Lionel post war locomotive 2037 e unit - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Model Train Workshop > Technical Model Train Forum
Forgotten your password?

Technical Model Train Forum Discussion on advanced technical aspects.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Ashcat0526
Hobo

Lionel post war locomotive 2037 e unit

I am working on this locomotive and have come across something new to me. The e unit seems to be functioning correctly mechanically, but when I cycle it I get forward..neutral..reverse..neutral..nothing..neutr al..nothing..neutral..forward..neutral..reverse..n eutral then the nothing cycle again.

Any ideas? I am stumped.
Ashcat0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
santafe158
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O, HO, N
Sounds like the contact drum and/or fingers are either dirty or not touching properly. They're a bit tricky to work on, but it's all replaceable if you're up to the task. Take a peek and check for cleanliness first though, as they sometimes get dirty and don't make solid contact.

My Youtube Channel
santafe158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Ashcat0526
Hobo

Thanks santafe158, I had cleaned it up, so I did it again. It seems to have helped for a while then it went back to the previous issue. Now, it seems to have good power in reverse but almost no movement going forward. Is that an e unit issue also? I have fixed a bunch of engines, but this one has a new suprise around every corner.
Ashcat0526 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
teledoc
Super Moderator

Scales Modeled: Postwar/Prewar tinplate "O" scale
One thing you can try with the E unit, is alcohol (91% isopropyl, from drug stores), and Q tips. Remove the E unit from the frame, so you can get access to the drum & fingers. Wet the Q tip, and rotate the drum around the complete rotation, while rubbing the Q tip on the copper segments. That should cure the E unit problem, plus make sure all the fingers are making good contact. The issue of running better in reverse, than in forward, sounds like you need new brushes, and a good cleaning of the armature faces. I typically use 1200-1500 grit emery paper, to polish the armature faces. These steps should cure your issues.

"Prewar Tinplate fanatic”

Newly Appointed "Tinplate Wizard"
"The man behind the curtain????"
teledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
If all else fails, pick up a rebuild kit, around $12-15, it has the drum and all the fingers. It'll be an interesting experience to rebuild your first E-Unit, but they go faster after the first one.

Tags
e unit , o gauge