box and all the individual boxes along with some provenance on the set. I believe you have the latter since it is your original set. Did your dad buy it in a sealed SB?
It was common for dealers/stores to hand assemble the cataloged sets from their store inventory for customers.
There were also sets sold though department stores that have never been documented in the literature. I know since I have one. My 322AC set was bought by my dad at Kaufmann's in Pittsburgh December of 1950. It is in a 4611A set box. That set was only made through 1949. My set is a 1950 production, the 322AC is a late 1950, Oct50 date stamp plus the thick stanchions which make it 1950 or later. The set has a 632 substituted for the 629 and a 577 billboard without its OB packed in the set box. I have all the boxes plus all the paper and tags.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #30
cramden
Engineer

The box is long gone, it was the later flat box with the cardboard insert that held the engine and cars along with track and transformer. It appeared on Christmas morning as far as I remember. The trains were already on the layout that only was set up for the few weeks around Christmas. They were stored in the attic and its possible he tossed the flat square box do to the fact that the attic had pull down stairs that might have been difficult for him to carry up because they were narrow and the box was wide. I really don't know, just glad they weren't given away to the neighbors kids like most of our toys as my brother and I got older.