Introduce yourself here! - Page 766 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > General Model Train Forum Discussion > New Member Introduction
Forgotten your password?

New Member Introduction New to the forum? Come in here and introduce yourself!

Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #7651
Tonino
Hobo

I strongly 2nd Traction Fan's recommendation. Not in the kitchen, especially up high. Airborne oil and grease particles collect up there via rising heat even with a vent hood over the cooking surface. Anything stored on top of kitchen cabinets has to come down for periodic cleanings. The particles coat everything and then airborne dust clings to it making it icky sticky worse. Think it through a little longer.
Tonino
Tonino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #7652
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Wye turnout/spring switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfair View Post
Bill Fair here, I’ve just finished 52 years in the auction business and now am full time care giver for my mate. We have always had some kind of train setup going with kids coming in and out of participation depending on age and circumstances. Now I have the project to myself and it is my second top priority. My life MO is to plunge in to what I am doing and learn as I go, errors are learning experiences, all events in life can be viewed as positive. To date I have committed every error found in ALL the YouTube lectures titled “Avoid These Beginners Mistakes”. Have discovered my greatest joy is freelance modeling of weathered industrial.

Current situation is a 27’x12’ DCC dogbone being rewired for two reverse loops. Today’s problem: Can I use a Y turnout and just drive the train through the switch regardless of point setting? On the first one attempted the little switcher stalled at the frog (too short? Wrong track element? [Walthers DCC friendly]). Would like the same arrange for the other mainline join using #6 turnout. Who to ask?

Attached are a couple photos for flavor. The process has taken so long one of the buildings has gone into foreclosure . If photos don’t show here see membership profile. Thanks

Bill;

Regarding your "Y turnout" question;
On the prototype, what you're trying to do would use a "spring switch." The points would not be rigidly locked in place, but rather held by a spring. The locomotive's wheels would push the points into position, no matter which way the turnout was thrown. Bye the way, it wouldn't need to be a wye turnout, the same system could be used on any turnout.

Meanwhile, in the model world, we have other considerations.
1) Electricity needs to pass up from the rails into the locomotive.
2) Our cars are a whole lot lighter than real ones. If the points are set "the wrong way," those light cars are likely to derail.
3) If it's a small switcher approaching, how many of its few wheels pickup power?
4) Is the turnout's frog a metal, powered, one or is it unpowered?
5) Is the turnout a "current routing" type?

What you want to achieve has been done. One common system is to put a photocell, or other train sensor, on each of the tracks entering the wide end of the turnout. When the train approached it tripped the sensor of the track it was on. The sensor then operated the switch machine to align the points for the approaching train.

Actually duplicating a prototype "spring switch" in model form would require a very light spring. It would need to be light enough to not derail passing cars, but strong enough to reliably hold the points against a stock rail for either route. You would also need some means of selecting, and holding, a route when the train enters from the narrow end of the turnout. Good luck doing all that!

I recommend this. Use a metal frog turnout with the metal frog powered. It should also be an "isolated frog" which is not electrically connected to any other rails. Then use sensors and a switch machine to move the points based on a train's route of approach.

The attached file "All about turnouts" explains things like "isolated frog" powered/live frogs", and "current routing turnout" along with a lot of other info on turnouts and switch machines.

Traction Fan

All AboutTurnouts rev 4.pdf

Last edited by traction fan; 10-11-2019 at 10:56 AM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 PM   #7653
stephane
Hobo

Scales Modeled: H0
Hello, My name is Stéphane (Steven), I live in the south of France, near the city of Toulouse and near the border with Spain. I work in the French railways but I am fascinated by the Spanish and American railways. Fortunately, Google Translate exists because I speak very little English. It's easier in Spanish and of course in French.
Thank you for accepting me on your forum,
Stephane.
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #7654
Fury440
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Hi I'm Bill and I live in Calgary Alberta. I built my first layout (HO) in 1973-74 but unfortunately had to pack it away when I moved from Mississauga to Calgary 45 years ago. i've decided to see if i can get back into the hobby. First I need to unpack to find out if any of my bits and pieces are still useful or do I have a trunk load of antique junk!

While I'm figuring that out, i'll poke around to see just how far I am out of date. I may be crazy to get back into the hobby, mostly because it takes time to design, build and landscape a layout. At 77 I'm not sure how much time I have left to play, but I figure it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Cheers
Bill
Fury440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #7655
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
A hearty welcome to the new members, love to see folks from other countries posting, it gives you a perspective about railroading in other parts of the world.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #7656
traction fan
Station Master

USA Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephane View Post
Hello, My name is Stéphane (Steven), I live in the south of France, near the city of Toulouse and near the border with Spain. I work in the French railways but I am fascinated by the Spanish and American railways. Fortunately, Google Translate exists because I speak very little English. It's easier in Spanish and of course in French.
Thank you for accepting me on your forum,
Stephane.
Stephane;

Welcome to the forum! We are a large, international, group of model railroaders. Our members have experience levels ranging from zero, up to multiple decades. All who like model trains are welcome here.
Do you have a model railroad now? If so can you tell us a little bit about it? What scale do you use? How much space do you have for your layout? Is it based on a French railway like SNCF, or a Spanish railway, or an American railroad?
If you don't have a model railroad now, do you plan to build one?
If you have any questions for us, feel free to ask.

