Long Island Rail Road-Oyster Bay Branch O scale - Page 22 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > My Layout
Forgotten your password?

My Layout Showcase your layout here - pictures, projects, progress, whatever!

Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #211
Spence
Yard Master

Scales Modeled: O
I don't know how I missed this post b ut found it today. What a beautiful build. I see it's been almost a year since you posted. I hope all is well and would love to see some updates.
Spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #212
Steamfan77
Brakeman

Thanks for the interest Gramps, I’m still plugging away. Thanks for the kind words Spence. I’ll post some updates.
Steamfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #213
Gramps
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
Glad to hear all is well.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #214
Steamfan77
Brakeman

This is the first structure I built for the layout. It's the Fairview Dairy from Atlas. I'm using it for Kurtz Ironworks. I used joint compound for the mortar joints, and gave everything a black wash.

Kurtz4.jpg

Kurtz3.jpg

Kurtz2.jpg

Kurtz1.jpg

Last edited by Steamfan77; 10-06-2019 at 04:25 PM..
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #215
Gramps
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: HO then G back to HO
Very nice, great attention to detail.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #216
Steamfan77
Brakeman

Thanks Gramps!
Old 10-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #217
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Excellent work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfan77 View Post
This is the first structure I built for the layout. It's the Fairview Dairy from Atlas. I'm using it for Kurtz Ironworks. I used joint compound for the mortar joints, and gave everything a black wash.

Attachment 510216

Attachment 510218

Attachment 510220

Attachment 510222

Steamfan77;

That is a fine looking structure! You did an excellent job! I've found that sometimes the mortar lines can sort of overwhelm the brick color, especially if the mortar is white. I see, in the last photo, That you did some weathering with your black wash. That's often a good idea as it can tone down the brightness of white mortar lines. If you compare that photo to the top one, before the wash,you'll see what I mean. The white sort of jumps out at you. In any case, it's a very nice looking structure! Well done!

In the photo below you can see how further suppressing of the white mortar lines looks. I don't know if that's something you want to try or not. Since your structure already looks great, maybe you'd rather leave it as is.

Traction Fan

Seattle union station concourse end 1.JPG
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #218
Steamfan77
Brakeman

Nice work Traction Fan! Can you describe your process? Another thing I do (but not on this structure) to dull the white is to mix the joint compound with a little flat black paint. When I applied it, the joint compound looked like a light gray. I only learned about that after I weathered this building.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:16 PM   #219
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West Chalk weathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamfan77 View Post
Nice work Traction Fan! Can you describe your process? Another thing I do (but not on this structure) to dull the white is to mix the joint compound with a little flat black paint. When I applied it, the joint compound looked like a light gray. I only learned about that after I weathered this building.
Steamfan77;

Mixing black paint into the joint compound, and the black wash, are both good ideas. If I remember correctly, this was your first structure build? If so, it's even more remarkable that it looks so great.

I do almost all my weathering with chalks. Years ago, I bought a basic set of pastel chalks* from the art department at my local Walmart for $3. I'm still using that set, along with a set of gray & black chalks, and a set of earth tones that I bought from Micro-Mark.
I first airbrush the red brick color on and let it dry overnight.

For mortar lines I just drag a stick of chalk across the pre-painted brick surface. Then I wipe the brick faces clean with a dry paper towel. I do sometimes use a black wash, but it will usually remove any chalk it encounters, so I may need to do the chalk over, after a wash.
Much more often I skip the wash, or any other liquid weathering material. Instead I "paint" with chalk. This process is exactly the same as painting with that "old school" set of children's water colors, in a long black tin box, that you may have had as a kid.
I wet a small artist's paint brush in water, and stroke it along a stick of chalk. Then I paint the chalk onto the model. At first, not much color shows. As the chalk dries, the color appears. With practice you can do all sorts of effects with chalk. By the way, you may have read about modelers "sealing" weathering chalks with Dulcote. I don't do this, since the Dulcote erases nearly all the chalk effects. I find that the chalk stays on just fine without any "sealing",even on models that get handled, like freight cars.
Any mistakes I make can be erased with water. I just rub a wet towel over the part I want to erase.
A brick building, especially an old one, seldom has every single mortar line showing the same color, or sometimes at all. Weather, airborne dirt & dust, and time, tend to dull and /or change the color, and prominence, of mortar lines. If you look again at my N-scale model of Seattle Union Station , you'll see some areas where the mortar doesn't show much at all, and others where it's fairly clean white. Also some mortar usually gets on the faces of some bricks, and sometimes used bricks are recycled into a new structure. The lower left corner of the single storey mezzanine part of the station shows this effect.

Below are some more photos of the station. It's all scratchbuilt, except for the two longer exterior walls. They are kitbashed from two different DPM kits. This is the centerpiece model for my layout, so I went a little crazy on it.

Traction Fan

* If you decide to try weathering with chalks, be sure to get "PASTEL CHALKS", not plain "pastels." The latter "pastels" are like crayons, and not at all suitable for weathering.

Seattle Union Station showing scratch built interior.JPG

Seattle Union Station side view.JPG

Last edited by traction fan; 10-09-2019 at 09:12 PM..
traction fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:30 PM   #220
Steamfan77
Brakeman

Thank you for explaining your process Traction Fan. Your station is a gem! I have used Pan Pastels on several structures and different parts of the layout. They are great to work with. I’ll post some more pictures of my ironworks building.

Andy