questions on a 293 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > S Scale
Forgotten your password?

S Scale Get in here if you want the lowdown on S scale!

Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
mopac
Station Master

Scales Modeled: HO mainly, N, S, O, G
questions on a 293

I do not have a 293 and have been wanting one. For some reason
they seem to be at a higher price now on ebay than they were 6 months to a year ago. I have $92.00 of ebay bucks to spend by
nov 3. Other wise I would just wait to buy a 293. There is really nothing else I want right now. And I need to spend the money.
I think I should be able to buy a decent 293 for somewhere in the $70. That will not happen right now. Sellers are wanting 100.00 for junk. Not doing that. Some without the trailing wheels. I have found one for 70.00. Decent paint and lettering but untested (we know that means it does not run). It also has a rusty motor. Not crazy about that. I have found one for $100.00 with good paint and lettering, it is complete even with the coal pusher. The seller posted a video of it running. Good runner and smokes like crazy. Reverse unit works great. Good whitewalls. No rust. It seems to be a 1953 model. Its a 5 wire with wire plugs. Were some 293s direct wired? I know I would be happy with this one but 100.00 seems high. What do you guys think.

Added- its 100.00 plus 15 shipping. The pulmor tires appear good. The white stripe is not great but not bad. It does have a couple paint chips on the cow catcher, otherwise good paint.
mopac is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Matt_GNo27
Gang Labourer

Scales Modeled: O & S gauges
I think $100 plus shipping for a 293 is fair. Portlines Hobby has a 293 in excellent condition for $100 plus shipping, and I've always thought Doug's prices to be good, sometimes marginally higher than Ebay prices, but Doug is honest and fair. You know what you're getting.
Matt_GNo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
AmFlyer
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S gauge
A 293 that is accurately graded as E and that runs properly would be about $100. The problem I have with ebay is sellers call them E when they are really VG or maybe VG+ and price them as E condition.
I believe some 293's were direct wired, I think one of mine is. I know my 287 is direct wired (different engine.) It likely should be between $80 and $90 but if it looks perfect and runs great I would not be concerned about the price at the number he is asking.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
cramden
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: S
The 53 models and some 54 293's had the 5 wire(4 wire plug plus a single wire), I have a 293 from a boxed set(5525TBW) that is direct wired. It uses the rainbow 4 wire and a single black wire. A $100 is a fair price for an excellent graded one. $75 - $100 would still be a very nice one.
cramden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
mopac
Station Master

Not sure I would grade this one as excellent but it is nice. The white stripe is not great.
Was nice to see it run. I have till Nov 3, might lose this one and a better might not come along in time. But there might be one. I hate to overpay for anything. I sold new cars for a
living and people beat me up on price on every car I sold. And I sold thousands of cars. Nature of the beast.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
mopac
Station Master

Will have to look for another one. LOL, someone bought this one. Snooze you lose.
I guess someone else liked it also.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
AFnew2
Brakeman

York Train Show is coming up
Maybe someone can pick one up for you and mail it
AFnew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:48 PM   #8
mopac
Station Master

Big train show sat and sun here this weekend. I will go but do not expect much in S, but we shall see.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
flyernut
Yard Master

Alright already, you're breaking my heart,lol!! I have 3 of them, I think I can part with one. Let me check them out, they all run, light, smoke,etc. I'll post a picture.
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #10
flyernut
Yard Master

Here ya go.... #1 and #3 are the best, #2 having a cracked insulator. Graphics are nice on #1 and #3. Pul-mor tires on all 3 are great, nothing missing, broken, and all 3 have their original 3 color direct wiring..All have their coal pushers, but #1 is the only one with the original, #2 and #3 have repo's. Couplers work on all 3, and they have all been serviced...Give me some time and I'll test drive them to be sure of run-ability.If you want, I can add red jewels to the light posts on the back of the tender. I'm not looking for $100 bucks, but I do need to get $85 plus shipping..And no PayPal, from you a money order or a personal check.001.JPG

002.JPG
flyernut is offline   Reply With Quote