Buyer caution with Red LED's Turnout replacement - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
C100
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: S, HO
LED Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeCurmudgeon View Post
I bought 10 of these along with some green lamps fro EBay. My intent was to replace the original lamps found on the turnout controllers which draw much current and get hot to the touch. I figured that LED's would work better. I still do, but out of the 10 Red LED's there were three that broke while gently screwing them into the base. They separate from the base. I still like and thing that this is a good idea but only with a better quality lamp. I may try to glue the base to the LED with super glue and see if that will work without separating. At least they are not all that expensive.
Hi Broke,
I think I might have bought the same bulbs on eBay awhile back. They were advertised as 12 to 16 volts. When they arrived they were marked 12V. I tried them, and in a short whlle they burned out. I contacted the seller about the discrepancy on the voltage, and they offered to replace them with the same thing. I opted for my money back and advised them to change their listing. They did not, and after a few days the ad was removed. You get what you pay for. The 24v bulb is an option, or you need to spend more money for a quality product. JMHO
C100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
MichaelE
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO
You can find quality replacement LED's at Mouser Electronics. Digi-Key too.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: N Scale and some American Flyer S Scale
Update: 1) I super glued the led to the base and that solved that problem. 2) I ended up with over half of the led's twisting of so I lubed the socket with silicone grease. The results were not what I had hoped for or expected. Some of the sockets are tight while others a OK. I will have to spend some more time resolving this.
3) Conclusion is to be happy with the original and put up with occasional burnt fingers as long as you have the VA's to handle it, and I do.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
Like I said, buy some 24V bulbs, they are inexpensive and greatly reduce the heat produced.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #15
shaker281
Brakeman

I've seen 24v bulbs in 1.5w and 5w (on Amazon). Which would be more appropriate?
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Really, in the correct 9/16" globe with the red or green paint? Does the listing say they replace #441 and #443 bulbs? This is a guess because I do not know but I would assume the originals were 250 to 350 milliwatts. Maybe I am way off. I always just got mine from one of the train parts suppliers for about 75 cents a piece so I never needed to know the wattage. C7 Christmas tree bulbs were 5W so I doubt that is correct for the turnout controllers. I can hardly imagine how hot that 9/16" globe would be with a 5W filament in it. I guess get the 1.5W.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
shaker281
Brakeman

Good answer! These are not colored. Nor 9/16" globes. I though we were talking turnout indicator housing bulbs. I now realize we are talking RC switches.
shaker281 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #18
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFlyer View Post
Like I said, buy some 24V bulbs, they are inexpensive and greatly reduce the heat produced.
Would you have a part number?
Old 07-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #19
BrokeCurmudgeon
Dispatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
Good answer! These are not colored. Nor 9/16" globes. I though we were talking turnout indicator housing bulbs. I now realize we are talking RC switches.
Maybe I'm lost but I was talking about the turnout control switch that has two red and two green bulbs.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #20
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

The clear bulbs that go in the turnout housing are 7/16" globes. The correct replacement bulb is a 2447. the original Gilbert number was 453. I believe the replacement number for the turnout controller bulbs is 2449R & G. Sorry I misunderstood which bulbs you wanted.