Model Train Forum banner

S Scale time

9K views 83 replies 9 participants last post by  AmFlyer 
#1 ·
Drove the golden spike in my HO layout concluding the first phase of that adventure so thought I would try to get my one and only S scale locomotive operative. Posted about it here before.

I read where these were offered on both AC and DC varieties, this one looks like a brushed DC motor to me, so after insuring that the armature was free to rotate I applied max DC to the brushes through a cheapo power supply to no luck. Tried AC for grins with the same result.

The tender which I have not opened has some sort of a lever on the bottom.

Can someone give me a quick tutorial on just what I have and the means to get it running.

The AF transformer does not work, open field windings.

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
Thanks guys, but I have run into trouble. Not difficult for me to find.

Trying to save the original wiring from tender to locomotive I found that one of the outside wires had separated internally, just pulled right out of the cloth. Got on line and found a replacement but I wanted to see if this thing would run on track today. Thought about splicing on a wire but gave up on that, don't think that it would accept solder. So...….got to wait for the replacement.

In the meantime. How do you connect the transformer to the track. I find no specialized track section with connectors so I just soldered on some wire?????

Used a picture to ensure I got the wheels back on correctly. Also ordered new "fingers" for the tender unit.

Locomotive is done for the time being. Incredibly it runs with all the original parts including those bent up brush springs and resoldered winding wire. I was surprised when I connected power to it from the new transformer and it took off like a scared cat.

I have replacements for all, now that I'm comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together again it will be easy to replace all those defective parts.

Attachments

#62 ·
I have that track clip that Barry posted somewhere in my model railroad spares, often wondered what it went to.

I found it difficult to tin the rails, I was just using my pencil soldering iron, will have to get out the gun to do it right.

That box of ten headlight bulbs I bought won't fit in my S scale. Chinese, they are a thread to tall. Probably fit the Lionel O scales. Ordered some new ones along with "fingers" and the new tender to locomotive wires. Thinking about making my own and covering with heat shrink tubing until the cloth covered loom arrives.

#63 ·
New fingers and wiring loom should be here this week so I threw caution to the wind and soldered in new wires. Got the solenoid working the ratchet but no go on the locomotive.

Whole thing comes apart again, but thought I would give it a try. I know the engines motor works because I hard wired it.

Kind of anxious to get the smoke and chug chug going. But that HO BLI T1 Duplex with sound has my heart.

Attachments

#65 ·
The problem might be that the photo shows the wiring diagram for a 5 wire engine and there are only four wires going from the tender to the engine. If you are planning to convert this to a 5 wire hookup double check the connections, they are different in both the engine and the tender.

#66 ·
The wiring diagram shown IS for a 5 wire hook-up.And you are 100% correct, they are very different...And don't use those wires either, they're too stiff, use super-flex 22 gauge stuff. I was making up 5th wire connections for folks who wanted a plug in type that goes into the 5th wire jack, but I had no interest in the wiring so I quit making them. I think I have some around yet...

#69 ·
From my post above:

New fingers and wiring loom should be here this week

Wiring was for test purposes. Not to get excited it will be replaced. In fact I have new springs, armature, brushes, and windings all to be replaced.

Found these people on ebay. Great service from them, got the items today.

Attachments

#70 ·
I use fingers that are riveted to a white fiber-board. They are stiff and thick, and should last a hundred years... As for the wiring, I buy the 4 wire cloth-covered wire by the foot from my supplier, it's around $1 per foot, and I usually get 12 feet or so.That knocks the price down to .50 cents for a wire harness for a 302 style loco or a 312 style loco. You probably paid around $5 bucks or so plus shipping for your harness. I also get 22 or 24 gauge super-flex wire for .50 cents a foot. I can get it cheaper but you have to buy larger quantities, say 100' or so. Just saying, whatever works for you.

#73 ·
If you keep it to one Flyer, you are a better man than me. I wanted 3, then it went to 7,
and then 10. Somewhere around 20 now. I am pretty much done buying engines now.
I tend to go a little overboard on hobbies. HO was a fiasco. Over 130 HO locomotives.
500 rolling stock. All boxed now. This includes 3 Big Boys. No one needs 3 Big Boys. But, at the time I NEEDED THEM. LOL. I have a one car size storage unit rented for my toys. I need help but won't go to the doctor.

#74 ·
Thanks guy, and I think that we are peas in a pod.

I feel your pain, but it's a pain that when it's bad it feels so good. A few months ago I had about five HO locomotives, left overs from what I had sold on ebay some 25 years ago when I got out of the hobby forever, or so I thought.

Now I would hate to add up all the trains (steam, diesel, rolling stock, accessories) that I have purchased in the last four months. I just know that it has drastically depleted my mad money account.

Son was over this morning and figured out what I had done wrong with 302. Embarrassing, so I won't elaborate. Suffice it to say, I'm 82 and don't read anymore. Just jump right in. You really can't teach an old dog new tricks.

There might be a couple of my originals shown, but most have been bought recently. Nothing spectacular outside of the Y6 Mallets and Big Boys and many of the others were purchased as parts engines, but I enjoy them all.

Bureau is filled with stuff I have no room for on the displays. Still save all the boxes. Boxes within boxes. Makes no sense. :)

Attachments

#75 ·
There are a lot of HO engines there. You have a neat setup. It is possible to store a lot of HO in a small space, S gauge seems to take relatively more space than the difference in scale would indicate. I have a relatively small AF collection but it takes a 200 sq ft room to store it, that does not count the space taken up by the layouts.
By the way Mopac, I think you need as many BigBoys as there are different road numbers available. I only have one because Lionel only made 4014 in S gauge.

#76 ·
I just started iam only 60 the young pup my wife and kids ask what i will do with all that after i said when it comes to a point i cant do it any more i will sell them no one in my faimly is into trains i do it because it is fun and i enjoy going to the the shows and talking to u guys

#79 ·
Thanks, first indication that I might be obsessed with model railroading years ago. One of my first models bought many years ago and safely tucked away. Love the old American 4-4-0's.

"Won" another on ebay last night. Snipped at the last second by someone that thought he would like it more than I would. Not so. My proxy was high enough to ward off interlopers. Cost me another nine bucks running the total minus shipping to $21 and change.

Some would think - not worth it. But I need the parts totaling to more than $40 if bought individually.

But, I will probably restore it as it's the lighted edition.

Still working up the courage to solder in the new parts on the S scale. I may leave that to my son who has steadier hands.

Bought three transformers. The first one did not function at all. The second and third bought as a pair not much better but the lesser of the two (75W vs. 100) works fine but needs a new power cord. Other one shows 15VAC across the outer terminals but no variable AC at all.

Attachments

#80 ·
I like the American 4-4-0s but I only have one. It is a Bachmann with motor in tender.
A very poor runner. I am planning a park scene on my HO layout and it will be a static
display in the park with a small fence around it. Similar to Horse Shoe Bend area park.
They are beautiful locomotives but so small they are normally not good runners. I do
have a 4-4-0 that is a great runner. Bachmann Spectrum. Modern 4-4-0. DCC and sound. It is belt driven, no gears. Almost unbelievable how smooth it runs. I almost did
not buy it when I found out it was belt driven. I read reviews on it and they were good.
Glad I bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.