Intermodal Containers question - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > N Scale
Forgotten your password?

N Scale Atlas, Life-Like, Graham Farish, Micro-Trains, Minitrix and other N scale discussion.

Old 10-09-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
GNfan
Engineer

Scales Modeled: N
Quote:
Originally Posted by traction fan View Post
GNfan;
Can you get at one of the magnets and flip it over?
Like a lot of these, the floor appears to be made of a different material, and I suppose you could probably pry it out and remove the magnets. I was just surprised to see it, and it makes me wonder if these things "play nice" with decoupling magnets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #12
traction fan
Station Master

West Uncouple,? Jump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNfan View Post
Like a lot of these, the floor appears to be made of a different material, and I suppose you could probably pry it out and remove the magnets. I was just surprised to see it, and it makes me wonder if these things "play nice" with decoupling magnets.
GNfan;

I doubt the magnets inside your containers would cause an unplanned uncoupling. Even riding low in a well car, they wouldn't be close enough to the couplers to interfere with them. Also the container magnets are likely "aimed" downward, in terms of their magnetic field. Uncoupling magnets create a sideways field in order to swing the steel trip pins out to the sides. It's not that easy to take any old magnet and uncouple Micro-Trains couplers. The magnet(s) need to be set up right.

However, it may possibly be that a magnet-equipped container might try jumping upward, or trying to stick the car down on the uncoupler, (depending on magnet orientation) when it passes over one. Only trying will tell for certain, but again the vertical vs. horizontal field orientation would probably prevent this. Try it and see.

regards;

Traction Fan
Old 10-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #13
GNfan
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNfan View Post
Like a lot of these, the floor appears to be made of a different material, and I suppose you could probably pry it out and remove the magnets.
Update: It turns out that all that holds the floor in is magnetic attraction between the magnet glued to the inside of the floor and the little metal plate glued to the inside of the roof. The floors come out easily and are the one place where these aren't detailed. Since mine are destined to be scenery, I took the floors and magnets out.

These are strong little magnets. I don't have a well car to see what would happen if one of these passed over a Micro-trains uncoupling magnet set between the rails. Someone should try it.