Anyone tried to put an e unit in a Burro Crane? - Page 2 - Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource
Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource

Go Back   Model Train Forum - the complete model train resource > Scale Specific Model Train Forum > O Scale
Forgotten your password?

O Scale Atlas, Bachman, Hornby, K-Line, Lionel and classic toy train discussion.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
T-Man
Yard Master & Research

Scales Modeled: Lionel, S, HO
The video is great but I wanted the motor pictures with connections to a rectifier or are they DC motors to begin with?

How-To Column and Signature links Post number 4.

Links under O Scale Information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkM...BLo3pJN1FGE1Gg
T-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Grandpa Robert
Hobo

thanks for the tip John about the Dallee, their photo shows it next to a dime so i can get a sense if it would fit, it does look small enough. I still would like to hear from someone who's done this

dallee.com/e_units.htm
Grandpa Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
gunrunnerjohn
Admin

Scales Modeled: O-gauge 3-rail
Well, there's no doubt that the Dallee E-Unit will do the job, I'd just cut yourself a model of the board size and height and see if you can fit it into the shell.
gunrunnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
Dave Sams
Dispatcher

Scales Modeled: O and 1/8 scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Man View Post
The video is great but I wanted the motor pictures with connections to a rectifier or are they DC motors to begin with?
The handcar has a DC can motor. There is a small rectifier with the AC leads soldered to the frame and pickup. The DC leads then go to the motor. I removed the rectifier.

The ballast tamper had a rectifier in it, which I installed from a kit. The kit converted the AC/DC motor (universal) to a DC motor.

Here are the instructions that came with it, 20 years ago.

For $11.95, I got a rectifier and the instructions. But, I did learn how to make the conversion, and, the store owner told me how to make a converter for the transformer.

I used the largest rectifier sold at the Shack and a capacitor. The AC leads go to the transformer and the DC leads go to the track. The capacitor bridges the DC leads and helps boost the voltage.

A DPDT switch then is used between the AC/DC converter and the track to change the direction of travel.

BTW, I'm careful not to run the ballast tamper in reverse while in "tamping" mode. There are cams which would destroy the tamper action. For this reason, I did not attempt to convert the Burrow.

I'm having trouble deciding how to spend all of my Obama Care savings.

Last edited by Dave Sams; 02-12-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Dave Sams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro crane , e unit