Model Train Forum banner

Scratch built RR station

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Patrick1544 
#1 ·
I'm scratch building the RR station in Pawling, NY, my hometown. It's a none functional station that will sit on top of my helix. I'm not even sure what scale it is. S, O or in between?

Scale model Transport Architecture Track Vehicle

Scale model Vehicle Building Car House

George

See less See more
#16 ·
Finished the display case and stand for my 1953 Pawling station model. The station is now on display in the 2nd Pawling station after the one I modeled burnt down in 1984. The stand was fairly easy to construct the plexiglass display cover was a pain. If I bought one the price would have been $200.00. I saved about $130.00 building it myself. It's not easy material to work with but it's done.

George Furniture Table Display case Room Antique

#19 ·
I used to run a Conrail freight job (WNDA-1) that went from Danbury to Wassaic, up the Harlem line through Pawling (from early 1983 on-and-off until about 1990).

I'll reckon we went by the old station before it burned, but so long ago I don't remember!

I do remember that just south of town, there was a house close to the tracks, and the owner would flash a porch light on and off as we came by...

#20 ·
J the station burn down 11/30/84 but it stopped being a station long before that. Around 1970 it was sold to the Lumelite Plastic Corporation for product storage and a new smaller station was built. This is where the my station model is being displayed now but even that is no longer a station. The old station was the largest on the upper Harlem Division because it was the half way point between North Adams, Mass. where the trains originated and Grand Central Station. Most trains had a 20 minute steam engine water stop there which gave passenger's a chance to get a bite to eat at the station diner. The people who waved at you were my neighbor's parents. They lived in that house.

George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.