Traction Fan

Last edited by traction fan; 10-11-2019 at 12:13 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #7657
traction fan
Station Master

West Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury440 View Post
Hi I'm Bill and I live in Calgary Alberta. I built my first layout (HO) in 1973-74 but unfortunately had to pack it away when I moved from Mississauga to Calgary 45 years ago. i've decided to see if i can get back into the hobby. First I need to unpack to find out if any of my bits and pieces are still useful or do I have a trunk load of antique junk!

While I'm figuring that out, i'll poke around to see just how far I am out of date. I may be crazy to get back into the hobby, mostly because it takes time to design, build and landscape a layout. At 77 I'm not sure how much time I have left to play, but I figure it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

Cheers
Bill

Bill;

Welcome to the forum! Don't worry about your age, and whether or not you will be able to "finish" your railroad before that fat lady starts warming up!
We have members in their 80s. I'm 71 myself, and their are plenty of old timers around this forum. Besides who cares if you finish or not, as long as you have fun along the way? Remember the old joke about an older man getting a lengthy prison sentence? He says, "But your honor, I'm too old to serve that long a sentence." The judge replies, "That's alright, Just do the best you can."

Yes, model railroading has changed a lot in the last 45 years! New locomotives run smoother, and are more detailed, than older ones. That detailing is true of the cars too. The new control system, DCC, has revolutionized the way layouts are wired and trains are run. Scenery materials have improved a lot. The use of extruded foam insulation board as a layout/scenery base has also changed the way scenery is built. Fortunately all these changes have made building a layout easier, and to some degree, even faster. So there's hope for us yet, speaking as one old fart to another!

I wrote the files below for people who are just starting out on their first layout, but they may be helpful to someone starting over too? Feel free to read em. or ignore em' as you see fit.

Again Welcome;

Traction Fan

WHERE DO I START rev 4.pdf

1 How to build a better first layout.pdf

2 How to build a better first layout.pdf

3 & 4 How to build a better first layout.pdf

5 How to build a better first layout.pdf

6 How to build a better first layout.pdf

MODEL RAILROADING ON A BUDGET.pdf

Model Railroad Terminology 3.pdf

Improving Atlas turnouts pdf version.pdf
Old 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #7658
Fury440
Hobo

Scales Modeled: HO
Many thanks for your kind words. I have down loaded each of your pdf files and will now sit and digest them!

Cheers
Bill
Fury440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #7659
stephane
Hobo

Scales Modeled: H0
Hello and thank you "Traction Fan".

-I practice the railway from morning to evening, at work at scale 1: 1, and at home on the scale H0.
-I have a layout along a wall of a room. It has been under construction for about two years.
-It is a layout of the Spanish Railways (RENFE). Most locomotives and wagons come from this country. I also have some material from my country (France). Finally, two years ago I had the chance to spend a week in New York and bought a Union Pacific locomotive and four wagons.

As I live near the Spanish border, I have the opportunity to go there very often. (Spend the day in Rosas or a weekend in Barcelona).
I am of Spanish origin myself.

One of the stations where I work

IMG_3044.JPG

My layout

_copie-0_IMG_4970.jpg

Have a good day.
stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:01 PM   #7660
TommyT
Hobo

Hello everyone. My name is Tom Frazier and I live south of Miami Florida.

All my life I've had a dream of having a nice N or HO scale layout.

My RR interest is in modern German railroads (more about that in a minute) but also narrow gauge logging RR in HO, S or O scale.

I grew up in Germany in the 60's, 70's to 1981 and took many rides on german trains. about 15 years ago I purchased some locos rolling stock and track thinking that I would build a layout. Unfortunately it never happened. I ended up selling some of my things a few years ago but held on to a couple of my German Electric Locomotives hoping that one day I will buld a layout.

Fast forward to today. Unfortunately I have some recent health issues and no medical insurance and I have to sell my two locomotives. I am also a very active in the RC Aircraft community and go by the same TommyT in RCGroups where I have also started selling some of my things.

I don't want to deal with Ebay because of the exorbitant fees but also the scam buyers. If you are interested have a look in the N scale for sale forum where I will post shortly.

I hope to still get into Narrow gauge at some point in my life but at this point I have to get my medical bills paid.

Thanks and kind regards.
Tom Frazier
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote