Lakeshore Southern Railway - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
WIrailfan
Brakeman

Scales Modeled: HO
Lakeshore Southern Railway

Hi everyone! Here's where I'm going to document the progress on my return to model trains The Lakeshore Southern Railway is set in a fictitious suburb of Milwaukee, WI. Time period has yet to be decided. It will be HO scale using Atlas code 100 flex track and Peco Insulfrog turnouts. I originally had just a 4X8 bench from a previous layout my dad built when I was a kid. I realized I had room for a lot more so I built a second 4X8 table to make an 8X12 L shaped layout! Here's some pics of the bench build and DCC wiring, and one of the layout I'm going with

Since those pics were taken I finished the wiring, got the OSB back on and glued the foams down (used Liquid Nails.....worked great!). Last night I started drawing out the layout using my homemade trammel I have my Woodland Scenics foam roadbed coiled up the opposite way so it'll be flat when I start gluing it down. Hopefully in a day or so. Here's some pics of how she sits now....

Till next time

Last edited by WIrailfan; 12-21-2017 at 12:12 AM..
WIrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
Gramps
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
Good luck and keep us updated.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
WIrailfan
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
Good luck and keep us updated.
Thanks Gramps will do!

Old 05-01-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
WIrailfan
Brakeman

More pics added
Old 05-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

Instead of making jumper wires, you might try these shorting bars
http://www.frys.com/product/6010078?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Then you could put the drops on either side of the barrier strips. Might even be cheaper that 2 terminals and the wire!
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #6
flyboy2610
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO, too blind and fumble fingered for N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhawk View Post

Then you could put the drops on either side of the barrier strips. Might even be cheaper that 2 terminals and the wire!
What I did is to strip all the insulation off a piece of 18 gauge wire and then loop it around the screws on the upper side of the terminal strip. Serves the same purpose and I already had the wire on hand.
That is an interesting layout, and looks like a lot of fun. One thing I see that causes some concern, though, is the two industrial spurs on the left hand side of the layout. Those appear to be facing point spurs, and what that means is that the locomotive will be pushing the cars onto the spurs moving in a forward direction, rather than backing the cars onto the spurs as will be the case on the other spur, and the yard on the right hand side of the layout. The problem comes when it is time to retrieve the cars off those two spurs. The locomotive will approach the cars in a forward direction, couple on to them, and pull them backwards off the spurs and on to the yard lead. Now the problem shows up: How do you get the locomotive back in FRONT of the car? The only way to do this is to push the car out onto the mainline, uncouple, and then run the locomotive in reverse all the way around the layout until it is back in front of the car. If you are okay with doing this, then no problem. Otherwise you might want to try and work some type of run around track into the yard lead.
A run around track is a short length of track with turnouts at either end, and the turnouts are connected with a short length of track. Then you can spot the car on the 1st short length of track, back through the turnout, then go forward through the turnout, over the second short length of track and past the car. You then go through the second turnout, throw the switch, back through the turnout you just went through, and couple onto the other end of the car.
Here's a Wiki article with a diagram that explains what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headshunt
flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
WIrailfan
Brakeman

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.....that definitely would have saved making ALL those jumpers lol.......but the wiring is all done and under the foam now! Wished I'd seen those before!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #8
Lemonhawk
Dispatcher

There is always a next time WIrailfan. For a more elegant and much more expensive connection method look at Anderson Power Pole connectors. These are really great for connecting power on modular units, and its a connector that is sex-less so the connection works no matter which end of your module you want to connect up!
Lemonhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
raleets
Station Master

Quote:

Dang! Where have those suckers been hiding?? Sure wish I'd have known about them around five years ago.....would've saved me a ton of time/work in wiring.
Bob
raleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #10
WIrailfan
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy2610 View Post
What I did is to strip all the insulation off a piece of 18 gauge wire and then loop it around the screws on the upper side of the terminal strip. Serves the same purpose and I already had the wire on hand.
That is an interesting layout, and looks like a lot of fun. One thing I see that causes some concern, though, is the two industrial spurs on the left hand side of the layout. Those appear to be facing point spurs, and what that means is that the locomotive will be pushing the cars onto the spurs moving in a forward direction, rather than backing the cars onto the spurs as will be the case on the other spur, and the yard on the right hand side of the layout. The problem comes when it is time to retrieve the cars off those two spurs. The locomotive will approach the cars in a forward direction, couple on to them, and pull them backwards off the spurs and on to the yard lead. Now the problem shows up: How do you get the locomotive back in FRONT of the car? The only way to do this is to push the car out onto the mainline, uncouple, and then run the locomotive in reverse all the way around the layout until it is back in front of the car. If you are okay with doing this, then no problem. Otherwise you might want to try and work some type of run around track into the yard lead.
A run around track is a short length of track with turnouts at either end, and the turnouts are connected with a short length of track. Then you can spot the car on the 1st short length of track, back through the turnout, then go forward through the turnout, over the second short length of track and past the car. You then go through the second turnout, throw the switch, back through the turnout you just went through, and couple onto the other end of the car.
Here's a Wiki article with a diagram that explains what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headshunt
That's a unique way to do it flyboy.....wouldn't have thought of that And that's an interesting point you brought up.........I guess I'm ok with going all the way around for now haha!! I didn't design the layout (couldn't figure out the track planners) although I'm open to suggestions to fix it! I'll give that link a look too! Thanks for the suggestions