How Does Kato Stack Up Against The Others? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > HO Scale
Forgotten your password?

HO Scale Discussion of HO scale model trains.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #11
rvnmedic6869
Hobo

Scales Modeled: 0-27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaArea51 View Post
As nice as N scale is for having a lot in a small area or a huge layout in a large space I just look at prices between the N and HO and for a few dollars more get a larger scale.
I have a few different brands in HO, Kato,Atlas,Scaletrains,Intermountain,and Life like all are great running and have different degree of detail.
Look at both to see what is available for what you want to do.
Yeah, I've done a lot of researching online at both and decided to go with HO. I have a large, dry basement and can do as much as 12x 20' if I want to. Now reviewing a lot of layouts and benchwork designs, etc. Will be a good winter project up here in northern NY.
rvnmedic6869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 01:45 PM   #12
traction fan
Station Master

Scales Modeled: N
West For a few dollars more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaArea51 View Post
As nice as N scale is for having a lot in a small area or a huge layout in a large space I just look at prices between the N and HO and for a few dollars more get a larger scale.
I have a few different brands in HO, Kato,Atlas,Scaletrains,Intermountain,and Life like all are great running and have different degree of detail.
Look at both to see what is available for what you want to do.
CambriaArea51;

Very nice post!

Unless you're quoting the title of an Old Clint Eastwood "spaghetti western" I found it interesting that you paid "a few dollars more" to "get a larger scale." (presumably HO instead of N)
The interesting thing for me, as a long-time N-scaler, is that I've heard for years about how much cheaper HO-scale was than N-scale. Now you say your experience was just the opposite.

Often, when I was defending N-scale to some visiting (HO) yahoo at my old N-scale club, they would say something along the lines of "You can get a good engine in HO for $40" probably referring to an Athearn blue box kit. ($$$ This was many long years ago!$$$) "but in N-"gage" (they could never quite bring themselves to call it a scale.) A good locomotive (usually one made by Kato) costs twice as much!" I would then point out that if they actually bothered to make an honest, "apples to apples," comparison, then same model Kato locomotive in HO-scale and in N-scale were very close in price, usually a matter of a few dollars either way. You could also get noisy, cheaper, locomotives in N-scale.
Today Athearn sells locomotives in both scales, so do Lifelike, Atlas, and, as previously mentioned, Kato.
Intermountain makes a few N-scale car kits and replacement wheelsets, but I don't think they make N-scale locomotives. However, some of intermountain's HO-scale locomotives have Kato mechanisms, so there's plenty of crossover between the two scales.

None of this should be construed as me knocking HO-scale,(I don't) or even particularly promoting N-scale (though I often do that, since HO gets most of the promotion hereabouts.)
As you say in your last line. Each modeler should look at both HO-scale, and N-scale, (and the other scales as well), and see what's available for what they want to do.

Well said sir!

Traction Fan

Tags
ho engines , kato