New Member Layout Photos - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Multimedia > Model Train Photo Gallery
Forgotten your password?

Model Train Photo Gallery Post model train pics in here.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelFan View Post
Hello, I am a new member here and thought I would post some photos of my layout and train room. I started building my layout 20-years ago but have not worked on it for about five years.

I hope you enjoy the photographs.

Attachment 498030

Attachment 498032

Attachment 498034

Attachment 498036
LionelFan;

First of all your layout, your train collection, and your train room decor, all look fantastic!
You mentioned, in an earlier post, that age was keeping you from getting under the table. (I know the feeling!) Do you need to get into the middle access hole much?

Much as I detest "Duck Under" access of any sort; I have an unavoidable "crawl under" access hole on my N-scale layout. This was OK, sort of, when I was younger and more flexible, It's a different story now that I am neither young, nor flexible!
I "converted" it into a "Sit down and roll under" by using a small, caster-equipped, round red rolling stool from Harbor Freight tools. www.harborfreighttools.com Maybe that will help you get under too?

Regards;

Traction Fan
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #12
LionelFan
Hobo

traction fan,

I can still get under my table, but I pay for it dearly the next day.

You may already know this, with Lionel there are lots of items that "work" if they are wired up. I really like lights on my layouts, but each light means wiring it with electricity. I already have some equipment that works ie: old Lionel whistle, some crossing lights and others.

I have a Lionel hobby shop, last photo next to the McDonald's on my layout, and when electrified it has a working layout w/train that runs inside of it. But I will probably never wire it to run. Such is life, but I enjoy what I already have.

Last edited by LionelFan; 06-12-2019 at 09:59 AM..
LionelFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
DennyM
Station Master

Scales Modeled: O, On30, HO gauges
Lionfan, very nice layout. That's quite a collection you have.

Southwest Michigan Modular Railroad Club
TCA #16-71617

Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgement
DennyM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #14
LionelFan
Hobo

Thank you DennyM. Buying/building Lionel has been an almost 40-year hobby for me.

I started buying Lionel equipment some 10 years before I built a Lionel layout. I just kept stacking track and trains on a shelf. My wife kept asking me what I was going to do with it. I kept telling her I was going to build a O gauge railroad. She kept telling me we didn't have room. This went on for years.

Then we moved to a house with a basement!!! What a railroad. But we moved again and I downsized my railroad to the one I now have had for almost 20-years.

Buying Lionel equipment took great faith that I would someday build an O scale railroad, and it took great patience by my wife to put up with my buying Lionel equipment. It was worth the effort.

Last edited by LionelFan; 06-12-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #15
Panther
Engineer

Nice set up.
Is that Daylight Special on the top shelf O gauge or HO ?
Could you tell me who made it ?
Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 PM   #16
LionelFan
Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Nice set up.
Is that Daylight Special on the top shelf O gauge or HO ?
Could you tell me who made it ?
Dan
Yes I bought the Lionel O Daylight Special new. If I remember correctly I also bought one extra car that came out later. This was back around 25 years ago so. I never actually ran it, just thought it was special!
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 PM   #17
LionelFan
Hobo

Thought I would add a photo of my engine section.

Engine Section.JPG
Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Whatever works

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionelFan View Post
traction fan,

I can still get under my table, but I pay for it dearly the next day.

You may already know this, with Lionel there are lots of items that "work" if they are wired up. I really like lights on my layouts, but each light means wiring it with electricity. I already have some equipment that works ie: old Lionel whistle, some crossing lights and others.

I have a Lionel hobby shop, last photo next to the McDonald's on my layout, and when electrified it has a working layout w/train that runs inside of it. But I will probably never wire it to run. Such is life, but I enjoy what I already have.
LionelFan;

As long as you're having fun, and the system you have works for you, that's all that matters. I don't like the sound of that "I pay dearly the next day," though. I have "been there, and done that."
It would probably be physically possible, though very painful, for me to crawl back to the access hole on my layout.
Since having my knees replaced several years ago, crawling, or even getting down on a knee, hurts a lot. I find the rolling stool idea a whole lot more comfortable. I checked the Harbor Freight website and I could not find the same stool that I use. Maybe they don't carry it anymore. A goggle search showed that Home Depot carries the exact same stool, and Walmart and Amazon have similar stools. They are listed under "Rolling stools, medical" if you want to take a look.

Yes, I remember O-gage Lionel and all the operating accessories. Great stuff! My first experience with electric trains was a Lionel O-gage layout that my brother and I had many years ago. I also remember the great Christmas Lionel train displays at a local department store. Boy's heaven!

While I still like Lionel trains, (Who doesn't! ) as I moved on into HO-scale, and later into N-scale, I got involved in trying to make each layout more realistic looking, and operating. For instance, my present N-scale layout is based on the Milwaukee Road in the Seattle Washington area. I model two eras, the 1920s & the 1950s. My particular interest is in passenger service, and electric locomotives (hence the Milwaukee Rd.)
Seattle is a bit unusual in that four big, transcontinental lines all terminated within a single city block. The Northern Pacific, and Great Northern used King St. Station, and the Union Pacific, and Milwaukee Road, used Seattle Union Station. Both beautiful stations have been preserved, and restored. The two are also right across the street from each other. Amtrak still uses King St. Station and Union station is used as a public meeting hall. The photos below show my N-scale model of Seattle Union Station.
Back in the times I model, the Northwest Limited, Empire Builder, Union Pacific's M-10000 & "Cites" streamliners, and The Olympian Hiawatha. Would all have been calling at these two stations, along with dozens of other, less famous, trains.

As for wiring structure lights, You might find it easier to use above-the-table wiring. There are lots of very flat ribbon cables available that could be laid on top of the plywood, and under say, a grass mat, or streets/other scenery. Another possibility, especially doable in O-gage, would be to use small gage magnet wire, strung on telephone/power poles, with drops to feed power into the buildings, just like the real thing!

Since nobody but the fictional "Benjamin Button" grows any younger over time, You might consider some sort of long-term plan to allow you to continue using, and repairing as needed, your nice layout.
How much clearance is there between the bottom of your train layout and the floor? The lower level of my layout is 48" above the floor, and the upper level is 66" off the floor. My rolling stool, at it's minimum height adjustment, is 17" high. I'm 6'-6" tall and I can roll under my layout on the stool. With some ducking, I can roll under in my office chair with it's seat 21" above the floor.
My layout is actually higher than I want it, now that I can't stand up for very long. When we move up to Oregon, in two years, I plan to drop the height a foot, so I guess I'll need a shorter stool.

Keep on having fun!

Traction Fan

Seattle union station concourse end 1.JPG

Seattle Union Station side view.JPG

Seattle Union Station 4.JPG

Seattle Union Station top view.JPG

Last edited by traction fan; 06-14-2019 at 10:03 AM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #19
LionelFan
Hobo

traction fan,

Very nice union Station!
Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 PM   #20
Big Ed
Railroad Tycoon

Scales Modeled: O right now. HO packed/ small N scale table, G scale for under the Christmas tree.
Thumbs up

Nice.......a Classic.

What are the bottles in the one picture?

You say they might never get lighted?
Why?
Because it would involve going under the table?

Central Railroad of New Jersey
Big Ed is offline   Reply With Quote