newbie - Page 5 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #41
firescales22
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: N scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrjim1 View Post
NO! N-scale loco reviews here, check them out.

http://www.spookshow.net/
this is the piece of crap i have

http://www.spookshow.net/loco/yugogp40.html
firescales22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 02:32 PM   #42
firescales22
Brakeman

post removed

Last edited by firescales22; 01-11-2020 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: to remove post
Old 01-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #43
firescales22
Brakeman

Here’s my layout

Old 01-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #44
firescales22
Brakeman

Here it is
Old 01-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #45
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by firescales22 View Post
Ok @CTVallyRR I’m sorry 😐 i just have a lot going on that’s all
Just came back to this thread. You're right (everyone who has commented), my comment was needlessly snippy, and I apologize.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:03 AM   #46
firescales22
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Just came back to this thread. You're right (everyone who has commented), my comment was needlessly snippy, and I apologize.

no prob
Old 01-10-2020, 11:57 PM   #47
CTValleyRR
Train Master

Scales Modeled: HO
Looks like a good start on that layout!

Two questions, though (no right or wrong answers, just curious):
1) Do you have any plans for that large open area in the middle? You could put an industry there, or a nice landscape feature (a lake, a farm, whatever strikes your fancy).
2) Why did you use so much foam under it? One of those pieces would be plenty.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing." --George Bernard Shaw
CTValleyRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:16 AM   #48
firescales22
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTValleyRR View Post
Looks like a good start on that layout!

Two questions, though (no right or wrong answers, just curious):
1) Do you have any plans for that large open area in the middle? You could put an industry there, or a nice landscape feature (a lake, a farm, whatever strikes your fancy).
2) Why did you use so much foam under it? One of those pieces would be plenty.

answer for question 1 that is where the town and something else will be i have not decided yet

answer 2 those foam pieces where on the floor and i had to move the table so i could put my cars locos ect. on it so they were not on the floor and i put the foam on the table then promptly forgot thy where there and started painting also originaly planned a bigger layout but i found this forum and many posts warned against it so did not make it so big
Old 01-11-2020, 12:41 PM   #49
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Edge running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firescales22 View Post
answer for question 1 that is where the town and something else will be i have not decided yet

answer 2 those foam pieces where on the floor and i had to move the table so i could put my cars locos ect. on it so they were not on the floor and i put the foam on the table then promptly forgot thy where there and started painting also originaly planned a bigger layout but i found this forum and many posts warned against it so did not make it so big
firescales22;

Looks good so far! There is one safety improvement I'd recommend. Move your track in away from the table edges. Using a smaller oval, and the same arrangement of turnouts & sidings, You should be able to shrink the same track plan you already have down to the point where the track isn't running right next to the table edge.
You have told us that you are young (13) and don't have much money. I'm recommending shrinking the oval to help prevent a locomotive, or cars from falling over the table edge, down to the floor and being damaged.
Another possible advantage of going a little smaller is that you can have buildings, trees, or other scenery, outside the oval. These things can act as safety barriers, to stop a train from going over the edge. Some modelers even install a clear plastic wall along the outside edges where a train might fall.
If you decide to shrink the oval, another thing you might consider is angling that oval so it's not dead parallel to the long edge of the table. This can actually make the same track arrangement look a bit more interesting and less predictable. It can also open up some interesting spaces for industries and scenery. I'll give you one example. The coal mine building you have could have the end that now faces the brown wall, butted up against your mountain. The idea behind that placement is that small mine railroad cars move the coal out of an unseen mineshaft in the mountain and into the mine building. Then It can be dumped into hopper cars spotted on the siding underneath the building, as you have it now.
All these are just suggestions for you to think about, and decide if you want to use them or not.

good luck & have fun;

Traction Fan
Old 01-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #50
firescales22
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
firescales22;

Looks good so far! There is one safety improvement I'd recommend. Move your track in away from the table edges. Using a smaller oval, and the same arrangement of turnouts & sidings, You should be able to shrink the same track plan you already have down to the point where the track isn't running right next to the table edge.
You have told us that you are young (13) and don't have much money. I'm recommending shrinking the oval to help prevent a locomotive, or cars from falling over the table edge, down to the floor and being damaged.
Another possible advantage of going a little smaller is that you can have buildings, trees, or other scenery, outside the oval. These things can act as safety barriers, to stop a train from going over the edge. Some modelers even install a clear plastic wall along the outside edges where a train might fall.
If you decide to shrink the oval, another thing you might consider is angling that oval so it's not dead parallel to the long edge of the table. This can actually make the same track arrangement look a bit more interesting and less predictable. It can also open up some interesting spaces for industries and scenery. I'll give you one example.The coal mine building you have could have the end that now faces the brown wall, butted up against your mountain. The idea behind that placement is that small mine railroad cars move the coal out of an unseen mineshaft in the mountain and into the mine building. Then It can be dumped into hopper cars spotted on the siding underneath the building, as you have it now.[/B][/B]The coal mine building you have could have the end that now faces the brown wall, butted up against your mountain. The idea behind that placement is that small mine railroad cars move the coal out of an unseen mineshaft in the mountain and into the mine building. Then It can be dumped into hopper cars spotted on the siding underneath the building, as you have it now.[/B][/B] for you to think about, and decide if you want to use them or not.

good luck & have fun;

Traction Fan

ok that makes more sense and i shall rearrange the track

Last edited by firescales22; 01-11-2020 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: forgot to bold